This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ebay scams

Not sure if this is the right forum for it, but i will put it here...

I went to log into my ebay account today, around 2 o'clock, typed my user name & password - then went to sign it - it then came up with a message saying - User name invalid, strange as i did not change my user name, i then check my email address - to find an email for eBay saying that i have changed my eBay email address...

Now i asked my g/f if she has changed the user id, and she has not, i then start to worry - as i thought someone had got into my eBay account...

And i was right - i contacted ebay live support and they phoned my straight away saying that someone had got into my account and put 220 mobile phones up for sale...

the guy on the phone then said to me that various people are on ebay sending emails to random people with a link attached to them, he then said if you click the link, these f*cking people some how get your details...

Anyway thought i would let you guys know - just in case you get one of these emails...

Comment

What kind of emails are they? I always worry about my account.

Comment

the guy from ebay live support said to me, that people may recive an email (not from ebay) but a link to ebay - now if you click on the link these scum people get your details and try and sell things on your account. (thats all what he told me, he would not go into excat details - just said if i get an email like that or a bit a strange - contact ebay live support striaght away

Comment

Get those emails all the time. Don't ebay have a toolbar tool that detects if the web site is a spoof/fake web site?

Comment

Just wondering what our rights are on eBay if you decide you don't want to go ahead with a purchase for whatever reason. Obviously you get warned that when you enter a bid to buy, its a contract you're entering in to. But I'm also assuming you still have consumer rights despite the fact you're buying online nad not face to face?

Basically I've made an honest mistake on an item bought over the weekend, which the guy can see if he has a look at my feedback for example as I'm genuine. I've mailed the guy and asked him if he can refund my payment minus his listing and re-listing fee, but I've got a pretty negative email back from him. Obivously there's eBay's dispute/help system, but I'd rather not go down that route as I can see it getting drawn out.

Any advice?

Comment

Well, no one can force you to buy, but you run the risk of negatives, and a non-payment strike from ebay. I suppose if the seller really wanted to, they could try and sue you for the payment.

I understand him being negative though, it's happened to me about 4-5 times now when people have won an auction then contacted me and told me 'sorry I hadn't read the auction properly, and don't want it now' and it really winds me up. Unless the auction was worded in a misleading way, I think you should stump up the cash.

Comment

I've already paid and I've told the guy that if its a problem then just ship it to me and I'll re-sell. But I'm just a bit confused about how my rights are different while buying online compared to going into a shop and buying the item.

Comment

Originally posted by ascender
                  I've already paid and I've told the guy that if its a problem then just ship it to me and I'll re-sell. But I'm just a bit confused about how my rights are different while buying online compared to going into a shop and buying the item.
                  I'm not a lawyer but....

If you bid/buy on eBay you are entering into a contract to buy the item. It is the same as buying something in a shop, only most shops have a return policy in the interests of customer service/goodwill. If the item is as advertised and fit for the purpose it was sold for then they are under no obligation to take it back.

Again, I'm not a lawyer but I believe this is how it works.

Comment

As above, shops aren't obligated to take the goods back, unless there's a fault or its not fit for the purpose it was sold for. As you said "I've made an honest mistake", it doesn't look like he's done anything wrong. Like I said, if I was in his shoes, I wouldn't refund either (from the limited amount of info I have).

Also, is the seller a trader, or a private individual? If the latter, you have even less rights.

Comment

is ebay down?

Comment

Seems to be at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by ascender
                          It's not the same as buyiong from a shop, because when you buy from a shop there are no 'promises' involved - you get the item when you pay for it. With eBay, you are promising to buy the item before you actually do. If you change your mind then it's completely up to the seller whether or not to allow you to back out.

Comment

This ones been doing the rounds recently - a scammer owned http://www.amirtofangsazan.blogspot.com/

Oops noticed its here http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/showthread.php?t=59389
                            Last edited by Ginger Tosser; 27-05-2006, 23:39.

Comment

Did a quick search and it doesn't look like anyone noticed this one.

I thought I'd seen pretty much everything on eBay, but now you can have your very own Missile Base

Comment

Wonder if it comes with its own WMD's

Comment

Working...
                                X