No announcement yet.

Official F1/Motorsport thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assuming F1 hasn't fallen apart by then.

Comment

You're right Darwock, I don't know too much about the break away stuff that's going on but it does worry me a little that F1 as it is now may not be here in a couple of years time.

What's the deal with that? Care to give me a little background?

Comment

Well the current situation as I understand it:

Ferrari (one of the key members of the mutinous group) turned around and did a deal with Bernie Ecclestone to extend the concorde agreement for another 8 years. Thereby robbing the GPWC (breakaway group) of any viability it may have had as a rival for F1. However the other manufacturers are adamant that they will continue in their efforts to fom a new series....

Last week the FIA held a meeting of all teams to discuss measures of cost cutting etc.. an issue that many have the teams have been vigorously pushing for the past 2 seasons at least. They were never happy at the disparity between Ferrari's budget and theirs. So guess how many of the 10 teams turned up at the meeting? One. Ferrari. The others all boycotted it in protest at Ferrari's deal with FOA. This worried me, because while I don't want to see a breakway series diluting the sport, I don't want things staying as they are either.

This morning I've just read about some of the measures that Ferrari and the FIA agreed between them (I hate saying this - it gives fuel to those who say the FIA is Ferrari biased - but no other teams bothered to go!!) and it all sounds very positive. Slick tyres... STANDARD tyres.. even FIA approved ECU boxes. But I'm still a little cynical as I've heard it all before, but in the past the teams all voted to scrap the new rules before they were implemented.
        Last edited by Darwock; 04-02-2005, 10:04.

Comment

Please do, I know bugger all about this "break away".

Comment

^^

Comment

Thanks for that. The simple first step would seem to be standardisation, tyres are a must and trying to lessen the gap on the track between the 'leagues' of teams.

Whatever has been implemented in the past however always seems to go in Ferraris favour but this may well be down to their bank balance rather than the rules in place.

Time will tell I'm sure but tbh I think we're probably in for another red season.

Comment

Next year will be Ferrari again without a doubt. The other teams seem to have spent the entire off season squabbling and taking huffs. I'd be astonished if any of them have put in enough effort to provide some competition.

Comment

Championship will be a lot better when Mr Shoemaker decides to retire. I'd imagine Rubens and someone else actually having a fight with the other teams, even if they have the better car.

Comment

Heh, would we now be saying the same of Senna if he were still alive today I wonder (yes, I realise the age thing).

Comment

I agree that Ferrari will win but think Williams & McLaren will be more competitive from the off, Schumacher can and will be beaten, shame we'll never see him in another team/car.

Hey it's only about 5 weeks 'til the off

Comment

Heh, I hope you all recall how **** Ferrari used to be without Schuey's and everyone else's input. Wtf have all the other teams been doing meanwhile?

Comment

Don't include me in that - I have ****loads of respect for what Ferrari and Schumacher have achieved, and I do not consider it for one second to be purely because of their budget. It's a pity nobody else in the sport or media seems to want to give them that respect (hmm.. ok bit harsh - Patrick Head & Frank Williams give them kudos with regularity)

Comment

I agree that Ferrari have achieved a hell of a lot and I respect them for it. It's not all down to budget but having the money does enable you to sign the best driver and staff. Also, when the rules change, having a bigger budget lets you spend more on R&D to make the best of the changes/limitations.

Saying that, budget can only take you so far. So many people must be putting so much work into keeping them where they are. It does reflect badly on the other teams though, they should try harder! I just want to see more races being raced for instead of qualified for.

Comment

As regards the breakaway GPWC, it will never happen - especially now Ferrari have done a deal with Bernie. Its just something to give them better, collective bargaining power over the new Concorde agreement. Nowt to worry about I'm sure - Bernie will fix it! He always does

And as for this coming season..... the new Mclaren and Renault have both been very impressive in testing so far - I think it will be a much closer fought season for sure, and hopefully one in which Schuey won't bore us all by winning ANOTHER world championship.... actually, it wouldnt bother me too much if he did, as long as he had to fight for it this time!!

Getting v excited about it all now actually! Roll on 6th March! 8)

Comment

Minardi may be banned from starting at the Australian GP due to their new car not being ready and Ferrari being the idiots they usually are when it comes to legal situations and other teams.

Today, Stoddart has threatened legal action to ensure they race.

A telling quote from Stoddart:
                                I don't think it will come to that. I would like to think that sanity will prevail. But you never know in Formula 1.
                                Too true.

Comment

Working...
                                X