Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was looking at those two lenses a while ago Dan, and every review I found online rated the Tamron as a superior, though similar lens. I realise you're eager to upgrade but I think it's worth waiting for the one you think is right. Prevent regrets!

This review http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx compares the two at the bottom. He says "The Tamron focuses faster" and "The Tamron focuses much more accurately - My keeper rate is far higher with the Tamron." That alone would sell it for me.

Comment

Thanks Mag, that's pretty much what I had found, so I think I'll just hold my horses and get the Tamron. I was thinking about the Sigma as they provide a 3 year guarantee, but that link you gave me above says that Tamron supply a 6 year guarantee! I will wait and get the Tamron - I am just eager as you say but I've waited long enough so another week or two won't hurt (I hope it won't anyway )

[EDIT] Actually, that Tamron 6 year guarantee is only in the States - grrr!
      Last edited by funkydan; 23-03-2009, 12:19.

Comment

"One day" I keep telling myself when you guys talk about your lenses and DSLR's

In the mean time here's more from the G9... Kite flying, birds and friends ^ ^

Comment

Some lovely shots there Tommy! Where were they taken? I particularly like the one of the girl in white against the fence and the kite/sunset ones

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Ummm Mag, I'm not sure what just happened, but I seem to have inadvertently just bought a Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 EX DC lens from Ebay for £174 But I am happy with my purchase, so that's ok It's in good nick and saved me about £140-£150 on getting a new Tamron or Sigma - YAY!

Comment

Thanks Dan, and congrats on the purchase

The kite shots were taken in Maidstone just out of town and the bird shots were taken in Whitstable where I had my very first Oyster this weekend

Comment

Thanks, I'm excited about the lens now

Ewww, get rid of that oyster pic Tommy! :insert vomiting icon here:

Ah right, I'm just down the road from Maidstone in Paddock Wood - we should meet up for a photo or game sesh sometime

Comment

LOL

Yeah that would be awesome! Would enjoy picking your brains and checking out your camera and lenses

Comment

Originally posted by TommyG View Post
                  LOL

Yeah that would be awesome! Would enjoy picking your brains and checking out your camera and lenses
                  Cool mate, we'll sort something out. Is Maidstone where you live most of the time at the moment (as opposed to Blackburn)?

Comment

Sure is, I only go back to Blackburn about twice a year atm

Comment

Was at Twickenham on Saturday for the England vs Scotland match. Gave my new Olympus E-520 a chance to stretch its legs.

Here's a few shots:

You can see a few more here.

Comment

Took the kite to Camber Sands this afternoon, t'was lots of fun.

I really wish I had a long lens though because the seagulls came to say hello and snack on our picnic food. There's something that really interests me in taking photos of birds (the flying kind lol) I think they're so graceful and effortless surfing on the wind. Got a few half decent shots of them though..

Comment

Some really nice shots there Tommy, really like the bird ones.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Right well, I have my lens (Sigma 18-50mm f2.8), got it last week and am very happy with it. I hope to show you some shots with it soon.

With the money I saved by getting lens second-hand, I bought Photoshop Elements 7 so I can now start shooting in RAW as I have the facility to convert the NEF files now!

I had a meeting last night with some people with regards to the 2009 Hop Farm Festival, and they are keen to have me onboard as an official photographer for the festival

And, I am buying some strange little things from Ebay for a photography project I have in mind so watch this space

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

So.....what have YOU been doing?! Will everyone start to come out of the woodwork/hibernation now that the days are lighter for longer and (hopefully) the weather has started improving?!?!
                          Last edited by funkydan; 01-04-2009, 08:22.

Comment

Nice shots Tommy.

Paulos - surprised you got a DSLR into the stadium - quite a few people have problems getting one into football matches, as there are concerns over copyright and stuff apparently

Dan - Personally I've was laid up for a few weeks recovering from an operation, so haven't been out that much, although I did pop out from time to time (some stuff below). It's tricky finding the time to get out to be honest, between work and doing stuff with my wife and lads. I am saving for the new Nikon 35mm prime lens, and am planning to do some street stuff around the Square Mile (once all the riots have stopped..)

I did some modelling a while back, and the chicks are going crazy for my latest shoot

This is an old one I found on my hard drive

Comment

Originally posted by Garf View Post
                              Paulos - surprised you got a DSLR into the stadium - quite a few people have problems getting one into football matches, as there are concerns over copyright and stuff apparently
                              Just wandered in with it around my neck. They did the obligatory backpack search but didn't even glance at my camera bag.

Love your second shot and the sky in the second to last shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulos G View Post
                                Just wandered in with it around my neck. They did the obligatory backpack search but didn't even glance at my camera bag.

Love your second shot and the sky in the second to last shot.
                                Cheers - that actually is me on the poster - no April Fools... Click on it for more details on flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X