The Boxing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big Seany View Post
    Haye vs Maccanelli (sic) at the weekend. Should be a great fight - two great fighters, David Haye is the ladies choice as well (according to my wife).
    Er....It's on March 8th, Sean!!

But you're right - could potentially be the best fight British boxing has seen in AGES.

I'd have to take Haye to edge it as he's the better boxer, but Maccarinelli has the punching power to give Haye serious problems, without question.

Comment

Think Macca will win by KO, he's bound to catch Haye a few times over the course of twelve rounds.

Comment

Sorry, god knows why I thought it was this week.

Comment

Calzage vs Hopkins has been confirmed for Las Vegas on April 19th.

BBC, Sport, BBC Sport, bbc.co.uk, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Comment

Originally posted by Shoju View Post
            Calzage vs Hopkins has been confirmed for Las Vegas on April 19th.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/boxing/7172156.stm
            Nice, this should be good.

I wonder what the early odds will be at the bookies, if Calzaghe is the underdog im going to put a few quid on him outright.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewl View Post
              Nice, this should be good.

I wonder what the early odds will be at the bookies, if Calzaghe is the underdog im going to put a few quid on him outright.
              Well Joe's traveling to Hopkin's home country. He's never fought in America before nor anywhere else outside of the UK for a long time. He's also putting on extra weight to go up to Hopkin's division. Calzaghe has the advantage when it comes to age though being 6 years younger. Hopkins at 43 will probably be considered the underdog.

Comment

Am I alone in hoping this welsh fake gets a good hiding, been waiting since he hoovered up the remains of the classic super-middle era.

he justs waits til the names have peaked then fights them.

you can see it in his eyes when interviewed, he knows that despite his carefully manicured perfect record he will never be regarded up there with the greats, or even the really goods, of the domestic boxing scene.

Comment

Originally posted by merf View Post
                  Am I alone in hoping this welsh fake gets a good hiding, been waiting since he hoovered up the remains of the classic super-middle era.

you can see it in his eyes when interviewed, he knows that despite his carefully manicured perfect record he will never be regarded up there with the greats, or even the really goods, of the domestic boxing scene.
                  Hmm, a bit harsh. But I have this feeling like it'll never be proven either way now which is a shame.

Still, not bad for a kid whose father coached him knowing nothing about boxing and learnt techniques from books!

Comment

Originally posted by merf View Post

Nigel Benn himself admitted that if Joe had been around when he, Eubank and the others were in their prime then he would have beaten everyone.

The problem for Joe is there aren't really a lot of great recognizable opponents in his weight division. He's already beaten the best at SMW and won all the 4 main titles. Hopkins chickened out of fighting him 5 or 6 years ago and when he tried to get Jermain Taylor, Taylor wanted a ridiculous $10 million. Not sure who else he's supposed to be fighting?
                    Last edited by Shoju; 24-01-2008, 11:05.

Comment

amazing how he's constantly managed to dodge the big fights because the other people won't fight him isn't it ?

if he'd considered not fighting at home all the time then the purse wouldn't have been an issue.

its why the like of benn & hatton will in my mind always be thought of in a way Calzaghe never will. they made the big fights happen rather than whining on at home about nobody will fight me, they want too much money.

maybe to call him a bottler is too much as anybody who steps into the ring deserves a lot of respect, he'll just never be top draw in my mind cos he's never been willing to prove it.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidHolliss View Post
                        Think Macca will win by KO, he's bound to catch Haye a few times over the course of twelve rounds.
                        I disagree. In his last few fights, Haye has proven himself to have incredible fighting heart and spirit, especially when he recently fought Jean-Marc Mormeck in France (Mormeck's homeland) for the undisputed Cruiserweight crown, picking himself up off the canvas and storming back to stop Mormeck. I don't see any evidence of that from Macca, although his punching power and general all-round improvement under Enzo Calzaghe is duly noted.

Haye to win on points, if not by late stoppage!

Comment

Originally posted by Shoju View Post
                          Nigel Benn himself admitted that if Joe had been around when he, Eubank and the others were in their prime then he would have beaten everyone.
                          That I SERIOUSLY doubt. As much I as admire Nigel Benn, I'd have to disagree with him on that one.

Michael Watson, Gerald McClellan & Steve Collins to get beaten by Calzaghe while in their prime? Do me a favour!

Comment

Well Steve Collins did opt out of fighting Joe when he was the mandatory challenger for his belt and Eubank admitted to ducking Roy Jones.

The biggest fights out there for Calzaghe after Hopkins are the winner of the Pavilk vs Taylor rematch and undefeated light heavyweight champ Chad Dawson. If he gets those 3 fights and wins them he ought to be considered one of the best British fighters ever.

Comment

Khan fights tomorrow another "his biggest test yet" against an opponent must admit I've never heard of. Live on ITV1 I guess.

BBC, Sport, BBC Sport, bbc.co.uk, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Comment

Good name on paper, but wait until you see the size difference in the ring

Comment

Working...
                                X