No announcement yet.

The Boxing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its looking like Haye v Vitali might finally happen next march if the press is to be believed. Vitali has apparently come out and said he will take Haye, anytime, anywhere for a split pot next spring.

He's quoted as saying "Wladimir would kill him", so Vitali is looking like the first brother up.

Out of the two i would say Wladimir is superior. He's younger, quicker and more powerful. Vitali is knocking forty now and has been slipping for the last 5 years or so and upto that point, Wladimir wouldn't have held a candle to him.

Not sure Vitali has enough anymore to beat Haye but Wladimir certainly has, especially as Haye really hasn't been tested by or from any big punches/punchers.

It will definately be ****e sight more exciting than Fraudley

Comment

Haye has been tested once before at cruiserweight by Carl Thompson, he was widely regarded the biggest punching boxer at his weight for a long while. He lost that fight but mainly because Thompson took serious damage but never gave up.

Wladimir is the better fighter technically out of the two but I've seen fights in the past that would raise questions about his chin and his balls to get into a scrap. Any fight with those two against haye would be special occasions.

Comment

Haye has improved dramatically since that fight though. His defense is a million times better than it was when he was at cruiser.

He should have too much for Vitali though i don't think he will knock him out. It will more than likely go the distance unless he can land a bomb on his chin and then blast him. He'll have to box smart against the pair of them tho as these guys certainly aint Audrey.

A few are rainsing questions over his weight against the likes of the Klitshcko's but once you're above 14 stone, any bomb you land square on an opponent will be a KO 9 times out of 10.

should be good tho and will definately raise the profile to a respectable level again after the weekends fiasco

Comment

Haye vs any of the Vitali brothers has to happen next year for sure.

If its anything like Manny Pacquiao vs. Antonio Mararito on last Saturday, well, speed definitely kills! Video below...

Manny Pacquiao is a killing machine. Pound for Pound, I reckon he is the best boxer for sure. Maybe Floyd Mayweather has something to say about this...

Pacquiao vs Mayweather HAS to happen next year!!!!!

Comment

I've seen so many funny nicknames based on boxers recently:

A-Farce Fraudely Harrison
            A-Mere-Con
            Ricky Hugman Hatton
            Joke Calzaghe

And my favourite
            Kenducky Floyd Chicken

"Our birds are randomly bloodtested Olympic style for your safety"

Comment

Nobody watch Carl Froch?

Arguably one of the best British fighters for many many years, he loves a tear up but has some lovely boxing skill. He showed on Saturday night exactly how well he can box and he controlled the fight amazingly well.

Its such a shame he is only on primetime during the super 6 series. Frank Warren has recently been trying to butter him up in his Sun article after years of dismissing him so hopefully he'll get some better promotion for the next few fights. He is 32 though so he hasn't got ages left.

Comment

he is badly mismanaged at present, he's in a unification series for a competitive weight class and a boxing fan like myself didn't even know he was fighting at the weekend, don't even think it was on tv was it ?

Comment

it was on that primetime channel 480 but i saw the fight on a german channel ard das erste.

since setanta went under boxing on uk tv has gone down a bit as they used to have some good fights and would have shown froch.

david haye was at the fight on saturday night and kessler.

Comment

Yes Froch was excellent on saturday. Made a nice change to see him actually box smart and not brawl. He resisted the temptation to wade in for a KO which was intelligent as he was way ahead on points and won every round against a pretty decent and tough fighter.

It's a shame he's not on TV but a lot of that can be attributed to fraudley for taking the BBC's money years ago and disappearing over the horizon and a lot of non event boxers making a farce of the game in general. Even Khan hasn't really caught the publics imagination so the TV execs simply won't stump up the revenue required to put boxing back on prime time TV, and all Frank Warrens postulating won't change that as atm, there simply aren't any exciting fighters from our shores plying their trade at the highest level against the top operators.

Haye could reignite it if he beats both the klitscho's but even then, he said he will quit next year for hollywood so i wouldn't bet on it.

The only fight i'm excited about is Pacman vs Mayweather, but tbh i'm not entirely sure it will happen with Floyd continually making excuses to duck it and facing a possible 10 year stretch inside. If it doesn't happen by the end of next year, then it won't happen at all and that will be a travesty as it could be another legendary bout in the mould of the Duran/Hearns/Leonard era.
                    Last edited by NemesiS; 30-11-2010, 09:52.

Comment

Ordinary is far more entertaining outside the ring than in it, boxing can breathe a sigh of relief, he's 'fighting' on :-

Is he the most delusional sportsman ever ?

BBC, Sport, BBC Sport, bbc.co.uk, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

"Both styles of feinting and moving was off-setting the both of us in the first two rounds and I was just zoning in on his rhythm when he got through,"

"I give David credit as I never expected him to hurt me as he did, but anyone could see it was a premature stoppage and I should have been allowed to carry on and ride out the rough patch, even if that meant I would have got knocked out."

Comment

I knew Froch was fighting..I check the up and coming fights via Ladbrokes.
                        (You don't need to be a member, just click boxing and fights and dates are shown)

My brother has watched Froch fight live a few times, hes a massive fan of his.
                        I'm sure he was slight underdog for the fight he won too.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrock View Post
                          Nobody watch Carl Froch?

Arguably one of the best British fighters for many many years, he loves a tear up but has some lovely boxing skill. He showed on Saturday night exactly how well he can box and he controlled the fight amazingly well.

Its such a shame he is only on primetime during the super 6 series. Frank Warren has recently been trying to butter him up in his Sun article after years of dismissing him so hopefully he'll get some better promotion for the next few fights. He is 32 though so he hasn't got ages left.
                          Yeah Froch has been in some of the biggest British fights recently, this last one was his best and most impressive victory and yet hardly anyone knew about it. If he'd have beaten Kessler earlier in the year would he now have been contender for BBC sports personality of the year instead of Haye? Carl did actually mention wanting to be back on proper TV in an interview afterwards.

It's real shame ITV ditched boxing just when this major tournament started. I listened to this one the radio but I'll get his next fight (in the semi against Glen Johnson) on Primetime. Glen Johnson is a former light heavy weight champ who was once scheduled to fight Calzaghe before Joe pulled out with an injury.

Comment

A few big names on Box office this Saturday I think, anyone going to be watching it?

Comment

Originally posted by Shoju View Post
                              Glen Johnson is a former light heavy weight champ who was once scheduled to fight Calzaghe before Joe pulled out with an injury.
                              Makes me think Johnson must be quite good as calzaghe usually bottled the good uns in the prime.

Comment

Originally posted by merf View Post
                                Makes me think Johnson must be quite good as calzaghe usually bottled the good uns in the prime.
                                Johnson has been 1 of the major players in recent years at light heavy weight and in his 1st fight in this tournament he knocked out Allan Green. He is old but has had some of his best wins in recent years.

Don't know how much Calzaghe intentionally avoided the biggest names. Bernard Hopkins and Steve Collins both pulled out of fights with him in his younger days and until recently the super Middleweight division hasn't really been filled with great fighters or potential stars. Froch however has been involved in 5 big fights in a row home and away and deserves a lot of credit for that.

Comment

Working...
                                X