No announcement yet.

The Boxing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He beat everyone at heavyweight he challenged other than klitschko, considering he is part of a pair currently still dominating heavyweight boxing I'd say he was excellent. He didn't really duck anyone and I'm not sure there were many who would have challenged him.

As for the Thompson fight, yes haye certainly did go in too gung ho trying to knock out one of the most durable fighters at the time but I think the thing that struck me more than anything was the fact haye feared him and had no response after he felt the power of Thompson even after suffering a battering throughout the fight.

Thompson had been battered throughout those rounds so he wasn't exactly fresh himself. There was no way Thompson was using experience, he managed to hang in and then gather whatever he had left to finish a tired Haye.

Haye is a relatively small heavyweight by today's standards and I think his achievement needs to be looked at in that light. He is by no means a great but he is still someone who managed to shake the division up below the two outstanding heavyweights right now in the klitschko

I think it's safe to say he was a great in the cruiserweight division.
    Last edited by Adrock; 19-11-2013, 13:05.

Comment

My Valuev, Tyson Fury comaprison was more to do with size/lumbering than boxing ability.

Comment

Tyson Fury retires at 25 after his bout with Haye was called off?

What the hell is that all about?

Comment

Originally posted by tomato View Post
          Tyson Fury retires at 25 after his bout with Haye was called off?

What the hell is that all about?
          Where did you read that? latest I heard he may be lined up to fighter Wilder instead of Haye.

Comment

All sounds a touch rushed, he'll be back when the sponsors withdraw their money etc. Funnily enough it's not been reported on BBC etc as they must feel the same. Just made himself look like a tit more than anything. Could do with some serious spelling and grammar lessons too.

Comment

Froch v groves, who's watching this tonight ?

As I don't have a ps4/Xbox one to play with I thought this would be worth a look even though it's on box office.

I'm going for froch to win but not 100% on that.

we'll have to see how Carl starts off, if he's anything like how he started the brute fight then it's gonna be a good one.

We know froch has put groves down in sparring but tonight will be a different story.

What do you guys think ?

Comment

I think Froch's experience will see him through, but Groves can punch. The longer it goes on I fancy Groves. Should be a cracking fight either way.

Comment

Froch all night long for me.
                  First two fights have been OK so far tonight.

Comment

Yeah thinking same right now.

Groves has arrived at the arena by himself, seems to not like having people around him, unlike froch is laughing and joking about with his mates.

Up next Stephen foster v Anthony crolla for inter continental lightweight title.

Comment

Froch looking a bit shaky in first 2 rounds, surprised to see him down in first.

Froch getting stuck in now in 3rd but needs to keep his left hand up been hit too many times with a groves right hand

Comment

Hmm wasn't expecting that, bad decision ref stepping in too early in 9th to stop the fight.

Groves wasn't down on the floor like froch in the first.

Rematch on the cards maybe but would/will froch want to fight again knowing he was getting bossed by groves in the first 7 rounds ?

Comment

Originally posted by wod View Post
                          Hmm wasn't expecting that, bad decision ref stepping in too early in 9th to stop the fight.

Groves wasn't down on the floor like froch in the first.

Rematch on the cards maybe but would/will froch want to fight again knowing he was getting bossed by groves in the first 7 rounds ?
                          Sorry - Froch won't want it with Groves again.

Also, Froch gets schooled by Ward if they meet again, regardless of the location.

Comment

And this is why we can't trust boxing! Shocking decision to stop the fight

Comment

Originally posted by Adrock View Post
                              He beat everyone at heavyweight he challenged other than klitschko, considering he is part of a pair currently still dominating heavyweight boxing I'd say he was excellent. He didn't really duck anyone and I'm not sure there were many who would have challenged him.

As for the Thompson fight, yes haye certainly did go in too gung ho trying to knock out one of the most durable fighters at the time but I think the thing that struck me more than anything was the fact haye feared him and had no response after he felt the power of Thompson even after suffering a battering throughout the fight.

Thompson had been battered throughout those rounds so he wasn't exactly fresh himself. There was no way Thompson was using experience, he managed to hang in and then gather whatever he had left to finish a tired Haye.

Haye is a relatively small heavyweight by today's standards and I think his achievement needs to be looked at in that light. He is by no means a great but he is still someone who managed to shake the division up below the two outstanding heavyweights right now in the klitschko
                              Who did Haye beat at Heavyweight?

Monte Barrett? A well-faded John Ruiz? Valuev? Do me a favour. He didn't beat everyone in that division - not even close.

Never a top-class fighter at Heavyweight. Simple as that. Capable at best. He was exposed by the lesser Klitschko, ffs.

And yes, Carl Thompson was using his vast experience against Haye to cover up and soak up what Haye threw at him. Not many of Haye's punches were getting through, iirc. From that perspective, Haye definitely tired and left himself vulnerable later in the fight.
                              Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 23-11-2013, 22:54.

Comment

Working...
                              X