No announcement yet.

Toys for boys - or "Show us your Collectables"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am to say a painting would/does look better.

A painting makes the place look nicer (obviously depending on how the paint was applied), a figure looks childish to me. I can't wait to move out and buy my own place (student accomodation at the moment). A figurine of a film which has then been 'cartoonised' just looks terrible to me.

Comment

i think if i walked into a guys "pad" n saw loadsa figures like on shelves n lit up it wud be a huge turn off....id b out of there like a shot.

Comment

I'd rather live somewhere that I didn't feel embarrassed to live in when having guests around, especially if on business.
        Now this is just me (so might not be how someone else thinks) but I am secure enough in my own tastes that I am not going to feel embarrassed if someone comes into my place and dislikes anything that I have on show. For example (disregarding the figurines that you dislike so much), in the hallway as you come through my front door there is going to a 4ft by 3ft canvas print of a trainer, in my study there is going to be a canvas print of zelda ... at the end of the day, you surround yourself with objects you like and find pleasing to the eye - its you that lives with them day after day, and if some people don't like them then thats their problem and not yours.

Comment

tis up to u wot u do.....we just givin our opinions

Comment

A painting makes the place look nicer (obviously depending on how the paint was applied), a figure looks childish to me. I can't wait to move out and buy my own place (student accomodation at the moment). A figurine of a film which has then been 'cartoonised' just looks terrible to me.
            A figurine based on the artwork of Genndy Tartakovsky, one of the best cartoon artists in the world today (his other work includes Samurai Jack) ... once again it boils down to subjectivity, a fan of Tartakovsky's artwork will take pleasure in the figurine as much as a fan of whichever artist who's painting you have on your wall will take pleasure in that. You think the modelling of the figurine looks terrible, I think that you could not be further from the truth if you tried ... but thats just opinion isn't it

Comment

Im with john on this one,

You surround yourself with things that You like, if your decorating your place for the benifit of other people who might come round then quite frankly i feel sorry for you. You should be doing it for yourself, not for others who might visit.

Taste is very subjective & everyone is unique, just leave it at that (^_^)

Comment

i think if i walked into a guys "pad" n saw loadsa figures like on shelves n lit up it wud be a huge turn off....id b out of there like a shot.
                to get to the room and notice the figures 'someone' would need to walk past the shelving full of games, past the bmx and the chopper in the hallway, ignore the vast quantity of erm human interest dvds and disregard the consoles on the entertainment unit ... if they can get past all that and then be put off by a couple of figures then I guess it was never meant to be

Comment

Can we end this thread with a promise to never get a display cabinet with glass doors,filled with Monkey Balls?

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                    Im with john on this one,

You surround yourself with things that You like, if your decorating your place for the benifit of other people who might come round then quite frankly i feel sorry for you. You should be doing it for yourself, not for others who might visit.

Taste is very subjective & everyone is unique, just leave it at that (^_^)
                    Hahaha, taking sides? Bizarre. For me, putting cartoon figurines around a place I use for both pleasure and work would look stupid to me.

You'd feel sorry? Well I'd feel sorry for you feeling sorry for me wanting to have a professional looking place.

Comment

Anyone else getting a headache from trying to read Minx68's posts or is it just me?

Comment

Originally posted by John Beaulieu View Post
                        Now this is just me (so might not be how someone else thinks) but I am secure enough in my own tastes that I am not going to feel embarrassed if someone comes into my place and dislikes anything that I have on show. For example (disregarding the figurines that you dislike so much), in the hallway as you come through my front door there is going to a 4ft by 3ft canvas print of a trainer, in my study there is going to be a canvas print of zelda ... at the end of the day, you surround yourself with objects you like and find pleasing to the eye - its you that lives with them day after day, and if some people don't like them then thats their problem and not yours.
                        So you're saying I'm not secure in my tastes? I just prefer not to have cartoon figurines on display as they look silly, which is my personal taste.

A print of a trainer? Christ.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouenben View Post
                          Anyone else getting a headache from trying to read Minx68's posts or is it just me?
                          Just you. Your sales threads on DVDForums were terrible to read until you got banned from there.

Comment

Originally posted by IanE View Post
                            Hahaha, taking sides? Bizarre. For me, putting cartoon figurines around a place I use for both pleasure and work would look stupid to me.

You'd feel sorry? Well I'd feel sorry for you feeling sorry for me wanting to have a professional looking place.

It's not about being professional looking though it's about if your comfortable in there or not.
                            If your not comfortable with some figurines in your room where guests can see it, then I guess you must care too much what other people think of you.
                            My neighbours (has a wife and a kid) house is just filled with junk, magazines, carpets, rubbish bags, it's a total **** pit and obvously it leaves an impression that they are very disorganized and it feels very cramped but it doesnt stop me going in there and he's obviosuly comfortable with it and doesnt care what guests think. It's his lifestyle and he enjoys it.

To be honest I think figurines give a home more... personality, not all bland and just cabinets with lamps on and ****e pictures on the wall called 'Art'. It feels like they have what they want around them and you can see what sort of things they are into. Most people I know with art on walls arent into it at all they just put them there for the sake of it.

Obviously if your work comes into your home often then I guess you would want it a bit more professional looking but other than maybe inviting your boss round for Tea (Does anyone do this outside the simpsons?) most of us travel to work and travel back home, both of them being seperate in many ways. So looking professional for work purposes doesn't really apply to most of us.

IMO Models give a home far more personality than art ever could.

Comment

So Ian, would you not furnish your place with things that might interest you in case it looks unprofessional? Do you want to live in a home or an office?

I can imagine your dismay if a client/business associate thinks your choice of curtains is 'unprofessional', or if your sofa doesn't leave the 'professional' impression.

For me, living in a place that I couldn't surround myself with objects that I enjoy, regardless of how others may view them would be stupid, in fact not just stupid but it would fill me with sadness that every day I couldn't just sit back and relax in my home.

Comment

Originally posted by IanE View Post
                                Just you. Your sales threads on DVDForums were terrible to read until you got banned from there.
                                Well they weren't that bad I did know how to spell, had considerably grammer too. Her posts are just a mess

Mind you, it says she is from Portugal so perhaps English isn't her mother language.

Anyway going OT
                                Last edited by Ouenben; 04-02-2007, 00:03.

Comment

Working...
                                X