No announcement yet.

Toys for boys - or "Show us your Collectables"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minx knows how to spell and her grammer is just fine, when she can be arsed - as the old saying goes "Let him without sin cast the first stone" Mr 'had considerably grammer too'.....

Comment

Originally posted by Ouenben View Post
      It's not about being professional looking though it's about if your comfortable in there or not.
      If your not comfortable with some figurines in your room where guests can see it, then I guess you must care too much what other people think of you.
      Obviously if your work comes into your home often then I guess you would want it a bit more professional looking but other than maybe inviting your boss round for Tea (Does anyone do this outside the simpsons?) most of us travel to work and travel back home, both of them being seperate in many ways. So looking professional for work purposes doesn't really apply to most of us.

IMO Models give a home far more personality than art ever could.
      What has comfortability got to do with figurines? I'm perfectly comfortable being in a place with figurines, I just don't like them and think they look stupid. I can't say I care at all what people think of me, more that I like to have a tidy and clean area in which to work and live. Just how I am. Like I said, I have some plushes in my room and a few posters on the wall, but it's all because I can't make any changes here (shelves and walls) and have had the plushes for quite a while now. My room is also pretty confined.

Originally posted by John Beaulieu View Post
      So Ian, would you not furnish your place with things that might interest you in case it looks unprofessional? Do you want to live in a home or an office?

I can imagine your dismay if a client/business associate thinks your choice of curtains is 'unprofessional', or if your sofa doesn't leave the 'professional' impression.

For me, living in a place that I couldn't surround myself with objects that I enjoy, regardless of how others may view them would be stupid, in fact not just stupid but it would fill me with sadness that every day I couldn't just sit back and relax in my home.
      Of course I'd furnish my place with things I like (and I do), but figurines and other such items look silly to me, just personal preference and all that.

My 'work' business never gets too serious, I just like to be tidy and have somewhere that looks nice, I don't think the stuff you like looks nice, so I wouldn't have them in my place.

Where did I say I couldn't relax or have stuff I like there? I'd prefer to have something personal on the walls (a particular photo put onto canvas or something, terrible example but trying to illustrate my point).

Comment

You see you talk about "art" as in paintings and so on, but surely if you ask the person that designed those figures weather they are art or not they would say they are, just as i would say they are. I find the way you pass them off as childish toys rather insulting.

Comment

I still think they look ****e, for the most part. It's not even as if most such figurines are particularly fine examples of the sculptor's art, because they aren't. However, I wouldn't expect people who like them to listen to me -- just as I'd greet anyone attempting to tell me how to decorate my gaff with derisive laughter. Incidentally, I have to agree with Ouenben: despite my own feelings on the issue, I almost sided with JB just because his 'opponent' is deploying such God-awful txt-speak! :P
          Last edited by Eps; 04-02-2007, 06:02.

Comment

I think that the house you live in, must be a place where you feel comfortable and happy, if you like it clean and professional, no prob, and if you like it stuffed with movie, game or cartoon related stuffed, also no prob.
            As long as you feel happy in it shouldn't matter what someone else thinkes of it.

I lived in my house for 3 years alone, I made it my place with game and F1 related stuff. And when my girl moved in, we had to compromise, she hated the stuff I had (ofcourse....) but we've found a middle way where we're both happy with. I still have my Zelda statue standing next to my 360 and Wii in the living room, and I still have my collection of williams and Senna F1 cars in the hallway.... It won't be everybodies taste but I don't give a ****, it's my place and if someone doesn't like it, it's their problem.

Comment

something else I am looking at (if I can source one)

Stuff like this has so much personal meaning to me, that to have it on display in my place can only bring me joy - whereas I may have a painting by some artist that could be deemed more 'mature' (or however you want to put it) and it wouldn't make me feel half as good.

Another example, I have some Ico pictures that I am thinking about having put on canvas, now this is gaming related material and yet for me the pictures are some of the best that I have ever seen, and mean a lot to me ... who cares if someone who came into my place didn't like them, there is no way on earth i would feel embarrased about it.
              Last edited by John Beaulieu; 04-02-2007, 08:59.

Comment

My flat contains a couple of toys tucked away, but the main point that causes people to call it a guy's flat is that I have my DVD collection displayed along the mantlepiece. In fact, see attached. The juggling balls, folded bike and Akubra hat probably don't help.

For my remaining blank walls I'd be after some nice art (the one in the photo is warm but uninteresting). Any early Kandinsky canvas would be sweet:

Last edited by Nijo; 06-04-2007, 10:16.

Comment

I've been getting rid of all my CDs and DVDs on to the PC so that there is now wall space to put paintings on. I've decided instead to get canvas prints of photos I've taken. I'm not saying they are good photos, but they mean stuff to me. So someone might come round and wonder why I've put such an average photo on the wall, but I'm the one that has to look at it all day, so who cares? If plastic toys mean stuff to someone, then that's what's important. Life's too short to be worried about what other people think. You'll get to the end and wonder what happened. Unless they live there too, so I have to clear permanent house features with Lucy first, so there's normally some compromise there.

Last edited by charlesr; 04-02-2007, 10:29.

Comment

Yeah if I took decent photos I'd do the same.

Comment

I'm pretty sure Minx would hate my flat then

I have bits everywhere & it;s still not even a quarter of my collection.

I'm obssessed with toys/statues etc.

Nick Pavey will tell you what it's like, he's seen a bit of it when he did the Gamers photo thingie

I will get pics up later when I get back to the parents because for seem reason photobucket is hanging up my laptop everytime I try to go in

Anyway my main collections are...

Transformers G1/Beast Wars/R.I.D
                      Horror Figures Neca mainly
                      Spawn Figures
                      Transformers Busts
                      Bad Taste Bears Monsters
                      Living Dead Dolls (dont ask just google them )
                      Dragonball Z Figures/busts

Think that about covers it.

I do have some random figures that I boight just because they look cool like Patriot from Rising Stars or the Spiderman Classics figures.

Most of my collection is currently in my parents loft because I dont have any spare room at the flat, but I'd love to get a proper display going.

Basically I like collecting figures & I'm single, dont have to answer to anyone so the colection can & will be displayed & TBH most of the girls I have taken back to my flat are pretty interested or intrigued by most of my collection & take a real interest in what movie/cartoon/game they were from etc.

It's each to their own at the end of the day I love this stuff & it wont change for no one.

Neil

Comment

Some of these aren't really 'toys' though, are they? I mean sure they all look nice and stuff (don't like the Starwars things but the SoC one is good) but if you can't play with 'em, what's the point?!

Comment

Why do we love out toys? For the same reason that they love theirs, namely endless piles of identical shoes and bags

Comment

One thing thats weird though, if people dont like toys why are they posting on here???

Videogames are toys too (^_^)

Comment

Not to sure about the 'toys' John, but if you like em etc, classic movie posters are teh shizzle though i have this waiting to go up when i can afford to get it framed (its f'ing massive and costs an arm and leg to frame) http://imagesource.allposters.com:80...le-Posters.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Ajay1986 View Post
                                You see you talk about "art" as in paintings and so on, but surely if you ask the person that designed those figures weather they are art or not they would say they are, just as i would say they are. I find the way you pass them off as childish toys rather insulting.
                                Insulting to what? I'm not debating what is or what isn't art, I'm saying that figurines to me are pretty childish and look silly. Are we not entitled to opinions now? That's all this is, an opinion on what looks good in the home.

Comment

Working...
                                X