No announcement yet.

Camra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really enjoyed the Black Wolf Rok I posted about a few pages back, and bought a few more for this weekend. Thought I'd also try something else from the brewery so also bought a few bottles of their Lomond Gold blonde beer to start the night off.

Comment

Seems like where you live is rich pickings for newbies! Haven't had that either.

Comment

It was ok Prin, reminded me of a music festival I went to in Colorado and wheat beer was the best option. Not a patch on the IPA though, which I really like and I'm back on now. Do you want some bottles sending down to try?

Comment

I wouldn't say no to that! And very much appreciated.

I'm not a huge fan on golden/blonde ales per se - they're a bit too light and breezy for me. IPAs have a bitterness bite and dark beers are heavy-bodied. That's where it's at.

Comment

I'll pick you up some random Scottish stuff including the Rok and send it down Tuesday, send me over an address.

Comment

Anchor Brewing Co California Lager 4.9%, 8
              Sierra Nevada Brewing Co Torpedo Extra IPA 7.2%, 9

Comment

Marks and Spencer Sambrook's Brewery Battersea Rye 5.6% 8.5

Comment

I was at kidderminster Beer fest this weekend just gone,I try to do local and recently more distant ones but regular ones for me are Wolverhampton,Stourbridge,Stratford,Tamworth,Dudle y,Birmingham,Lichfield,etc.
                  I always stand there in a retro t-shirt like Pitfall! or my Golden Axe Megadrive T-shirt lol,

Comment

Any beers particularly stand out? Did they serve them on gravity or through handpulls? The Durham and Noocarsel ones are now handpull, but the Naaridge one remains resolutely gravity-based.

Comment

Right, I've tried the Black Wolf Brewery Rok IPA (4.0%) that Colin sent me.

It's very quaffable. A session beer, I'd say, although there's a smart zing in the taste that sets it well above average. It's quite weak in volume for an IPA, but the initial taste was very hoppy; far hoppier than I imagined. By a third of the way down it had settled into a pleasant golden IPA with a little extra kick. Very good.

It did taste similar to several other beers I've had, but I can't pinpoint precisely what. I'll have to have a think I'm it.

In the meantime I'll suggest Harviestoun Schiehallion, Black Sheep Golden Sheep and Timothy Taylor's Landlord. Give some darker stuff a punt too, Badger Tanglefoot, Wychwood Hobgoblin, Theakston Old Peculiar and Jennings Snecklifter. Maybe even Guiness West Indies Porter. They'll put hairs on your bollocks.

For Scottish Brews, track down Belhaven, Cairngorm (You'll like Trade Winds) and any island brewery (Arran, Orkney, for example).

Comment

Had a bellyful of Badger Golden Champion last night... lovely stuff. Goes very well with a big pile of chilli rice crackers.
                        My guts this morning however are not lovely Big reason I changed to cider... doesn't have the same effect on me the next day.

Comment

You can definitely do Rok on the session, I drank 14 bottles of it last week at the barbecue before hitting the whisky.

Comment

Midge Hardcore.

See if you can track down those bottles and get quaffing!

Comment

When I picked up a bunch of beers for Prin he'd already had this one so I kept hold. Had it as my first beer tonight. Man it's dark, you could hide from the sun inside this stuff. Lovely pint though, liking the lovely aftertaste you get a little while after having a drink.

Comment

I'm off the beer to save for my wedding. Once I get my credit card down to a reasonable amount we'll see what there is. I'd love to get another 6 Dunkelweisen for the summer months but can't right now, and I think its run has already ended.

Comment

Working...
                                X