No announcement yet.

Camra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colin - I'm impressed that you like Dark Island. I'll recommend Black Sheep Riggwelter alongside the other darker beers I did earlier. I often find that darker beers tend to give that little bit extra body, kick and aftertaste.

Kryss - What a sap. 'Off the beer'. What kind of mincer talk is that?

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
      Colin - I'm impressed that you like Dark Island. I'll recommend Black Sheep Riggwelter alongside the other darker beers I did earlier. I often find that darker beers tend to give that little bit extra body, kick and aftertaste.

Kryss - What a sap. 'Off the beer'. What kind of mincer talk is that?
      Sounds like his mrs is trying to get a few pounds of his waistline ;-)

Comment

Henpecked mincer talk, then.

A few months under the thumb of married life and he'll only be allowed slimline G&Ts.

Comment

In fairness, I managed about 2 weeks. Let's go over the beers I've tried since, from worst to best. All from Big Rock Brewery btw.

Rhine Stone Cowboy

Really not worth my effort, just a light-ish beer that was particularly unimpressive.

Hefehopper

Brewed here in Calgary, and you can taste the white trash origins.

Abandoned Abbey

9.2% yet still easy to drink, but a little bland despite how strong it is.

Scottish Heavy Ale

This is it. Full flavoured 7% and every mouthful melts the world away.

Comment

Ealing Beer Festival one week away and I've managed to double-book myself on the Thursday; a complete disaster. Still, hoping to wrangle the Friday off in which case it's going to be a long one leading in to the weekend...

Comment

Good work chaps. Pleased to see you're not as much of a mincer as first feared, kryss.

I was stuck on a course at Beamish last week. After it had finished I wandered along on my lonesome to the pub in the town area and had a cracking pint of Stables Brewery Bell Tower. 5%, and lovely and dark. Such a tonic to these light summer beers. Bravo to Beamish for putting the most local beer possible on - brewed less than a mile away.

9/10

Comment

Fortnightly update!

Trois Pistoles from Unibroue, Quebec

Whopping 750ml bottle at 9% and deserving of the 100 score it received from RateBeer. Bottled perfection.

The following are all from Big Rock Brewery.

Birch Bark

Canadian Imperial Stout - good strength and flavour, well worth a drink.

Last Best: Collaboration Brew #1

Mysterious white label, and a satifying brew if a tad weak for my tastes these days.

Warthog

Yeah, no. Just really unremarkable.

Comment

Man, I can't tell you how much I want to try that first bottle, kryss.

Chinook Mosaic El Dorado, Shotgun Wedding American Pale Ale, 5.1%, 8.5
                  Sonnet 43, Its Gusto, Its Guts American IPA (#27), 6.6% 8.5
                  Provenance Brewing from Hydes, Nelson Pale Ale, 4.5% 8.5
                  Odell Brewing Co, St Lupulin, 6.5% 8.5
                  Stone Brewing Co, Go To IPA, 4.5% 8.5
                  Saugatuck Brewing Company, Michigan Wheat Ale, 4.7% 9
                  Rogue, Beard Beer, 4.8% 8.5
                  Rogue, Captain Sig's Northwestern Ale, 8.5
                  Brasserie Saint Germain, Rhub'I.P.A. 6.9% 9
                  Stone Brewing Co, Sublimely Self-Righteous Black IPA, 8.7% 9
                  Saugatuck Brewing Co, Neapolitan Milk Stout, 6.0% 9.5

Comment

Realised I never shared this list after the Ealing beer festival -

Canterbury ales - The millers ale - 4.2%
                    Nelson - Purser's pussy porter - 4.8%
                    Toolmakers - Flange noir - 4.8%
                    Gyle59 - Dorset GIPA - 5.4%
                    Aylesbury brewhouse - Rorsach - 4.4%
                    West Berkshire - Maggs magnificent mild - 3.8%

First was definitely the highlight out of my run, but seeing a porter named after my own pussy was a nice treat too.

Comment

Flange? Pussy?

Superb. Shame you didn't have a half of Dr. Oilymarbles's Old Snatch to round it off.

Haven't had any of those, fuse. Good effort.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                        Man, I can't tell you how much I want to try that first bottle, kryss.
                        No word of a lie, it was immense. I'm trying to try two new beers per week, but I'm sorely tempted to get a bottle of Trois Pistoles for my post-lunch beer today. We'll see how I hold up in the off license later.

Comment

Get that AND two newbies. Easy.

Comment

$9 a bottle son!
                            Unibroue, brasserie québécoise basée à Chambly dont les produits renommés mondialement délectent les amateurs de bière depuis 1992.

Going for a Unibroue 17 Grande Reserve if they have one - 10% dark ale, winner of Dark Ale of the year 2010.

And holy crap, the company is owned by Sapporo!

Comment

That's peanuts for quality, fella. It's premium product, not cat's piss tat. I've paid 20 quid for an imported top quality beer before.

Comment

True. Now I'm off to get a new glass or two and then crack open a bottle.

Comment

Working...
                                X