Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opening a closed chimney, things living inside! Now with added Bee Swarm..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You wont smell it till its disturbed & then all hell will break lose, things pinging off, running about... Mice are highly likely very agile & lovin honey!

Comment

Originally posted by Katsujinken View Post
      You wont smell it till its disturbed & then all hell will break lose, things pinging off, running about... Mice are highly likely very agile & lovin honey!
      Really, I'd have thought if something had died it would smell regardless of whether it was disturbed or not?

Maybe I'm best just leaving it all alone then and just putting in a new vent further up the chimney breast and then blocking up the old one.

Comment

Nah mate unless you move some stuff any moisture would skin over like, sealing smells.

Make sure you have a mask on btw, will stop stuff running in your mouth / up your nose like!

But be careful if you need to VOM they fill up fast like

Comment

Don't have a mask to use. I'm really not looking forward to doing it at all.

Comment

Why are you asking people on a gaming board about stuff like this?

Comment

Just get a dust mask from a diy shop, less likely to drown in one of them as it would drain through the fabric! Oh and no carrots until afterwards, ok

Put a load of plastic sheets down too! You dont want spend any more time cleaning any of the whatevar comes outta there!

Comment

Originally posted by danholo View Post
                Why are you asking people on a gaming board about stuff like this?
                It's in the off topic forum so I don't see a problem. Besides loads of people on here know stuff that others don't and help out.

Comment

Nah, I was just wondering considering the situation with the bees and them being protected. I'd call the authorities about it.

Comment

Originally posted by danholo View Post
                    Nah, I was just wondering considering the situation with the bees and them being protected. I'd call the authorities about it.
                    I've called the council mate and they just said leave the bees alone as they are protected unless they are dangerous then I would have to pay a bee keeper to get them. However it's not that simple because the bees on in the chimney stack no bee keepers will actually collect them. Health and safety etc as the bee keeper does not want to climb on the roof of the house.

So my options are to pay for scaffolding to be erected at the side of the house and up to the chimney pot. Then pay for someone to come along and poison the bees ( not likely with them being protected ). Then pay for someone to sweep then chimney and clean the resultant mess which comes out / down ( honey etc ). Then pay for someone to close the chimney pot with a cap.

Far cheaper to leave the bees alone as they do not appear to cause any trouble.

Comment

I'd light a fire.

Comment

Originally posted by spagmasterswift View Post
                        I'd light a fire.
                        Fires don't work unless they are lit in the first week or so of the bees moving in. Apparently once they are settled you can light a full fire in the fireplace and the smoke / heat does not bother them.

Or at least that's what I've been told.
                        Last edited by Unwell Cat; 01-01-2008, 21:10.

Comment

The honey would melt.

Comment

Wow, looks like you're stuck with them then.

Comment

Originally posted by tiz View Post
                              The honey would melt.
                              Maybe although the bees constantly fan the honey to keep it from melting in the summer etc. Plus if the honey melts it's only going to go one place, downwards. Depending on the size of the nest there can be up to 20lbs etc of honey in there and that's a lot of mess leaking all over my floor.

Comment

It could be worse, you could have Honey Badgers.

Then as well as a mask and giant sieve, you'd have to get a reinforced cup to guard your tackle from being eaten.

Comment

Working...
                                X