iPhone thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
    I can appreciate that, but this is Apple, and this is the 3G iPhone, arguably the most eagerly-awaited consumer gadget of the year. They wouldn't just hand it out to anybody without burying them in confidentiality agreements and the like, surely?
    There will be a development team in the UK. Working closely with O2 to test network compatibility, it wouldn't be random Joes testing the phone.

Comment

Originally posted by smokedog View Post
      There will be a development team in the UK. Working closely with O2 to test network compatibility, it wouldn't be random Joes testing the phone.
      Again, I accept that - of course random Joes wouldn't be testing the phone, but I don't believe that a full-scale, large number major dev team (increasing the potential for information leaks to the global media) would be assigned to this. Again, this is Apple and they are NOTORIOUS for the way that they keep their major projects under wraps, so perhaps it's more likely that a smaller, select group of testers would be charged with carrying out these duties, no?

Originally posted by [nothing] View Post
      I know someone who has spent quite a bit of time with the 3G iphone recently.

Slow, buggy as hell, prone to locking up and crashing. He says it needs lots of work.
      That I find hard to believe, tbh - all the evidence points to the OS and GUI on the 3G iPhone being the same as what you get on the current model. 3G connectivity really is the only thing that needs to be added, and the major problem with that the first time around (According to Steve Jobs) was battery life.

Comment

If thats the only thing they are adding to iPhone 2 then it's kind of a cop out, as the price will jump straight back up to the price it was a year ago, to pay for something we should have had originally anyway!

Comment

They need to end this exclusivity contract with O2 before I'd ever consider getting it. O2 is the most awful network I've ever used. Also, we're so used to getting phones for free, no way am I paying that much for a phone on an 18 month contract

Comment

Originally posted by Rossco View Post
            If thats the only thing they are adding to iPhone 2 then it's kind of a cop out, as the price will jump straight back up to the price it was a year ago, to pay for something we should have had originally anyway!
            Not necessarily - bear in mind that the 3G iPhone is unlikely to come in an 8Gb size (hence the current 1st-gen, 8Gb iPhone £169 offer), so it probably would have been priced at a higher end anyway.

Originally posted by exZAKtly View Post
            They need to end this exclusivity contract with O2 before I'd ever consider getting it. O2 is the most awful network I've ever used. Also, we're so used to getting phones for free, no way am I paying that much for a phone on an 18 month contract
            Technically, a 3G iPhone should mean an end to this, but it probably won't - Apple have their revenue streams to think about. In any case, if the process of buying a 3G iPhone remains the same (handset first, tariff later etc.), then most will just buy a 3G iPhone and network-unlock and/or jailbreak it anyway.
            Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 27-04-2008, 12:50.

Comment

In the Q&A for the quarter results recently Apple was asked the question about iPhone unlocks and answered in a way that could suggest they are looking at a different strategy whenever they launch the next revision of the iPhone:
              Q: iPhone availability tightening. Can you grow this going forward? Any shortages?
              A: We will hit 10 million for the year. We expected more of a quarter-over-quarter decline than we got, leading to some shortages. "Significant" number of unlocked phones contributing to demand.

Q: Comments on number of unlocked iPhones? Why the reticence in quantifying that?
              A: We aren't really comfortable with putting out a number on that due to uncertainty. We have gone out of our way to classify it as "significant" though.

Comment

Ohhhh my mate knows someone who works for O2 and can get iPhones for £99. He's got one already and unlocked it. How awesome is that. I'm going for it, birthday in a few weeks so that can be my present from mother or father!

Comment

Originally posted by Rossco View Post
                  Ohhhh my mate knows someone who works for O2 and can get iPhones for ?99. He's got one already and unlocked it. How awesome is that. I'm going for it, birthday in a few weeks so that can be my present from mother or father!
                  Go for it. Been using mine all week now and loving it. Just gotta get the EDGE details off orange to sort that out now (orange do support EDGE for anyone that wanted to know). I used the ziphone and as said it takes mere minutes.

Comment

Is it actual EDGE or just the normal GPRS?

I.e. do you get the word EDGE appear on the screen?

Comment

Nice work on letting me know that Orange use Edge! Phoned them today about data charges, all I could get was 30Mb a month for £8 so that will have to do for now until the y release a better package! Are you with Orange, if so what are you doing regarding data charges?

I actually spent the whole night mucking about with my mates iPhone as he came over, and I LOVE IT! Everything about it is just so awesome and streamlined and intuitive!

I like how you can put your Gmail account in as the default email and even works like texts so when you get a new one it vibrates and tells you on the main menu, if everyone had an iPhone then you wouldn't need text, just email! And y ou can view and save attatchments etc so easily, open up word documents, view pictures or pdf's. It's great. The internet also works so well and there are some great wee apps out there to download such as Drummer or Pocket Guitar, great fun! A nice wee pool game out there too called Pool 2.0 I think it was.

Overall, very impressed, I think I am deffo gonna get one now, even if I have to pay £169, if my mate can't get me it for £99.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                        Is it actual EDGE or just the normal GPRS?

I.e. do you get the word EDGE appear on the screen?
                        When i spoke to them the other day orange said it is EDGE. I can only assume that EDGE appears on the screen.

RE. rosco, i haven't set it up yet, i phoned them the other day to get the details but the department i spoke to didn't deal with WAP or EDGE (didn't have time to faf about with it that day so have left it for now)

So how much data usage is 30meg? I'm not used to working like that as i've always used unlimited usage suppliers.

Comment

There's a small status square beside the carrier name. It'll either be E for Edge, a solid blue square for GPRS or the Wi-Fi signal thing if you're on a LAN.

Comment

30Mb is not alot at all but might be fine for just viewing webpages when your out and about, means I would only download apps or go on youtube when I was in a WiFi area. It's the best I can do and unless I am able to seriously reduce the rest of my bill, I won't be able to change. But the iPhone itself impresses me so much anyway, so it's just a shame I won't be able to go wild with the internet.

If I can access my Gmail, Bebo sometimes and NTSC-uk while on the go when I feel like it and not go over my monthly allowance, I'll be happy.

Yeah, I should have put my SIM in my mates iPhone to see how it worked with that, as he wasn't getting a vodafone signal and I would have liked to just check how fast it was using GPRS/Edge for browsing on it.

Also, do I need to activate Edge with orange or is it all done automatically?

Comment

After reading all the posts on here I am seriously considering getting an iphone for the £169 price tag. I think I would probably get one from the carphone warehouse, where I think they do make you sign that paper saying you have to register it in 7 days or something, has anyone else bought one from CPW? I've heard someone say that if you don't register it with o2 in 7 days, they charge your credit card for the amount of the phone (few hundred or something) but this can't be right can it?? I'm guessing not since no one has reported this.

I would love to get one and use it with my t-mobile sim!

Comment

Originally posted by shuzo View Post
                                After reading all the posts on here I am seriously considering getting an iphone for the ?169 price tag. I think I would probably get one from the carphone warehouse, where I think they do make you sign that paper saying you have to register it in 7 days or something, has anyone else bought one from CPW? I've heard someone say that if you don't register it with o2 in 7 days, they charge your credit card for the amount of the phone (few hundred or something) but this can't be right can it?? I'm guessing not since no one has reported this.

I would love to get one and use it with my t-mobile sim!
                                its all scaremongery mate, i've read loads on various forums, one even stating that if you dont register/activate your phone within 7 days it becomes a ipod touch

just get yourself down to the o2 shop and pick one up then unlock it yourself, thats what i did and i'm on T-mobile

Comment

Working...
                                X