Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Little things that irk you.. (no swearing please)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Extra Terrestrial View Post
    When you are walking down the street - in my case, a busy high street - why is it that when you look ahead, in the direction of a hundred other people, does a guy IMMEDIATELY grabs hold of (who I assume is) his girlfriend or wife's hand?

Do you really think I am going to feel her up and have sex with her in the middle of the street judging by their expressions upon eventually finding and grasping their girlfriends/wife?s hand?

Jesus.
    This happens all the time with female customers at work. Serve them, be pleasant to them and the next thing you know there's a glowering boyfriend with his arm around her or his hand on her neck responding to you as if you had been talking to them as well. Then the girlfriend leaves first and the boyfriend gives you a glare as they leave the shop. It'd be funny if it didn't happen all the time.

Comment

OK, here's a thing.

I've never really mentioned this before cos it's ... well, it's kind of weird. And it's not really an irk. Just really odd, and a tad unsettling. I'm maybe irked by its oddness. I've only really mentioned it to one person before, and thankfully, they knew exactly what I was on about. But that doesn't stop it from seeming a bit weird.

I'll refer to it as 'getting buzzed up'. It doesn't really happen much now, but in my teens it was a regular thing. What happens is, in certain situations and at certain times, my head takes on a life of its own. I get a really spaced out feeling, almost paralysed, with every nerve ending on my head seeming to 'buzz'. It's almost how I'd imagine hypnosis to feel like. I feel totally vulnerable during it, yet massively relaxed. It takes a real effort to snap out of.

It usually happens when I'm in a very comfortable, stress-free situation, and it nearly always involves someone else. Usually it's someone who isn't a threat, totally innocent, and they're really engrossed in something. I used to get 'buzzed up' when my grandad was reading something out from the paper - really slow and carefully - and I'd get this total monging happening to me.

See, just reading that makes it sound all creepo crazy. Irk.

Comment

a gaming irk....the whole thing when it comes to demos...like having to preorder game and getting a demo for it and various other ways you just cannot simply click on something and download it

thought the whole point of demos were to get people who were on the fence on deciding to get the game a chance to play it

Comment

The British reaction to celebrities/politicians/sportsman's extra marital activities. Did I miss something or is the John Terry scandal the biggest piece of non-news ever to grace headlines? Footballer shags model - big deal. Tiger Woods plays away from home - who cares?

A lot of it just sounds like titilation - people are interested in famous people getting their end away because they aren't getting it at home.

I wish we were much more like the French in this regard. Their head of state dumps his wife then hooks up with stunning model only a few weeks later and everyone says 'fair play'.

Comment

^It's particularly irking, especially when the *devastating* Haiti disaster seems to have been sinisterly shunted into the news sidelines...

The Thai tsunami was a MASSIVE TRAGEDY! but the Haiti one seems to have less "sympathy appeal" in the eyes of the press. Is it 'cos they is black?

Anyway, my irk of the day is this:

I work in a hospital. A single company owns the three paper shops (called 'Amigo') and the hospital canteen (called 'Deli March?', I think).

Last week, the criminals had a 'sale' on Lucozade for ?1 a bottle (when I could get 3 for ?1 from Jack Fultons, and 2 for ?1 from Poundland). The 'sale' ended yesterday, and the average punter (and staff member!!!) will pay ?1.26 for a bottle! Thank f*ck for Blood Test, if I take their specimens away and ask politely, they'll happily chuck me a couple of cold bottles for free!

They've started selling 'paninis' for ?3.50 a pop. They're so small and sparsely-filled, they have to slice them in two to create a crap illusion of quantity.

But, yeh, their restaurant serves overpriced crap food, they have a captive audience, I'm sick of the robbing bastards having a monopoly on the hospital!!!

Gah, years back they used to have a Burger King upstairs, before all this Jamie Oliver/'healthy eating' ****e ruined everything. What's ironic is, the most commonly purchased item at said restaurant is chips!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
              I'll refer to it as 'getting buzzed up'.

It usually happens when I'm in a very comfortable, stress-free situation, and it nearly always involves someone else. Usually it's someone who isn't a threat, totally innocent, and they're really engrossed in something. I used to get 'buzzed up' when my grandad was reading something out from the paper - really slow and carefully - and I'd get this total monging happening to me.
              You wrote word for word as if I was writing the same experience(s) I had quite often as a child however, I (unfortunately) grew out of this 'buzz' - as you refer to it - when I was a teenager.

The times this would happen is when a teacher or a classroom assistant would check my work whilst sitting right beside me and going though my work (correcting spellings, grammar, punctuation and so forth); gradually but surely, this spaced out feeling would appear.

We used to have a reading session at the end of the (school) day on Friday - to mark the beginning of our weekend - and when I sat on the bean-bag whilst listening to the teachers soft words, this feeling would come back to me in a sleepy spaced-out manner.

I loved having those feelings and I genuinely miss it.

Comment

I know that buzz. It would vary, but sometimes it would feel like everything was reaaaalllly far away, but I could see it in even more detail than usual. Intoxicating

Comment

Not being able to sleep! All week I have crawled out of bed at 6.30am to get ready for work, then on Saturday, the day I can sleep in for as long as I want I wake up 6.30 and can't sleep.
                  Life mocks me sometimes.

Comment

I'm with you on that. I wake up at 6 every day (when the kids wake up). Sometimes I get back to sleep. So I stay at a hotel in Manchester on Wednesday night and set my alarm for 8am. I wake up at 6..... genius.

Comment

You wrote word for word as if I was writing the same experience(s) I had quite often as a child however, I (unfortunately) grew out of this 'buzz' - as you refer to it - when I was a teenager.

The times this would happen is when a teacher or a classroom assistant would check my work whilst sitting right beside me and going though my work (correcting spellings, grammar, punctuation and so forth); gradually but surely, this spaced out feeling would appear.

We used to have a reading session at the end of the (school) day on Friday - to mark the beginning of our weekend - and when I sat on the bean-bag whilst listening to the teachers soft words, this feeling would come back to me in a sleepy spaced-out manner.

I loved having those feelings and I genuinely miss it.

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                      I know that buzz. It would vary, but sometimes it would feel like everything was reaaaalllly far away, but I could see it in even more detail than usual. Intoxicating
                      *wipes sweat from brow and takes deep breath*

I think it must be some form of mild hypnosis. Yeah, I can't remember the last time it happened. It must be years since the last time I had the shazam put on me. Hell, sometimes it happened over the phone, I'd feel punch drunk with spaced-out-i-ness. Other times there'd be no sound involved at all - just watching something would start it off. It must be something to do with stress levels or security or something. I'm not a particularly stressed person at the moment, but the responsibilities of job, mortgage, etc, are always churning away in your mind somewhere.

Comment

People who work in a customer facing environment who have no idea what "personal hygiene" means.

I shower every morning, have a bath most nights and wear a work shirt once before washing so as to not smell unplesant when talking to customers.

So why is it I walk into some retailers and their staff smell like monkey-ass and look like they've never changed their clothes?

Surely, waking up 15 minutes earlier to have a wash isn't too strenuous, is it?

Comment

It really is rubbish, it's the same in the childrens hospital my girlfriend works in, the shops are all ridiculously overpriced.

When my dad was in hospital following brain surgery the ward he was in had these tv units over the beds With freeview,radio and a phone in it. It displayed adverts on screen all day and it was about ?3 per hour to watch TV on it, the phone was also charged at premium rate to call out from.
                          It's horrible

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                            OK, here's a thing.

I've never really mentioned this before cos it's ... well, it's kind of weird. And it's not really an irk. Just really odd, and a tad unsettling. I'm maybe irked by its oddness. I've only really mentioned it to one person before, and thankfully, they knew exactly what I was on about. But that doesn't stop it from seeming a bit weird.

I'll refer to it as 'getting buzzed up'. It doesn't really happen much now, but in my teens it was a regular thing. What happens is, in certain situations and at certain times, my head takes on a life of its own. I get a really spaced out feeling, almost paralysed, with every nerve ending on my head seeming to 'buzz'. It's almost how I'd imagine hypnosis to feel like. I feel totally vulnerable during it, yet massively relaxed. It takes a real effort to snap out of.

See, just reading that makes it sound all creepo crazy. Irk.
                            Dont worry mate, it still happens to me even now at 33!!
                            A soft soothing voice usually does it for me, then BAM I'm in a relaxed dream state. Its very handy if you're having trouble sleeping as you can usually find a soothing voice on the radio, stick it on low volume & away you go (to the land of nod!).

Also happens when some kind of machinery is making a humming noise, like a street cleaning machine or a hoover

I had that too while in school, or when someone was sitting close to me & making even the smallest of movements

Comment

Peoples recommendations on so called 'classic' or brilliant films.

Too many to mention but examples off the top of my head are Gladiator (battle sequence 15 mins in is only good part), Hancock (too many stories going on), Transformers (not enough robots & all eye candy), 300 (toss, with a deformed character that looked like a cross between The Hunchback & Elephant Man), Dark Knight (story was pants, Ledger not that good), Legend (The original called Omega Man was better). All a waste of my time & hard earned cash.

Then on the weekend they showed Boogie Nights & Godfather Pts 1 & 2.
                              Boogie Nights - Felt like it kinda ripped off Pulp Fiction in a lot of ways, but was kinda boring & went on forever (just like a stud in a real cock film!). And then we get to see the money shot, & tbh I wasnt that impressed it wasnt that big (next to mine that is! ).

Godfather films - Never seen them before & I can see why now. Boring, not much really going on. 1st 1 had a little more action but I wasnt in awe of Brando's performance.

I wish I hadnt bothered now

Comment

Maybe you just have bad taste in films? Give us some recommendations on alternate choices?

Comment

Working...
                                X