Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I used to bag my coins - HSBC will take as many as you bring whereas my Dad is with Halifax (I think) and can only do a max of 3 at a time.

HSBC in Guildford has a brilliant machine - essentially the same as those supermarket ones where you just tip all the coins in and it pays them into your account for free!

Comment

We're with Lloyds and my mum said that they're a bit funny about people turning up with bags of change. Still, paying 8p per ?1 isn't too bad for the luxury of not having to count it all out into little bags.

Comment

My local HSBC has a Coinstar-style machine, but with no charge, that credits your account. Boo-yah! Another good thing is that everyone in the branch turns around and looks at you when you make a racket pouring the coins in.

EDIT - Didn't read koopa's response properly

Comment

Yep HSBC have those machines which is good but they don't like to give change for personal customers anymore so I moved all our accounts/savings/ISA's out of there to elsewhere.

To get around using those change machines at supermarkets we just go to said supermarket and go to the self serve tills when it's quiet and dump loads of change into them instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Ampanman View Post
            To get around using those change machines at supermarkets we just go to said supermarket and go to the self serve tills when it's quiet and dump loads of change into them instead.
            Lol - this is my 2nd weapon of choice

Comment

i remember i used one of those supermarket change machines few months ago had a stack load of change and got over 100 euro lol

Comment

Is the plural of Euro genuinely "Euro," or is that just something people say 'cause it has an amusing ring to it?

Or like in Eastenders where they'd go "A HUNDRED PAAHHND."

Comment

Originally posted by toythatkills View Post
                  Is the plural of Euro genuinely "Euro," or is that just something people say 'cause it has an amusing ring to it?

Or like in Eastenders where they'd go "A HUNDRED PAAHHND."
                  It genuinely is 'Euro'.
                  I've been corrected by the Irish and French for pluralising it myself. Pedants.

Comment

Mind blown.

Comment

I say Euros. I've refused to drop the s until we're all saying 'a pair of sock', 'bag of chip' or 'shower of gob****e'. It's the same for cents too - it's supposed to be cent. At least that's what they say here but cent is already a word and already has a plural (cents) so why should I say cent?!

If I remember correctly, in Ireland it was due to some error that the national broadcaster ran with. Pack of gob****e.

Comment

I think its still important to use apostrophe's incorrectly, so thatd be "pack of gob****'e"

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                          'bag of chip'
                          Bag of crisp surely?

Comment

Have you never had a bag of chip?! From a chippy?!

Comment

Fair play yes, yes I have. But I've also munched my way through many a Lays bag of Chip in Australia (/if I'd ever been, the US), whilst also enjoying hot chip (again,/frie(fry?) if I'd been to the US) from the oven.

Comment

Originally posted by Plough Boy View Post
                                It genuinely is 'Euro'.
                                I've been corrected by the Irish and French for pluralising it myself. Pedants.
                                In Community legislation and official EU-speak in general the singular forms of euro and cent are used, despite what you might expect in English.

In normal usage though, the normal plural forms are used - EU style guides even recommend that usage. So it's fine to say something cost 50 euros, 20 cents.

I think part of the issue is that 'euro' doesn't pluralise very naturally in lots of EU languages and in several, even when used properly in the plural, you can't hear any difference anyway, like euro/euros in French for example.
                                Besides, the French often cheekily call cents 'centimes' anyway. So they can GTF regardless.

Comment

Working...
                                X