This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
    You make it sound like he's flicked a switch on the drone controls from target terrorists to kids.

I'm actually against drone strokes, but there's a big difference between attacking enemy combatants, who have even less regard for human life, and making steps towards reducing the number of guns in the hands of the wrong people.

Obama's not perfect, but showing actual compassion towards victims of shootings and speaking out against a very vocal majority on gun laws deserves some credit.

Or what? You suggesting he does nothing to avoid being called a hypocrite?
    Yeah, no.

"Obama-led drone strikes kill innocents 90% of the time: report"

Nice enemy combatants there. He knows kids are dying and they live in terror of the 24-hour buzz of drones overhead. He knows drone victims can only be considered innocent 'posthumously'. Look military age? In a place the drone pilot doesn't like? 'Bugsplat', as they call them,

He's a tremendous hypocrite. But so have been all modern American presidents. Nothing new.

But if you have the 'courage' and can make the 'hard decision' to butcher innocent children all the time, and deem drone victims only able to be 'posthumously' innocent, in the name of safety of Americans and American children - then be more damned hardline about regulating the guns in America that kill American children every week.

I think that's a fair point.
    Last edited by usman; 08-01-2016, 21:44.

Comment

My job.

No, not my job. I like my job. A particular element of my job: the part where I have to rely on other people doing their jobs right so I can do mine accurately.

Based on the last few weeks this isn't happening causing me no end of stress, anxiety and headaches. Worse, I have reported the issues my colleague and I are facing to the line manager of these other people and nothing is being done about it.

Rapidly running out of patience.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
        No, not my job. I like my job. A particular element of my job: the part where I have to rely on other people doing their jobs right so I can do mine accurately..
        This has got to be one of the biggest sources of stress and anger in any job. Thing is, we all mess up now and again. We all make a poor decision. But when it is our decision, at least we can take the responsibility for that. When someone else messes up or isn't doing their job properly, that is just so incredibly frustrating.

Got to say though, I used it as a motivator to get into a position where it was all my responsibility. Took a long time and I buggered up along the way but generally now, if someone isn't doing their job, it is me. And if it is someone else, it is still me because it's my job to have everyone doing their job well. Oddly that brings more peace of mind even when things go badly wrong. Of course I still have clients and their decisions can be out of my control and that can sometimes bring that same frustration if I see them steering us in a way I know will bring worse results.

I guess the message here is: be born rich and never work. Yeah, I'd like that.

Comment

I think we'll all start retro-actively working on being born to rich parents then!
          Generally it can be very challenging to believe in other people doing their jobs properly. One of our supervisors is moving to Vancouver and it's her last day today. She's not been particularly functional since she got her job over there and it's rather annoying. I still refuse to apply for anything higher up as I'm only too aware of the lack of support from those further above. I'm there to do my job and go home.

Comment

Walking race.....just something about that idea just really irks me i am sure people would say there are strategies and stuff but for me it would be like giving a Formula 1 car only 50hp

Comment

Give it a couple more regulation changes and that's probably what we'll be looking at.

Comment

I work at a dentists and tmj/ jaw/ clenching problems we see in patients all the time.

Last few days I have been really suffering from these problems and all I'm getting from people I work with is
                "Is it stress?" "its stress isnt it?" "DONT BE STRESSED!" "Whats making you do that, stress?" THAT is stressing me out!

I don't think I am stressed! Sure, the month or two before Christmas was a nightmare with shortage of staff and I have a deadline for next week I haven't finished yet, but I am so close and have so little to do its not a big deal. I feel pretty chilled atm as I'm looking forward for all this coursework to be over soon.

I must be munching on my jaw at night (which I have no control over), I have a bite guard but its been missing since last year (as in just before Christmas)
                I have a tendency to wear it at night and find it flung the opposite side of the room in the morning now it's just gone into thin air.

Been doing everything but taking painkillers but after the crap I have had to deal with today (feel so crap I could cry) I'm on them tonight but just the ibuprofen.

Comment

Try to fall asleep on your back. I had a severe problem with my bite this time last year where my jaw would violently click out of place and hit a nerve, I'm super happy that it fixed itself after a couple of weeks. I usually gnash my teeth when my face is side-planted into the pillow - fine otherwise. Try it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                    This has got to be one of the biggest sources of stress and anger in any job. Thing is, we all mess up now and again. We all make a poor decision. But when it is our decision, at least we can take the responsibility for that. When someone else messes up or isn't doing their job properly, that is just so incredibly frustrating.

Got to say though, I used it as a motivator to get into a position where it was all my responsibility. Took a long time and I buggered up along the way but generally now, if someone isn't doing their job, it is me. And if it is someone else, it is still me because it's my job to have everyone doing their job well. Oddly that brings more peace of mind even when things go badly wrong. Of course I still have clients and their decisions can be out of my control and that can sometimes bring that same frustration if I see them steering us in a way I know will bring worse results.
                    People have to get things wrong, otherwise we don't learn. Ok, not so much in a nuclear power station, but I'd rather work with someone that is willing to try things and learn from any mistakes, than someone who believes they have to get everything right first time. There seems to be a mentality that if someone in positions of responsibility gets things wrong, they should be resign / be replaced, but as long as they were being diligent and not turning a blind eye to things that were obvious, then they will be a better candidate for making it work the next time than someone new who might make all the same mistakes.

Doesn't seem to apply to government though. Tories keep making the same mistakes over and over....

At school it seems to be drummed into us that we need to get everything right and that failure is bad. It's not. It's necessary.

Comment

Only if you actually learn something in the process. Too many people don't. I don't buy into the current cult of failure at all but I do believe in taking risks. Risk invites failure and people need to be okay with that. But success is by far the better outcome and the reality is that any project can only take so much failure before it's dead.

If someone fails on a regular basis, that doesn't make them the next Jeff Bezos. But it can make them a serious liability.

Comment

When I had a team of people looking after and developing a database and apps on top, we used to say it's ok to make mistakes as long as you don't make the same one twice. Or delete the backups. We ejected the people that didn't learn and praised the ones that did. Ended up with a really good team with some really good ideas, doing things no one else was. As an aside, the main DBA made a script that self-documented the DB2 database after any changes were committed - devs just had to add comments and descriptions (anyone not doing this in the main schemas was ejected). That guy was a genius. The documentation was in the form of a website with visual links and dependencies and triggers and loads and everything else you can imagine.

Comment

My sister is now not intending to return to the UK after living/ working abroad for 3 years. She has also just split from her fiance as she "likes someone else". This after 3 months ago insisting her wedding will be in Las Vegas in 2017.

Apparently "there is nothing worth coming home to the UK for" and she is making plans to move in with someone else as her partner is moving out. My mum is devistated she is not moving back after postponing the move again last year.

I'm not my sister's boss, she has her own life, but she has been feeding my mum promises of moving closer to her for months now my mum is really depressed that anything like this is not going to happen for at least another year and has no real desire to come home. She's supposed to be visiting next month for a week, not sure how that's going to pan out.
                          Last edited by Blobcat; 17-01-2016, 15:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Blobcat View Post
                            My sister is now not intending to return to the UK after living/ working abroad for 3 years. She has also just split from her fiance as she "likes someone else". This after 3 months ago insisting her wedding will be in Las Vegas in 2017.

Apparently "there is nothing worth coming home to the UK for" and she is making plans to move in with someone else as her partner is moving out. My mum is devistated she is not moving back after postponing the move again last year.

I'm not my sister's boss, she has her own life, but she has been feeding my mum promises of moving closer to her for months now my mum is really depressed that anything like this is not going to happen for at least another year and has no real desire to come home. She's supposed to be visiting next month for a week, not sure how that's going to pan out.
                            Bloody women eh!!!

Comment

To be fair the UK is a bit ****.

Comment

Sky Store pre-order.

First Spectre, now Star Wars.

No home release date yet but, hey, you can "reserve" a digital copyright now.

And get a DVD...a DVD!?!? too.

Comment

Working...
                                X