No announcement yet.

What are you reading now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just finished Forever Odd, which is the second book of four (Read Odd Thomas, the first, before that). It's been a while since I've read any Dean Koontz, but these came as a bit of a surprise to me - initially the main character seemed desperately like an attempt to get 'down' with the kids of the day, however with further reading he becomes more likeable, as does the rather odd way in which the stories are presented (Which actually makes little sense until revealed).

Quite enjoying them. Brother Odd up next.

Comment

Originally posted by Number45 View Post
      I've just finished Forever Odd, which is the second book of four (Read Odd Thomas, the first, before that). It's been a while since I've read any Dean Koontz, but these came as a bit of a surprise to me - initially the main character seemed desperately like an attempt to get 'down' with the kids of the day, however with further reading he becomes more likeable, as does the rather odd way in which the stories are presented (Which actually makes little sense until revealed).

Quite enjoying them. Brother Odd up next.
      While since i read the last one of the Odd books. I don't ordinarily like Dean Kontz, but i found these books very good. I can't remember but i think there is 3 or 4 of them

Comment

Yeah, there's four in all. I got the first three for a fiver in a box set, will hunt down the fourth when I'm done.

Comment

Currently reading a big, fat hardback edition of Michael Palin's Monty Python diaries, about one third in now and it's making for interesting reading, now the fairly dull 'Mr Nice Guy' mundane vibe from the start of the book is replaced by edgier, less restrained entries (Cleese's reluctance to continue with Python when all else involved wanted to continue, Chapman's alcoholism, unpredictability and general lack of work).

Comment

Currently Life, the universe and everything and I have Flatlands: A Romance of many Dimensions waiting in the wings. I'm going to reserve a copy of the first book (1-12) in the Walking Dead series at the library later for next week.

Comment

I have two books on the go at the mo'.

First one is Roald Dahl's Fantastic Mr Fox. I would like to see the movie, so I thought I would read where it originated from.

Second one is Lovely Bones. Only a few chapters in, but seems ok far.

Comment

Party of One: the Loners' Manifesto by Anneli Rufus

"Self-reliant, each loner swims alone through a social world—a world of teams, troops and groups—that scorns and misunderstands those who stand apart. Everywhere from newspapers to playgrounds, loners are accused of being crazy, cold, stuck-up, standoffish, selfish, sad, bad, secretive and lonely—and, of course, serial killers. Loners, however, know better than anyone how to entertain themselves—and how to contemplate and to create. They have a knack for imagination, concentration, inner discipline, and invention—a talent for not being bored.

Too often, loners buy into society’s messages and strive to change, making themselves miserable in the process by hiding their true nature—and hiding from it. In Party of One, Anneli Rufus delivers a long-overdue argument in praise of loners. Assembling evidence from diverse arenas of culture, Rufus recognizes loners as a vital force in world civilization rather than damaged goods who need to be "fixed." A compelling, morally urgent tour de force, Party of One rebuts the prevailing notion that aloneness is indistinguishable from loneliness, and that the only experiences that matter are shared ones."

Really crap book. I was hoping for some insight and snippets of wisdom, but what I got is a woman trying to justify her way of life to the world (and, I suspect, herself) with crap references and crap comparisons. I gave up by page 100 and cursed myself for buying it.

If, like me, you're a loner and want loner literature, don't read this. Go read Buddha, Lao Tzu, Nietzsche or Schopenhauer - loners that actually had something worth saying, whose minds delved into some very interesting places and were all the better for being alone. Don't read the self-centred ramblings of a woman scorning the sociable because the world rejected her (which is what I suspect led her to write this travesty of a book). Haha.

Comment

The Girl Who Played With Fire just arrived.

I've finished the first one which was pretty well written (good translation too!). Only criticism is that it felt a bit OTT at times - just a little forced. Still, good exciting read, so looking forward to this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post

Really crap book.
                    Made me laugh.

Comment

Life. Keef Richard's biography. It's quite funny so far, I'm only 60-odd pages in. Not really a fan of hardbacks on the tube mind.
                      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I can say in all honesty that I haven't properlty read a book in years. The last few I attempted was Dark Tower but it lost me somewhere in the third book as I began to draw itself out and waffle on. I used to read avidly but University beat the interest out of me and I've struggled to have the interest since.

With the lack of decent items in the sales this year I picked up the finally released UK version of Metro 2033. I'm only at the start but so far I'm liking it alot, it's clear from the off that the game changed things in the narrative to amp the action aspects and this delivers a lot more background info. I'm hoping the Bioshock book will one day make it to shelves too after a year of delays.

Comment

Originally posted by NemesiS View Post
                          Weaveworld is superb and yes, its not a horror, its fantasy. It reminds me of The Talsiman in some respects. Barker has written some good stuff but again it's mainly his early stuff imo, like Cabal (Nightbreed) and Hellraiser. Imajica wasn't bad and The Thief of Always was okay but The Great and Secret Show and Galilee (i think its called) were bobbins, so i stopped reading him as well. Barker went very Kingish and made his books hard going to read to keep you interested. Having said that, His Books of Blood volumes 1-6 are quite possibly the best collections of short stories i've read and are a must read.

Also going back to King, two of his books that i would list as essential are: The Bachman Books and Four Past midnight. Both contain four novels or novellas, but the quality of the story telling in each is fabulous. The Long Walk, Sundog, Running Man and The Langoliers in particular are just fantastic stories.

I agree though that there are no out and out decent horror writers any more. Graham Masterton did some decent horrors but its more pulpish when compared to the likes of King.

I read a lot of horrors though and for me the best Horror author of the last 20 years is Robert M McCammon. I can't recommend his books highly enough, especially: They Thirst, Swan Song, Stinger, The Wolfs Hour. Not all out and out horror but stonkingly good reads.

Also Brian Lumley. His seminal Necroscope series is just f*cking awesome and the best series of horror books i have ever read.

Atm, i'm just finishing the latest Raymond E Feist riftwar book. Another great author. The Magician series is fantastic.
                          Agree with all the above - although I haven't read Mr McCammon or Mr Feist yet..

The Bachman books are particularly good.

Comment

Since having got my Kindle I have whizzed through the first two 'Millenium' (Girl who...) series books, and am about a third through the last one. They're not bad but they are massively over-rated, not hugely surprised by this though.

Afterwards I think it's on to 'Hey Nostradamus!' by Douglas Coupland. As per the Kindle thread, I am gutted there is no Murakami on the Kindle store.

Comment

I've had no broadband for a while so I read the quite incredible Crime and Punishment for the first time. Then I read High Rise by J G Ballard which is great but a little unsatisfying, really. I've spent £2 on War and Peace, now...

Comment

Currently a third of the way through the last Millenium book, same as fuse I guess. Not quite sure why they have become this massive sensation but I am enjoying it. Glad the third book got straight into the plot after the first two waffled on for 200 pages.

Anyone read Song of Ice and Fire?

I should come into this thread more often, didn't realise there was another book in the Magician series.

Comment

Working...
                                X