This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by randombs View Post
    I pronounce karaoke as “carry oakie” and Toshiba like in the advert when I’m speaking English but I say them properly when I’m speaking in Japanese, just like I won’t pronounce English words properly in the middle of a Japanese sentence. It’s jarring.
    This was weird when teaching English there, as I had to get practiced at switching between them in that way - you feel like one of those old-school telephone answering machines, or like a commentator in a 32-bit football videogame.

Originally posted by wakka View Post
    Apparently it's Heeundee. I've always pronounced it Hyundye, like the fools it makes fun of in the advert.
    Turns out I've always pronounced it the "new" way; all of their adverts, since the 00s, said the name at the end. Two syllables; Hyn-de. I can even remember the voice sample they always used. Googling though I can't find any of these adverts online.

But admittedly the very old adverts absolutely say "High unn die"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h36Ews_kukk&ab_channel=WestBroadHyundai

Last edited by Asura; 17-01-2023, 07:34.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
      But admittedly the very old adverts absolutely say "High unn die"
      "Don't leave me hiiiiiiiiigh..."

Comment

It's only the same as Hyundai I say it as wakka and most others. The point I'm making is Toshiba didn't tell us after ten or so years we were all getting it wrong, if anything Toshi embraced our way of speaking as per the adverts.

Comment

Hmmm...I thought it was pronounced "those t'upenny h'apenny Korean jalopies".

Comment

Comment

I'm back in the country and something that immediately irritated me is how dirty every public toilet is.

I've just been in a place that is technically considered a developing country, but you could try your hardest to find a disgusting public toilet and not find a single one. Shopping centre ones - immaculate. Outdoor market ones - super clean. Some random toilet that was on the 4th floor of a multi-storey car park in a particularly grotty alley in Chinatown - really nice.

As soon as I get back to Manchester Airport, it honks of urine and there's wet paper all over the floor. What's our problem? Why can't we just keep the toilets clean? It's really not that difficult!

Comment

Airports like many places are struggling to fill those low paid jobs that some people see as beneath them

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                  I'm back in the country and something that immediately irritated me is how dirty every public toilet is.

I've just been in a place that is technically considered a developing country, but you could try your hardest to find a disgusting public toilet and not find a single one. Shopping centre ones - immaculate. Outdoor market ones - super clean. Some random toilet that was on the 4th floor of a multi-storey car park in a particularly grotty alley in Chinatown - really nice.

As soon as I get back to Manchester Airport, it honks of urine and there's wet paper all over the floor. What's our problem? Why can't we just keep the toilets clean? It's really not that difficult!

The mistake here... is limiting it to public toilets. There is almost no more depressing an experience than being on a returning airplane and looking out the window at the grey soul withering misery of the UK

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                    Airports like many places are struggling to fill those low paid jobs that some people see as beneath them
                    That's absolutely true, but I don't personally think that's the problem.

I think it's a British culture thing. We have a a weird, subculture of ****ing around with toilets. People did it in my school as a kid, people have done it to toilets in workplaces I've had as an adult.

Maybe it's some sort of mental problem. If it's not particularly unique to the UK, it probably dates back to caveman days, where I'm sure every tribe had 30 people where 28 of them were normal, and exasperated as to why 2 of them used to like smearing **** all over the cave walls.

Comment

Yeah, I’m with Asura on this one. Arriving in the UK over Xmas was like that. Just generally disgusting toilets. We got to the car park at Heathrow and it straight-up smelled of piss. We’d probably wheeled our suitcases through it, as well.

I dunno about staff shortages cos there was a cleaner outside the men’s room about to go in and clean up.

I’m the first in line to roll my eyes whenever some goofball on Reddit posts about the Japanese football team cleaning up after themselves or how Japanese schools subcontract their cleaning to the students every Friday afternoon but recently I’m starting to think there have to be other factors at play here beyond the lack of demand for low paid jobs.

Comment

Nothing more British than pissing on the floor for the bants.

Comment

I saw a man pissing in the sink in a pub toilet the other day. The toilet was otherwise empty, with all urinals and cubicles available. He actively chose the sink.

Comment

To help balance things out, I once walked into a public toilet in Cologne and the first wall urinal was brimming with No.2

Comment

at the last half dozen posts. Someone at my old place of work did a dirty protest. All the men called into the boardroom to be made aware there was someone filthy among us. Never found the culprit ... you can't dust for faeces.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                                I’m the first in line to roll my eyes whenever some goofball on Reddit posts about the Japanese football team cleaning up after themselves or how Japanese schools subcontract their cleaning to the students every Friday afternoon but recently I’m starting to think there have to be other factors at play here beyond the lack of demand for low paid jobs.
                                Part of me feels this is it, though. It's like how rich people are more likely to treat waiting staff like ****; because they've never had that experience. I think once you've cleaned someone else's **** off the floor, you're unlikely to ever willingly make someone else do that "for the bants". And if you do, you're potentially a sociopath.

Comment

Working...
                                X