No announcement yet.

America & World IV: Trump's Taxing Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can't just dismiss jurors simply because of their race - if all the black jurors were convenient dismissed, there'd be a very good grounds for a case mistrial on appeal.

Not to say that there isn't scope for abuse, but I'm not sure pot luck is better - at least with this system you can weed out extremist views.
    Last edited by MartyG; 07-01-2022, 08:36.

Comment

Law and war. Its the two things the US are known for. Their Jury selection process will be built with rules upon rules none of us will full grasp.
      Im not sure if a case can be retrialed on account of one member of the Jury.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
        You can't just dismiss jurors simply because of their race - if all the black jurors were convenient dismissed, there'd be a very good grounds for a case mistrial on appeal.

Not to say that there isn't scope for abuse, but I'm not sure pot luck is better - at least with this system you can weed out extremist views.
        Actually you can, the lawyers don't give a reason - 'we strike juror no 2' is basically all that is said as far as I know.

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial...gal_challenges - it is the judge that decides whether the the juror is dismissed, not the lawyers and the opposition can object.

If only black jurors were being requested to be dismissed, I'd suspect both the judge and opposition would start asking questions.
          Last edited by MartyG; 07-01-2022, 09:15.

Comment

The peremptory challenge says different

"In American and Australian law, the right of peremptory challenge is a right in jury selection for the attorneys to reject a certain number of potential jurors without stating a reason".

We could be looking at different cases here, plus any savvy lawyer would make sure he or she removed just enough to get an advantage without creating too much attention.

We don't have it so we just don't know enough about it is the long and short of it.

Comment

Britain has a similar, but much more specific system: The prosecution and defence may request a juror be removed only in the specific case that they do not like the cut of their jib.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                Britain has a similar, but much more specific system: The prosecution and defence may request a juror be removed only in the specific case that they do not like the cut of their jib.
                Or if they went to one of those filthy red-brick universities

Comment

The second video is actually quite heart warming in how quick to respond the scavengers are and how clearly immediately one of them instinctively reacts on the discovery. The first video... damn.

Comment

Not sure this is relevant with the thread, Neon.
                    Usually love your updates, but that article is a bit tasteless and sensational.

It's just a bit of a sad story that it happened, but at least it had a happy resolution.

TL: DR

(A baby was saved from a dumpster)

Comment

Yeah another vote here for keeping it more current affairs focused. Always appreciate the updates you do to generate chat NI.

Comment

No probs, it was more of an irk that drifted into a smile thread one so I veered to the next closest thing I think

Comment

Biden comes under renewed pressure to end the filibuster that is blocking voting rights reforms

Comment

I get that Republicans are doing this because of a perception that mail-in votes mainly help the Democrats (so it's basically disingenuous from the outset anyway) but it's a real shame that nothing is being said or done about the widespread use of insecure voting machines in the US. Paper is much more secure. There is a really good documentary called Killchain about how hackable those voting machines are. It's bonkers and scary.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                              I get that Republicans are doing this because of a perception that mail-in votes mainly help the Democrats
                              Have they considered just being better

Comment

Of course not. Politics in the US for the last 30 years has been about putting your opponent down, rather than providing valid reasons for voting for yourself.
                                Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Working...
                                X