No announcement yet.

America & World IV: Trump's Taxing Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whedon denies allegations of threats and cruelty detailed by Buffy and Justice League actors, saying he has been made to seem like an ‘abusive monster’

Joss Whedon responds to the numerous accusations that have been put against him in the last two years. It can pretty much be summed up as 'It wasn't me, it was all their fault!'

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
      https://www.theguardian.com/culture/...ct-allegations
      Joss Whedon responds to the numerous accusations that have been put against him in the last two years. It can pretty much be summed up as 'It wasn't me, it was all their fault!'
      Am I the only one who feels that someone (or likely a few people) in Hollywood are determined to spin "Whedon's a bit of a prick and egomaniac who cheated on his wife" (which is pretty clearly true) into a much bigger story than that?

Like all these articles about him in recent years seem to say a lot without saying much.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
        Whedon's a bit of a prick
        When that level of power dynamic is at work (director/showrunner who gets to work with relatively new actors who desperately need a break and can't risk upsetting things), being a bit of a prick can have way more impact than a guy down the pub being a bit of a prick. So while there might indeed not be anything more to it, I can see how sometimes maybe this needs to be a bigger story than it usually is. He's not the only one and it's often tolerated or even seen as part of the job. And yet there are great directors who aren't pricks and it absolutely shouldn't be part of the job.

Keep in mind that for someone (or as you say, likely a few people) in Hollywood, Hollywood is actually their workplace.

Comment

The trouble with the Whedon accusations is how they cover a long period of time over pretty much every show and film he's been involved in. It's only really come out since Justice League and I imagine part of that is him coming across to a different studio and getting involved in someone else's work whilst having that work then not be the financial success it needed to be. Effectively it removed the Hollywood protection around him and opened him up to people speaking out more confidently but his accusers are now many and whilst the details aren't that in depth I lean into buying into them because his defence is so weak and we're also talking about an industry that is incredibly forgiving for bad practice celebs and directors and yet even the studio he made to $1bn+ films successfully with has steered clear since too. No-one seems happy to bat in his corner and after such a long career it seems odd that that would be the case if the accusers were wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
            And yet there are great directors who aren't pricks and it absolutely shouldn't be part of the job.
            I should say, here, that my belief is founded upon something that might be a fallacy - that I've never worked in Hollywood, but have always believed (following the stereotype) that all big-time directors have an egomaniacal/domineering streak when working, even if they're not necessarily bad people in most other contexts.

So I'm approaching this feeling that all of them are like this, just some of them have stories leaked and some manage to keep a lid on it. That's mainly because I've never known a manager in a somewhat menial profession who has worked for 20 years and never said something out-of-turn (that they probably regret) when it's 4am and a deadline is looming and someone isn't playing ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
              always believed (following the stereotype) that all big-time directors have an egomaniacal/domineering streak when working.
              I can tell you with absolute certainty that this is not the case. Some definitely do though. And in terms of some live-action sets, I have found there to be some weird antagonistic vibe all round, often just simmering under the surface. I don't quite know why because it does not in any way contribute positively.

And probably same as most workplaces, it will only exist as long as it is tolerated. Shifting from live-action to animation (which I know better), there are some studios where people are worked to the bone and their directors act like absolute dicks and treat people like dirt. People will work there for 20 years and think it's normal. Whereas another studio in the same city treats people well and would never, ever tolerate that sort of behaviour and, for the most part, people are way happier while they make much better stuff. That's kind of how it works - some places just accept things as normal.

Definitely the vibe on live-action sets that I've seen has been more negative by comparison, but I know of a whole bunch of sets and a whole bunch of lovely directors who get the best from people because people actively want to give them the best.

Comment

The heat between the US, UK, Ukraine and Russia continues to escalate

Comment

Well I'm building my underground shelter. Ordered a spade from Amazon and everything.

Comment

Russia likes to stir up ****. Ultimately this will die down because Russia doesn't want a war. Its just flexing to see who does what. If no one responded, they'd just march in, but because Nato have they won't.

Comment

Think the issue is that Ukraine isn't in NATO so Biddy Biden can't use the excuse of 'they attack one of us, they attack us all'.

Vlad is using brinkmanship but he knows that we for example won't get involved and the EU doesn't have a force either so he's testing as you say to see what Biden does which will probably be not much.

Comment

Arnie involved in a car accident.
                        The actor-politician was unhurt in the collision, as photos show a large SUV on top of other cars.

...waits...

Comment

Comment

...I'll do it then...

He'll be back.

Let's try again, some monkeys have gone missing after a crash in the US.
                            The monkey was being transported to a lab in Florida but escaped after the accident in Pennsylvania.

Comment

They’ll be back?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                                They’ll be back?
                                ..Yes!

Comment

Working...
                                X