UK VIII: Testing Times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wakka View Post
    When do the benefits of Brexit start again? We did have a good reason for flushing our passports down the ****ter, right? I think something about money for the NHS?
    I'm still waiting to see one.

A single, solitary positive.

Don't care what it is.

Could be something which ****s over someone else at this point, like, importers are going bankrupt but British wine producers are making more money. Dairy industry is struggling to meet demand but that's because demand for British cheese has doubled. At least someone benefits.

Not including those earning money via corrupt means.

Anything.

Anything at all.

Comment

We got the vaccine first?

Comment

We eh...
        Well there is the... Eh...
        Oh wait... We got more eh...

No... Nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
          We got the vaccine first?
          So far this is the only thing I've heard which might qualify.

However although it's true, it's not like our overall numbers are better - and it's pretty trounced by how the LEAVErs were all talking about getting our border controls back, yet when the first real test of this came about, we utterly failed to do what New Zealand have done.

Comment

Well, it was a gamble that paid off in the end whilst the EU waited for actual approval which gave us a month or so head start (correct that if it was less).

New Zealand are against it now, unable to reopen and having more lockdowns for a few cases. They also have no vaccines and an unwilling population because they haven't witnessed a problem. Reopening is an issue whilst we are (hopefully) pretty much done with the restrictions.

Numbers are bad though, obviously I agree with you there!

Comment

The double dose of vaccination is failing to produce anti-bodies in 2/5 people who have weak immune systems

Whilst within five to six months of dosing the average person the effectiveness of the Pfizer vaccine drops to 74% whilst the effectiveness of the Astra-Zenica vaccine in the same timeframe drops to 67%. By the critical winter months the most vulnerable groups who were first vaccinated will all have less than 50% protection and falling without booster shots underlining the repeated utter failure of the Government to get a handle on surging case numbers and the heightening risk that September onward will drive Wave 3.5

Comment

I think we’ve established the government could give a toss at this stage, nor has a clue, nor has any plans in place.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                  I think we’ve established the government could give a toss at this stage, nor has a clue, nor has any plans in place.
                  But by the same token neither do the general public
                  It's all just a thing now & no one's bothered anymore
                  I'm in Clacton at the moment on a holiday park & it's all business as usual as it was before the pandemic
                  The evening club entertainment is horrific the amount of people crammed in is worrying
                  We do the kids entertainment until 7 & then straight out & to the local park in the air again & back to the van
                  Genuinely trying to keep our contact to a minimum but it's hard

I was saying the other day it's become so inconsequential to many people now that I'm actually wondering how long it will be before they stop reporting cases & deaths...I think we aren't far from that point now if I'm honest

On another part I see the heavy handed nature that New Zealand & Australia are taking & I'm not even sure that's the right course of action now either
                  They seem to be fighting a losing battle with their public too & despite the amazing progress they made they have caused a different kind of problem going forward

Neil

Comment

Yes, terrible as it sounds I'm glad we are on the other side of it and NZ are kind of just starting.

Comment

Ummm. guys? 132,000 people or so have died from covid in the UK. 174 just yesterday. Yesterday. That is not by any standards "on the other side of it". You're right in it. 26 people have died in NZ. Total. A fraction of the UK's daily number yesterday. You would have to do some serious mental gymnastics to even remotely come to the conclusion that NZ is not doing better than the UK and won't consistently manage to do better unless their people start to get as idiotic as those of us over this end of the world. And even if that happens, that wouldn't be them doing worse. It would simply be them coming down to our level, if it even ever happens. It is baffling to see any attempt to look at NZ and think you're better off.

Comment

You just need to look at how the people who live there are reacting to lockdowns still. To them, for barely any reason. Then there is the steep fines and imprisonments.

I said I'm glad we are on the other side of that already, and not looking at another year or more like NZ are.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                          Ummm. guys? 132,000 people or so have died from covid in the UK. 174 just yesterday. Yesterday. That is not by any standards "on the other side of it". You're right in it. 26 people have died in NZ. Total. A fraction of the UK's daily number yesterday. You would have to do some serious mental gymnastics to even remotely come to the conclusion that NZ is not doing better than the UK and won't consistently manage to do better unless their people start to get as idiotic as those of us over this end of the world. And even if that happens, that wouldn't be them doing worse. It would simply be them coming down to our level, if it even ever happens. It is baffling to see any attempt to look at NZ and think you're better off.
                          Pretty sure I never said they were getting to our level or in just getting into it

I merely said that their amazing progress (which it is) MAY have caused them another problem going forward in things like Vaccine hesitancy & prolonged lockdowns over what many see as miniscule numbers

I admire what they achieved it makes us look all the more retarded but they definitely have to try & get their populace on their side & want to get vaccinated

Neil

Comment

But their lockdowns have been nothing compared with ours. They have spent most of the last couple of years living normally within their own country (getting in and out is another matter!). Even if they locked down completely for the next year, which they won't and aren't suggesting, they'd still have come out of this with more freedom than we had.

Comment

I don't believe getting the vaccine early has anything to do with Brexit either.
                              We chose, as all EU countries had the choice, not to be part of the EU vaccine rollout.
                              We chose not to because we already had our own vaccine waiting in the wings.
                              And we had our own vaccine waiting because our science team already had a similar vaccine they believed they could engineer into a covid vaccine.
                              None of this was to do with Brexit.

Comment

Technically, yes. But I feel like the decision may have been part of that Brexit wave. And it paid off. The EU rollout was much slower. No idea where the stats are now though. I feel like, at the pace it was going, pretty much all of the UK must be double vaxxed?

Comment

Working...
                                X