UK VIII: Testing Times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
    I use Barclays app on my phone. Still need to put the card PIN in for anything over 45.
    One of the banks were trialling a fingerprint reader in the card that when used at the time of NFC would let you go over that basic amount.

It worked but they junked it because Apple pay etc... Is better and anyone who has a card generally has a smart phone these days.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
      I’ve been using Apple Pay with my phone and watch for years and it allows contactless payments of any amount. First thing I used it for was £300. Most I’ve spent contactless was buying a TV at £1100. It’s the way things will go for all contactless services eventually.
      Originally posted by wakka View Post
      Yeah, and Apple Pay (and Google Pay) have the benefit of being much more secure, since they require you to authenticate every time, and generate a single-use virtual card for each payment that isn't reusable if copied/intercepted. I also use Apple Pay for everything. I haven't carried a wallet in years. It wasn't even a conscious decision, I just stopped taking it out with me because I didn't know what I'd even use it for.
      I see lots of people doing this with their phones & smart watches but they just seem like such a faff to use (could be I'm just stuck behind people who can't use them properly lol) that it's just quicker & easier to stick with my card but may investigate further

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
      https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...han-a-year-ago
      UK Covid cases are currently 26x the number they were this time last year
      Just proof now that people care less & less about it
      The increase is definitely down to things like Football & nightclubs being back
      I doubt they'll bring much back in the way of restrictions though, there just isn't the slightest hint of care from the government to do anything anymore

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
        I see lots of people doing this with their phones & smart watches but they just seem like such a faff to use (could be I'm just stuck behind people who can't use them properly lol) that it's just quicker & easier to stick with my card but may investigate further
        Neil
        It’s really very easy to use. Double click the long button on my watch and present to card reader. Done.
        On the phone cover finger print reader with appropriate digit and present to card reader. Easy. How peeps can struggle with that I don’t know.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
          It’s really very easy to use. Double click the long button on my watch and present to card reader. Done.
          On the phone cover finger print reader with appropriate digit and present to card reader. Easy. How peeps can struggle with that I don’t know.
          Lol sounds like I'm surrounded by idiots then
          The amount of them I see that faff with their phone, present it to the reader, wave it a couple of times, take the phone away, faff a bit more re-present it & then wave it again and it works lol

Not saying it's difficult just my experience is with idiots

Neil

Comment

The Barclays app seems easier. Just hold the phone. If lower than 45 then it's done. If above it pops up the pin screen and then retap.

Comment

One of the issues is that the readers don't all have the contacts points in the same places, so I find the faffing comes from touching the top when they're on the side.

I welcome the change, I don't want to be touching keypads thousands of others have and given the rising cost of petrol, you can't fill up for under £50 now.

The issuing banks will tell the machines to require a PIN entry if they spot unusual activity, such as the card being used in a different place, or several transactions in quick succession etc.

Comment

Yeah on the iPhone it’s literally just double tap the sleep/wake button. It scans your face. Tap phone to card reader.

It’s a lot quicker than digging a card out of your wallet.

Comment

Daily Mail or The Onion?

MOS COMMENT: Bureaucratic rigidity threatens to condemn this country, and the EU itself, to a wholly needless crisis over trade between the UK and the Brussels-ruled bloc.

Comment

Hilarious

Comment

I for one look
                      Forward to eating nothing but tinned food from now on

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                        If only there was some sort of "Union of Europe" that would allow for free trade of goods between nations.

Somebody should suggest that.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                          I for one look
                          Forward to eating nothing but tinned food from now on
                          With the labels removed so it's lucky dip every mealtime.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                            If only there was some sort of "Union of Europe" that would allow for free trade of goods between nations.

Somebody should suggest that.
                            How dare you use common sense like that, go read the sun newspaper as punishment and think about what you just said.

Comment

It's stupid in a way that there isn't a clear EU trade agreement route without effectively being bound by unrelated rules too given that was effectively the original intention.

It'll be interesting to see how the coming years pan out for the EU. Not in terms of Brexit but just because COVID has become a big driver for 'us first' mentalities between countries so it's easy to see how existing issues could soon be dialled to 11.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                                It's stupid in a way that there isn't a clear EU trade agreement route without effectively being bound by unrelated rules too given that was effectively the original intention.

It'll be interesting to see how the coming years pan out for the EU. Not in terms of Brexit but just because COVID has become a big driver for 'us first' mentalities between countries so it's easy to see how existing issues could soon be dialled to 11.
                                Not being funny, but this "EU may be doomed" scenario has been consistently and wrongly predicted time and again.

Have they made mistakes in how they've handled the impact of the pandemic (like PLENTY of other nations) within the bloc? Sure. But the fact that they're, y'know, the World's biggest trading bloc will clearly insulate them from the most severe fallout in ways that nations outside of it won't be protected.

It was predicted that Brexit would trigger the EU's demise and see many other nations want out like the UK. Funny how that simply hasn't happened four/five years on... it's almost like there's a majorly pragmatic reason for that...
                                Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 31-08-2021, 10:45.

Comment

Working...
                                X