yeah, can anyone help me too ^^

Comment

Try here.

http://www.japan-zone.com/index.shtml

http://metropolis.japantoday.com/default.asp

http://www.japan-guide.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Oh! My Car!
        If I'm gonna be taking money from an ATM at the post office does anyone know if they charge you commission?
        You'll be charged a fee by the post office, a fee by your bank and whatever the exchange fee is. If I take out money the fee's usually a few quid, about ?3-5. Best to take out a wedge if you don't feel uncomfortable carrying it around. Loads of locals in Tokyo wander round with hundred/thousands of pounds in their wallets anyway.

Post offices are ok for getting money out but there's no 100% guarantee the service will be provided or working on that day.

Citibank is the best bet for foreigners. they open 24 hours a day (usually) and on holidays. All banks and post offices are closed on holidays and even the ATM's in the conveniene stores stop working.

Get a list of Citibanks, they can be a real life saver!

Comment

Yeah, it is amazing that the Japanese feel safe carrying around a huge wad of cash.

Comment

Originally posted by Peanuts
            Yeah, it is amazing that the Japanese feel safe carrying around a huge wad of cash.

If muggings were virtually non-existant, wouldnt you feel safe?

Comment

Ok, umm I have another question(although my last few weren't answered,heh). This one is more important anyway. I'm only 19, and I've been informed that the legal age to drink alcohol in Japan is 20. Anyway, what are my chances of being asked for I.D?(I don't look younger than I am or anything)Likely or unlikely? I'll be with people who are over 20 so I'll just get them to buy my drinks but... if I did get asked and it was discovered that I'm 19, what should I expect to happen? Should I risk it, keep in mind that I'm going for 2 months and I do like to drink when I'm out with my friends.

Comment

If worse comes to the worst, you can always buy beer in vending machines!

And did you check those links above? They have some useful info for tourists.
                Last edited by Richard.John; 22-05-2005, 04:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Jushin-Thunder-Liger
                  If muggings were virtually non-existant, wouldnt you feel safe?
                  I know that muggings are not an issue in Japan, but I still wouldn't carry around a couple of grand in my walllet. Japan needs debit cards, that's the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoey
                    Ok, umm I have another question(although my last few weren't answered,heh). This one is more important anyway. I'm only 19, and I've been informed that the legal age to drink alcohol in Japan is 20. Anyway, what are my chances of being asked for I.D?(I don't look younger than I am or anything)Likely or unlikely? I'll be with people who are over 20 so I'll just get them to buy my drinks but... if I did get asked and it was discovered that I'm 19, what should I expect to happen? Should I risk it, keep in mind that I'm going for 2 months and I do like to drink when I'm out with my friends.
                    Chances of being asked for ID as a foreigner are almost 0.

Comment

Out in Shibuya on saturday night if anyone fancies a pint

Comment

Originally posted by Peanuts
                        I know that muggings are not an issue in Japan, but I still wouldn't carry around a couple of grand in my walllet. Japan needs debit cards, that's the answer.
                        Yes, the banking system in Japan is so out of date it's unbelievable.

Walk into a Japanese bank and there are 200 bank tellers shuffling paper. Almost nothing is automated and there are no 24 hour bank ATM's!

It's like the Japanese banking system is run by Captain Manwairing from Dad's Army.

Comment

Agreed, it is terrible. People just assume that being Japan, it is high tech,blah,blah. It isn't. Thank god for online banking.

Comment

Just out of interest whats the cheapest someones spent on going to tokyo for 2 weeks not including luxury purchases (so food, hotel/youth hostel and plane tickets)

i'd love to go but need to convince a few its not neccessarily millions of money

Comment

Originally posted by womblingfree
                              Yes, the banking system in Japan is so out of date it's unbelievable.

Walk into a Japanese bank and there are 200 bank tellers shuffling paper. Almost nothing is automated and there are no 24 hour bank ATM's!

It's like the Japanese banking system is run by Captain Manwairing from Dad's Army.
                              Hang on - they don't have debit cards in Japan?

Comment

Generally no. Japan is still a cash based society. Personal cheques are rarely if ever used and CCs are not used for small purchases. As others have said, the banking system here is glacial in its rate of change. 24 hour ATMs are rare, you can't exchange money easily like you can in the EU,etc.

Pretty **** basically.The UK is years ahead in this regard.

Comment

Working...
                                X