Left 4 Dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FreelancePolice View Post
    I'd like to investigate but I think the zombie numbers are the same on all difficulties except they do more damage on the higher levels so you end up being downed more. They might throw waves more often but I reckon the waves are the same size on all difficulties.... I might be spouting crap though :P
    Maybe youre right., it could just feel like there is more, youre right they certainly do more damage, but thats just another reason why youre outnumbered really and just backing up my point that the game dosent need team work so much as it does 4 players who are adept at first person shooters.

Comment

Also a game that required more team work than this, and one that isnt that old, would be Rainbow 6 Vegas 2, that game requires you to be completely coordinated with you partner when playing in co op. Compared to that game, this isnt much of a co op experience at all really.

Comment

But, on Expert in particular, because of the amount of damage even a single zombie can do to your player, the whole game takes a completely different vibe. It's a game of true survival - only five hits from a bog-standard infected is enough to floor the player at this difficulty, so you're forced to watch everyone's back for the entirety of the campaign as a tight team with constant communication.

And, instead of just standing your ground in one location, it's a constant journey against the odds. As far as I'm concerned, just moving the difficulty to Expert makes the game a completely different beast. It's certainly not the run and gun from A-to-B that people think.

I'd not say that it requires more or less team-work than Horde mode in Gears 2, but I'd not actually compare the two anyway.

I'm certainly not one for trying to sway anyone's actual opinions of this game - I'd just rather that proper facts were made clear to everyone rather than supposition.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarbles View Post
          But, on Expert in particular, because of the amount of damage even a single zombie can do to your player, the whole game takes a completely different vibe. It's a game of true survival - only five hits from a bog-standard infected is enough to floor the player at this difficulty, so you're forced to watch everyone's back for the entirety of the campaign as a tight team with constant communication.

And, instead of just standing your ground in one location, it's a constant journey against the odds. As far as I'm concerned, just moving the difficulty to Expert makes the game a completely different beast. It's certainly not the run and gun from A-to-B that people think.

I'd not say that it requires more or less team-work than Horde mode in Gears 2, but I'd not actually compare the two anyway.

I'm certainly not one for trying to sway anyone's actual opinions of this game - I'd just rather that proper facts were made clear to everyone rather than supposition.
          I agree that changing the difficulty alters the game, but no one was ever arguing that anyway. I was discussing how i dont think the games mechanics are particuarly original and it dosent require anymore teamwork than alot of other games, and as I mentioned, in somthing like Rainbow 6 Vegas 2's case, this requires alot less team work if anything.

I wasnt even bashing the game, as i stated i think Brats just likes to argue.

Comment

Brats, do yourself a favour and put Chain on Ignore. Makes the forum a lot less stressful

Comment

Amount of zombies is down to the AI director you can have more mobs on easy than on say normal if your having a bad spell on normal.

Regarding smokers and hunters the only way to get a smoker off you when your reeled in is by a teammate as you become incapacitated. Their is a point up to this you can shoot him as he is reeling you in but once he has you constricted their is no escpae other than another member shooting him off you. Same with the hunter you can kill him when hes coming at you but once your pinned by him their is no espape other than another team member to get him off you by melee or shot as your incapacitated and cannot fight back its the whole point of the hunter to pin them down and leave them helpless. Same with smoker you want to be able to hang them so the rest can attack em ie get em hanging so their helpless then send a boomer in to puke on him so it attacts the horde so even if the team get him free their in for a zombie fest. Its a nice trick of the AI director on the big fight on a chapter that two of you are left doing well one of you gets pinned so you go in to save him and up pops the smoker reels you in so your both stuffed and cannot move then a boomer comes in vomits on your hanging body and in come the zombie horde to eat you both.

AI director shoves zombies on how bad or good your doing on higher levels stuff like friendly fire do more damage (melee does zero damage so always best to use that in close quaters). The game needs a hell of a lot of co-op support when you play it on the higher levels to protect each other.
              Last edited by Guest; 26-11-2008, 12:19.

Comment

Is there much lag in the PC version? Team Fortress 2 played like a flicker show for me, despite having a decent internet connection and system overall.

Comment

There have been some instances. Nothing to really think about though.

Comment

No lag for me except the usual internet burps.

Comment

I thought they fixed the lag in TF2 almost straight after release anyway? This has been pretty much perfect so far. Bearing in mind this runs on dedicated servers it should be fine.

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                      Brats, do yourself a favour and put Chain on Ignore. Makes the forum a lot less stressful

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                        Yeah, sorry for having an opinion different from others, and having the vocabulary to express myself. If you can't contribute to my discussions, then please ignore. Despite my opinion that Brats was jumping the gun saying the game has longevity, he puts forward his ideas and I respect that.

I actually take your dismissive post as a compliment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
                        Also a game that required more team work than this, and one that isnt that old, would be Rainbow 6 Vegas 2, that game requires you to be completely coordinated with you partner when playing in co op. Compared to that game, this isnt much of a co op experience at all really.
                        You know, I felt that the first time I saw a vid of this game. It looked too fast, though it sounds like Spags had the same concerns which went once he played it. I'd like to see this kind of game at the R6V pace, with that cover mechanic; slowly clearing rooms. Tactics tend to work better in a slower game, where you've got the time to really come up with clever solutions. As I posted, that's something I was interested in modding on the PC version, although right now I wouldn't have the time to put in to it.
                        Last edited by Matt; 26-11-2008, 18:41.

Comment

as a rule I hate the following :-

FPS
                          zombie films
                          online co-op games

kudos to Valve then cos I'm finding this brilliant, both off and online, played about 3 hours today and this is one of the best games I've played this year.

it just feels finished and polished and can't really fault it so far.

superb stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by merf View Post
                            kudos to Valve then cos I'm finding this brilliant, both off and online, played about 3 hours today and this is one of the best games I've played this year.
                            I don't think you're allowed to think that it's one of the best games you've played this year until you've played it for at least 4 hours and 36 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulos G View Post
                              I don't think you're allowed to think that it's one of the best games you've played this year until you've played it for at least 4 hours and 36 minutes.
                              I've pumped in about twenty hours in the past week across two formats and still eagerly look forward to playing it every lunchtime at work and in the evenings. Am I allowed to jump the gun yet?

This game is quite good to the max.

Comment

this game gave me zombie dreams, it does seem to have very strong hooks into me.

its a great example of game design, I love the way it has a less is more approach and feels perfectly refined and stripped down.

I won't call it game of the year as its a bit early into it for me to make that call, I can't recall a game this year though that I've enjoyed my first few hours with so much.

Comment

Working...
                                X