Radiant Silvergun XBLA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MadMarc View Post
    Really ? seven buttons for a shoot'em up?
    Im playing on my arcade stick and I'm having trouble learning which button fires what. And I play Street Fighter very often.
    I noticed some combination of buttons produce the other weapons assigned, so I'll use that instead.

Does anyone know how to have a very big sword like in the video of the demo when you don't touch any button?
    Is it when you have a lot of bullets around you like in Shikigami no Shiro 2 or do I have to power it up?
    The larger sword is a special move (seems to behave a little bit like a smart bomb with the added bonus of a brief moment of invincibility) and is acquired by nullifying the pink bullets with your regular sword. Once the chain meter under your score is full press RT to activate the special move.

Comment

well I played this to death on the Saturn and perhaps with Rose Tinted glasses I bought it yesterday.

Heralded by many as the best shooter of all, I think time has been unkind to this. Ikaruga is a better game, and I had forgot that you really have spend hours on this to power up the weapons in Story Mode. In true Treasure style the scoring and gameplay tricks remain elusive to the casual player which to many western gamers will probably mean they will pass this by..?

The graphic updates are welcome and Treasure need to be applauded for bringing this to the west.

So for me it is a trip down memory lane, but so far it doesn't seem quite as great as I remembered it.
      Last edited by jim g; 15-09-2011, 14:25. Reason: text corrections

Comment

Thinking stage 2 was too a hard route, I chose stage 4 instead. What a mistake that was. F**king hell, it's mental. I think this is the hardest game I've ever played. Can't wait to auto-unlcok the extra continues and freeplay as I don't think I'd ever see the later levels otherwise.

Anybody know what 'Merry' refers to? I keep seeing I have no 'Merry' when it shows your chains at the end of a play. Silvergun mentioned it earlier in the thread too but I don't know what it is.

Comment

Merrys are the hidden dogs. Find them (usually in scenery) using the rotating lock-on shot.
          Last edited by bcass; 15-09-2011, 15:10.

Comment

Originally posted by jim g View Post
            well I played this to death on the Saturn and perhaps with Rose Tinted glasses I bought it yesterday.

Heralded by many as the best shooter of all, I think time has been unkind to this. Ikaruga is a better game, and I had forgot that you really have spend hours on this to power up the weapons in Story Mode. In true Treasure style the scoring and gameplay tricks remain elusive to the casual player which to many western gamers will probably mean they will pass this by..?

The graphic updates are welcome and Treasure need to be applauded for bringing this to the west.

So for me it is a trip down memory lane, but so far it doesn't seem quite as great as I remembered it.
            It always seems better when you pay ?80 for it

Comment

Cheers, bcass. I presume they're worth good points?

Comment

Heralded by many as the best shooter of all, I think time has been unkind to this. Ikaruga is a better game, and I had forgot that you really have spend hours on this to power up the weapons in Story Mode
                I don't think its the best shooter, but its way better than Ikaruga imo.

Depends. I paid ?45 for mine back in the day and its as good now as it ever was.Price of the game doesn't come into for me. I loved and love it for pushing the host Hardware to the max and for being such an epic shooter is terms of scale, bosses (some of the best in any shooter) and that music score

It's just an epic combination where one gets an huge rush with those rotating backgrounds,insane bosses & bullet patterns and an epic music score

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
                  Cheers, bcass. I presume they're worth good points?
                  The point value varies depending on which one you find. I think you can find one very early on but it's not worth much at all, whereas there is one you can find on the third area in that gives you a tad over 100,000 points just for revealing it.

My love for this game comes from the difficulty. There is a massive, endless potential for scoring just by progressing through the game and that is something you dont get from shmups made by Cave, for example.

While I see it as a flaw in some ways, as i mentioned earlier, the score ties in directly with how powerful your weapons get but I kinda love that. You can milk the earlier levels for a high early score and get some super satisfying weapon power for the next few stages, making survival that little bit easier.

It is definitely a classic, and it's a game that doesn't really have an equal or even an imitator. It's very much unique.
                  Last edited by Silvergun X; 15-09-2011, 15:45.

Comment

There's one in the bottom right of the screen as you start the first level

Comment

On the Saturn version, the arcade mode had a 30 second tutorial mode where it displayed the controls and let you play around with the weapons. I remember there was a hidden merry on the tutorial that gave you something stupid like 50 million points and let you play around with maximum level weapons. Tasty!

Comment

Originally posted by Boris View Post
                        I paid ?50!

Comment

I paid ?80 for mine and sold it for ?120 lol

Comment

?120 for me... Late adopter, worth it though.

I used to know where all the Merrys were in the first couple of levels, now I can't remember any of them.

Comment

I think this is superior to Ikaruga in most areas personally and the better game overall, but I can understand why some might prefer Ikaruga with it's stylish visuals, clever gameplay and tighter mechanics.

Played Story Mode for an hour now but haven't been rewarded with any extra continues or lives. Maybe they haven't included the time-played unlocks in this version?

Comment

I think you unlock continues differently in story mode. Check the FAQ at gamefaqs.

Comment

Working...
                                X