Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by saturn-gamer View Post
    Big mistake. I hope you weren't a pyro.
    Knight, no intention to use magic or miracles until the second run. In fact, I was also tempted to attack

the maged I free before the Capra Demon

and the Cleric in the Firelink Shrine, but he mentioned "companions" and I don't want a party clerics after my undead hide.

Comment

Originally posted by ruarai View Post
      As you play short-cut links between the areas open up so make sure look all over an area for ladders to kick and doors to open.Just beat the

Gaping Dragon

after dying with two phantoms from Japan helping me I went solo.It took all 30 soul arrows and 8 fireballs and loads of close-quarters to take him down and just as went in for the final couple of blows he threw his acid guts up all over the place and I had to leg it.Great boss fight as I'd made the mistake of thinking it would be easy like the big bosses in Demon Souls.
      Wasn't to sure if it was as good as Demons but after that boss I'm in no doubt.
      Thanks for that mate. Stupidly, decided to do some grinding today, getting some souls and level one or two stats. What happened? I came across the undead merchant in Undead Burg. There was a barrel next to the merchant, I slashed at it... not happy... at that point I switched off my PS3 but too little too late methinks. I've not booted it up since but I'll probably have to restart. At least I wasn't that far into the game, just 2 and a bit hours.

Comment

That guy in the sewers, I never knew you were not meant to attack, so I killed him..i'm melee luckily it seems.
        Last edited by SUMIRE; 09-10-2011, 20:30.

Comment

You don't have to take a hit from the hellkite dragon, its something Demon's Souls vets know... take off your heavy armor and run. I think I did die first time through, but during that I saw 2 safe spots left and right (while I just ran straight, thinking of DeS). And they were possible to reach in time. I think thats a fair part. About the archer on the tower, he always hit me once too. But it was never deadly.

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
          I died about 100 times. I didnt cut off his tail either. You must be incredibley good at these games if you only died once, either that or youre a really high level (I was level 28 i think). Becuase one mistake and you are in trouble with that guy.

The fight was alot easier once I had realised that he seems to do his attacks in relation to how far you are stood away from him. It is easy to get him to charge at you and then dodge him when you realize that. Youre still dead if you end up on the wrong side of him as he does one of his powerful attacks though.
          Probably even a lower level. It doesn't really matter, I think he one or two shots you regardless of level anyway. Demon's Souls isn't much about levels. It does make things slightly easier but its generally so that bosses can near OHKO you on high levels as well. Biggest difference is in your attacking power, a higher power means you need lesser strikes to kill and thus less incoming attacks to dodge.

I completely rinsed 3 versions demon's souls since the Asian release. And one rule is to turtle until you've seen it all. Thats how I approach every boss and thats why the capra is such a bitch ass as its aggro from the first second.

Dark Souls enemies have more obvious patterns imho. The melee bosses always have one or 2 attacks that will leave them open and most attacks in this game can be blocked by a good shield. I also find riposte to be easier and longer useful this time around, as I still use it. A LOT of enemies can be backstabbed also, just by circle strafing and releasing your shield right after an attack. That, plus never attacking a pack head on pretty much let me sail through this game. Ofcourse I still die about 100 times per day but its part of the game.

One death was epic in particular. I was standing still right in front of a fog gate, put the controller on the couch and somehow those borked L2 and R2 buttons hit the surface which resulted me doing a strong swipe and falling off a ledge
          Last edited by saturn-gamer; 09-10-2011, 21:00.

Comment

Originally posted by saturn-gamer View Post

Probably even a lower level. It doesn't really matter, I think he one or two shots you regardless of level anyway. Demon's Souls isn't much about levels. It does make things slightly easier but its generally so that bosses can near OHKO you on high levels as well. Biggest difference is in your attacking power, a higher power means you need lesser strikes to kill and thus less incoming attacks to dodge.

I completely rinsed 3 versions demon's souls since the Asian release. And one rule is to turtle until you've seen it all. Thats how I approach every boss and thats why the capra is such a bitch ass as its aggro from the first second.

Dark Souls enemies have more obvious patterns imho. The melee bosses always have one or 2 attacks that will leave them open and most attacks in this game can be blocked by a good shield. I also find riposte to be easier and longer useful this time around, as I still use it. A LOT of enemies can be backstabbed also, just by circle strafing and releasing your shield right after an attack. That, plus never attacking a pack head on pretty much let me sail through this game. Ofcourse I still die about 100 times per day but its part of the game.

One death was epic in particular. I was standing still right in front of a fog gate, put the controller on the couch and somehow those borked L2 and R2 buttons hit the surface which resulted me doing a strong swipe and falling off a ledge
            Oh I played Demon's Souls alot too. I feel the enemies are generally harder in this game though. The combat is more difficult, but I'm finding the game is structured in an easier way so it balances things out.

The Capra Demon was hard, but I didnt think he was hard at all when compared to the Gaping Dragon becuase once you know how to beat Capra you can do it with your eyes closed, there is room for error there.

The thing that made the Capra Demon hard was the dogs, they got in the way, the first time i actualy managed to kill both dogs I did it easily, becuase his attacks are very easy to dodge.

There are no tricks to the Gaping Dragon though, you simply have to make sure you dont make mistakes, and over those 4 hours i was trying to beat him one thing I realized is that I am very prone to making mistakes.

Oh yeah, and those sholder buttons. I remember the trouble the caused me in Demon's Souls. They never made me die but i rested the pad on a table once and did end up killing an NPC by accident which resulted in me leaping 10 foot across the room and unpluging my console.

The memory of that alone makes me glad I have this on the 360.
            Last edited by rmoxon; 09-10-2011, 21:58.

Comment

I would agree completely as to reasons behind the Capra Demon being a pain in the neck. Absolutely no chance of getting any space between you and him, and two super-quick dogs to get in your face also. I rang my second bell earlier (and beat the boss just before it on my first go!), and joined a new covenant, but I have to get some other things done this week before I can get back to it. Can guarantee I'll be reading this thread and thinking about the game like a nutter though...

Comment

Quick question guys - about 5 hours in and [HIDE]beaten the Taurus Demon. Before trying to deal with the dragon on the bridge I went back to the previous bonfire to save and power up. Obviously the normal enemies respawn but will Taurus Demon also come back? I hope not![/HIDE]

Comment

Originally posted by parkinho View Post
                  Quick question guys - about 5 hours in and [HIDE]beaten the Taurus Demon. Before trying to deal with the dragon on the bridge I went back to the previous bonfire to save and power up. Obviously the normal enemies respawn but will Taurus Demon also come back? I hope not![/HIDE]
                  No. Bosses do not respawn, and infact some of the larger normal enemies dont either.

The game saves constantly, every time you do the slightest thing. So the moment you have done somthing like kill a boss then you have done it forever. And that is that.
                  Last edited by rmoxon; 09-10-2011, 22:16.

Comment

Ah just what I wanted to hear, cheers mate!

Comment

Just killed the

dragon boss

in the sewers. I decided to try a summon, I wasn't sure how it worked as I've never summoned before, worked out ok, was a great battle, so much fun with other people!

cut its tail off and got a rather nice weapon that I cannot use yet, need loads of strength

Last edited by SUMIRE; 09-10-2011, 22:42.

Comment

I thought the

gaping dragon

was cake personally. He killed me once by

swiping his tail and catching me off guard, but once I sussed his attack pattern out he was probably the easiest boss I've fought so far. All you do is keep your distance, wait for him to slam down, run around behind him as he charges and you can get like 3-4 swipes in before he does anything. I never even saw him vomit anything. I also missed out on the tail weapon even though that's pretty much the area I attacked

Comment

Just watched the Invisible Walls show at Gametrailers and it's definitely a love hate game. I never played the first one and only bought this a few days ago, so still not sure whether I like it or not or whether frustration overcomes joy or vice versa.

Comment

Originally posted by Synthesthesia View Post
                            I thought the

gaping dragon

was cake personally. He killed me once by

swiping his tail and catching me off guard, but once I sussed his attack pattern out he was probably the easiest boss I've fought so far. All you do is keep your distance, wait for him to slam down, run around behind him as he charges and you can get like 3-4 swipes in before he does anything. I never even saw him vomit anything. I also missed out on the tail weapon even though that's pretty much the area I attacked
                            That's exactly how I beat him. The trouble is that he seems to have a huge life bar and takes a good 20 minutes to wear it down. I kept nearly killing him and then making one mistake and dying. It took me all yesterday afternoon to kill him.
                            Last edited by rmoxon; 10-10-2011, 05:03.

Comment

Started this up last night and had just a quick go, I'm still in the tutorial area having just felled the first boss. The boss was the only thing that caused me a little grief as it took a bit to get used again to the slow timing and unhelpful camera but once settled it stopped being an issue. Despite the dark and dingy aesthetic this is a better looking game than Demon's and any areas that have been cut back don't feel that way. I think this is something I'll pick at till it bores me rather than hammer all the time as I learnt from Demon Souls that you have to keep with games like this or you won't return though it's not as enjoyable a game as others for me so it'll be my secondary for a few weeks I think

Comment

I prefer the graphics of DeS myself. Way more detail in enemies, take the Skellies for example and in DkS I can't really distinguish all the regular grunts.

And the character faces look better when close up while the armor had more shine. DeS also ran at a higher resolution and had less framedrop problems in general, but the game had less AA though.

What makes DkS great is the metroid style open world and the lots of different uses of lighting, there is a huge difference between the darkness in the forest and the dark depths.
                                Last edited by saturn-gamer; 10-10-2011, 07:08.

Comment

Working...
                                X