INFAMOUS SECOND SON review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SUMIRE View Post
    Seems pretty good this, very nice graphics, but shame its 30fps. Reminds me a lot of Crackdown.
    It isn't. It has locked V-sync but a variable framerate. Digital Foundry say towards 40fps if I remember correctly.

Comment

I don't think it plays that similarly to ACIV, I would have said it was much shallower and closer to Crackdown.

I've spent about 15 hours with it and just unlocked the

third power.

Orb (I mean shard) collection is a highlight for me as I love the climbing and exploring that let's you see all the details and care put into the city.

For me the game feels like a solid 7, maybe 8. However the visuals are so incredible and due to my own interest in graphics, the game is on a personal level more like a 9. My impression is that the gameplay and visuals are actually a bit repetitive, and the missions are good fun but very much on the design safe side. So last gen the game would (and did!) pass me by, as there were so many AAA games I didn't get time to check the series. So for me, I've never been a super hero in a game like this before & it feels fresh and exciting to zoom around the place. I must also add, that I knocked the difficulty down to easy, as I found some encounters too challenging for an old man like me.

But at the end of the day, the game could have been a 6 & I'd still have an enormous enjoyment of seeing what the next gen will bring. Killzone was a hard game to love, but also a hard game to experience the visuals due to the closed nature of gameplay. With this game I have a city of next gen happyness and super powers to own it and even if that wrapping is covering a 7/10 game, its still one hell of a ride.

When visuals like this get combined with the best talent of the industry like Rockstar or Naughty Dog in 2-3 years, I think we will be in for a treat!

Comment

This feels nothing like aciv to me! More like the first infamous, which in turn is like Crackdown. Not got caught out on scenery either, unlike aciv where I was constantly fighting the controls!
        Hadn't even thought about draw distance but yeah, the days of pop up might be over!

Comment

Not getting the Assassins creed comparisons your a lot more powerful and you can traverse the world a lot quicker too, the double air zoom thing negates a lot of the frustration in AC as its not about picking the correct path its about doing whatever you like and kicking the crap out of the bad guys its a super hero simulator not an assaisn simulator.

your actively encouraged to fight and destroy stuff, theirs none of this hiding in bus shelters on roofs rubbish that ac seems so fond off, if i could compare it to anything its like a really polished next gen crackdown, i cleared out the first district and provoked a showdown now i own my first area and i think i will get the rest too, hunting the drones/orbs and clearing out the levels seems to be a quick affair and one that can be done while traversing the map.

Its great fun and a pretty cool next gen playground, i cant help but think that a more fleshed out moral system and a more fleshed out combo system would have made for a more polished experience, a devil may cry juggling system where you could flick between melee and projectile combat would have been great its a real shame they haven't advanced the game-play massively but its still good fun and has been said it looks amazing.

Comment

Have just made it to the second island...done everything on the first island. The hidden cameras are a pain but my approach is now to just use the neon powers karmic combo. Using a super powered hammer to crack a tiny nut!

Are the little drones supposed to be all stuck on scenery BTW?

Comment

It can't be much like ACIV or I'd have been bored and given up after two hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Loftgroover View Post
                Have just made it to the second island...done everything on the first island. The hidden cameras are a pain but my approach is now to just use the neon powers karmic combo. Using a super powered hammer to crack a tiny nut!

Are the little drones supposed to be all stuck on scenery BTW?
                i think its intentional, makes them harder to find, I've seen one on a ledge that i had to climb up to get and one stuck under a glass roof so far, stupid little things.
                Last edited by Lebowski; 24-03-2014, 14:27.

Comment

Same here bought AC on launch and got bored in about two hours,well past it's sell by date

Comment

Originally posted by BIG EDD View Post
                    Same here bought AC on launch and got bored in about two hours,well past it's sell by date
                    I did the same...

Comment

Well, at the moment I'm ignoring the story and going through the first island clearing out each area 100%. I'd made it to

Chinatown on the second island

but decided to go back as it's so much fun finding pockets of DUP and kicking their butts!

I think I could probably Platinum this if I wanted. The expert playthrough will be done when I do my evil playthrough as decimating everything should be easier than sparing innocents.

Mwahahahahaaaaa!!

Comment

53% through now, just started the other side of the bridge after defeating that DUP agent..

Im not sure i prefer this over Crackdown though yet

Comment

This is incredible. I spent so long just 100%ing each area that I only just got around to carrying on with the story and unlocking
                          . Oh my god! How gorgeous is this game!? I'm in agreement with Cappers that this is the best looking game I've ever seen. The feeling of power is incredible. Enjoying the story as well.

This game has highlighted the disaster that is the bloody sharing system on PS4 though. Roll on Firmware 1.7 so I can just save videos and pics to a USB drive. I really want to post some cool videos but it's just not happening. Whoever thought that uploading videos to Facebook was a good idea wants shooting.

EDIT: I spent an hour just smashing up DUP stuff. It was like watching Metal Gear Rising as I sliced up all their boarding and towers. I'd cleared the areas out long ago but wanted rid of all sign of the scum!

Comment

Oh my god. What a ride! What a final 5 hours WHAT A GAME! What an ending, what a rush, what an extraordinary game. I can't explain. Without spoiling but that Is just batpoo Insane. Credits even deserve an award. Thank you sucker punch, thank you very much indeed.

Comment

I have cleared out the city...got everything except one blast shard.
                              It really is an empty place now!!

Suppose I better crack on with the story then...

Comment

ok this is officially the nicest looking game i have ever played, truly a landmark in graphics for consoles.

Comment

Working...
                                X