GAMES TM Issue 24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MD
    So you've downgraded a game because a game that isn't out yet will have a better feature that no ones seen? Okay.... ^_^;;;;
    No, it sounds like the reviewer is instead just not UPgrading a poor game on the grounds that it would have the redeeming feature of being the sole Live-enabled football title, when said accolade would only last a few short weeks.

Comment

But England International Football had online play.

True, it's only just better than FIFA...

Comment

Originally posted by MD
        So you've downgraded a game because a game that isn't out yet will have a better feature that no ones seen? Okay.... ^_^;;;;
        No, it's simply a case that Fifa's online mode isn't a unique selling point. And even if it was, the game wouldn't have scored much higher - it's still ****.

Comment

I only recieved my issue today, since I had to have it posted back from France, and lo and behold, I have had another letter printed!

Though I think whoever replied missed my point somewhat.
          I was bitterly complaining about the fact that all these companies, whose names I dont even recognise, want people with lifelong experience in the industry instead of fresh graduates. Which is what I will be in 4 years time.

The reason I dropped my games design course in favour of Japanese was partially due to the fact that ABSOLUTELY NO COMPANY seems to have any interest in hiring fresh graduates, regardless of wether they have a "first" and "the kind of sublime arts portfolio to put the renaissance to shame" or not.

And seeing as my A-level portfolio comes damned close to that anyway, it was after all featured in a teachers Edexel exhibition as one the best collections of student art in the entire country, it didn't bode very well for me about to embark on an expensive 4 year course where afterwards I probably wouldnt get any employment out of it.

So I thought to hell with that, if you cads are not interested in skilled individuals with great CV's and portfolios who are straight out of the University education machine, then screw you guys! And hence I went with Japanese.... for reasons I have yet to fully understand myself.

Anyway, go and take a look at those ads, and the ones in edge are even more pathetic. As I stated in the letter, they are simply recycling people already in the industry. Why in gods name is a guy with a big salary, 10 years experience in a big corporation suddenly going to drop it all for a no name company no one has heard of?

And as for those BS agency ads, they're not fit to wipe my derriere with.

EDIT:
          Originally posted by PeteJ
          I see John Szczepaniak has written in again with an anger-fueled letter; he's so cute

Whoa, steady on there Pete old boy, you 'aven't even seen me beard yet.
          Last edited by Sketcz; 25-10-2004, 21:45.

Comment

Outrun 2 is like a fine champagne. Enjoy it occasionally and savour the experience.

Burnout3 is like cheap Gin. It puts a smile on your face and makes you dizzy, but at the end of the day it gives you a headache, and leaves you with an empty feeling.

Last edited by Leon Retro; 26-10-2004, 00:50.

Comment

Originally posted by otaku84
              IAnyway, go and take a look at those ads, and the ones in edge are even more pathetic. As I stated in the letter, they are simply recycling people already in the industry. Why in gods name is a guy with a big salary, 10 years experience in a big corporation suddenly going to drop it all for a no name company no one has heard of?
              My mate has an MSc in computer science and no-one in the games industry would touch him as they argued his skills were entirely theoretical and he lacked any practically applicable knowledge whatsoever: couldn't even get a placement at Codemasters, Rare etc. He had music tech knowledge as well (and proven practical experience of).

He does web design now for Holland & Barrett (and hates it, incidentally).

I believe it's called the academic gap (or somesuch).

You can't really blame an industry in turmoil (in the UK at least) for playing it safe and asking for Catch 22-like entry requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by anephric
                You can't really blame an industry in turmoil (in the UK at least) for playing it safe and asking for Catch 22-like entry requirements.
                Sorry to hear about your friend, thats awful... and a bit scary too.

But otherwise, industry in turmoil? Corporations not making enough money?
                Originality being squeezed out by the all buying EA? The end of gaming as we know it? Grey faced America taking over the industry? Another crash heading our way?

I hope those greedy fat pig-f**kers crash and burn!
                I wouldn't cross the street the piss on their heads in order to put out a fire

EDIT:
                oh, Im sorry, am I being too cynical this morning? Well EXCUSE ME! Ive only just run out of my usual breakfast of bourbon soaked corn flakes, so sue me!
                Last edited by Sketcz; 26-10-2004, 08:57. Reason: There was not enough cynicism in the first post

Comment

You sound a bit like Redeye in your edit, Otaku84

Comment

He'll take that well, I imagine.

Comment

m000gle

I doubt whether it is that hard to get a job in the UK games industry, personally I found the best thing to do was to ignore agencies and adverts in Edge.

Just send your CV with a (company specific) covering letter and a simple game demo/art reel direct to places where you would like to work.

The main things to remember are:

Take time to make everything you send look as good as it possibly can. Send your demo stuff on a CD/DVD.

Be enthusiastic about the company, this is where bypassing ads/agencies works in your favour because it shows that you have made an effort to apply rather than lazily getting someone else to do it.

My mate has an MSc in computer science and no-one in the games industry would touch him as they argued his skills were entirely theoretical and he lacked any practically applicable knowledge whatsoever: couldn't even get a placement at Codemasters, Rare etc.
                      Games companies generally do not take placement students, nobody in my year got a placement at a games company, yet myself and most of my friends were each offered several jobs in the industry when we graduated.

It is true that theoretical skills will generally not get you very far, you cannot expect to get many job offers if you cannot at least send some decent demo work. The point is that you dont have to have had a job in the past to be able to do this, just knock up a simple game at home.

Comment

Originally posted by baad bwoy
                        You sound a bit like Redeye in your edit, Otaku84
                        No, in order to sound like Redeye I would have to call anyone who has ever played videogames a complete wanker bastard, purely for liking games.

I was simply disrespecting some companies, not gamers.
                        gamesplayers get such a time as it is, they deserve all the respct they can get.
                        Games players, I SALUTE YOU! 8)

The Shape knows what article of Redeyes I am reffering to.

If you want scans of it, PM me, and Ill email you a gif/jpg/word file of it.

Comment

Originally posted by m000gle
                          Games companies generally do not take placement students, nobody in my year got a placement at a games company, yet myself and most of my friends were each offered several jobs in the industry when we graduated.
                          I've seen Rare advertising graduate placements...

My mate has an MSc and applied to them all (practically) for a whole year (and spent a few thousand on some sort of further qualification, not sure what).

He gave up, eventually.

Mayhap you and your friends are infinitely more skilled than he...

Comment

Originally posted by anephric
                            I've seen Rare advertising graduate placements...

My mate has an MSc and applied to them all (practically) for a whole year (and spent a few thousand on some sort of further qualification, not sure what).

He gave up, eventually.

Mayhap you and your friends are infinitely more skilled than he...
                            I have never been that good at coding, I am sure your mate is technically way better than I will ever be.

The point I was making is that this is a very hands on industry, if you can show a company a decent demo it tells them a lot more about you than any number of qualifications ever will.

I guess this is unusual compared to other industries, but I personally think it makes a lot of sense as I imagine it results in having more people with a genuine interest in making games.

Comment

Working...
                            X