Nintendo Wii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MartyG
    "Yeah, and you?re being distributed by a company called Koch [this is genuinely, absolutely, literally ****ing serious, users]. Seriously, if you think it?s bad now, what headlines are you ****ing expecting when there are console shortages?

?Koch Dribbles Out Wii?
    This will be the one and only time I use the term on this forum (bar forming graphical smilies), but...

LOL.

Comment

They've lost the plot haven't they? Seriously, even fanboys think the name's totally bonkers. And if Nintendo haven't got fanboys, what have they got!?

Head of nintendo, yesterday.

Comment

The "w" apparently represents two people, hence the inclusivity of the whole thing.

It's the journos working on the mags I'm ging to feel sorry for-imagine having to tell people you work for "Official Wii Magazine". In the real world beyond the games industry people will just rip you to shreds about that name.

Comment

lol that's perhaps one of the poorest names possible, people would struggle to take that seriously..i dont think this would help with their kiddie image tbh

Comment

Originally posted by Shin Gouki
            There's no chance this machine is going to be called Wii in the west.
            I really hope it is!

It's so bad it's brillant!

Comment

This is Ingrish at its best surely?

Funniest thing I've read in gaming terms for ages.

Laughing stock. End of.

Comment

Originally posted by suicidepirate
                Not sure about that actually - I work in a Japanese company and all my (Japanese) collegues were just as bemused by the name as I was. You're right about "ii", but unfortunately it's called Wii and the "ii" bit does not spring to mind for a Japanese person (it involved some chatting before that was even noticed). So i'm not sure it'll go down a treat as you suggest; clearly it's not going to be interpreted as badly there as here - but it's by no means a great name even for the Japanese market.
                sorry for the delay in replying! This thread is growing way too fast!

Well I think the name will be a success with the majority of nintendo's audience in Japan, which is primarily of a young age. I think anyone in their 20's or younger over there would think of it as a super kawaii name, and the kids will love it.

Personal opinion of course, but its a perfect piece of Engrish branding. Much like the delicious strawberry flavoured chocolate bar called 'Asse'.

Comment

I'm looking forward to the first Medal of Honour game on the Nintendo WII.

(sorry!)

Comment

The more I think about the name, the more bloody stupid it sounds. If they call it wii over here they are effectively commiting suicide. I thought 360 was a crap name, but wii!
                    I know it's only a name but jaysus face, WII.

Comment

Wonder if WE 11 will be a lauch game for the WII?

Comment

Wii can only speculate at the moment to bii honest.

Comment

Originally posted by Shin Gouki
                          There's no chance this machine is going to be called Wii in the west.
                          This is a possibility. However, considering the Super Famicom and Famicom were around before the Internet, not many knew about these machines original names. It's a possibility but the name has already been published world wide.

Originally posted by Peanuts
                          I assume it's going to be transcribed in katakana as uii (ウイイ)
                          The website types it as "ウィー".

Comment

it's gonna have water cooling too

Comment

If you say it out loud it sounds like "Nintendo'y" (like "fluffy")

Comment

Originally posted by billy_dimashq
                                it's gonna have water cooling too
                                It's doomed then.

Comment

Working...
                                X