Latest PS3 Firmware Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest PS3 Firmware Updates

Latest PLAYSTATION 3 Firmware Update Provides PlayStation, PlayStation 2 and DVD Upscaling Remote Play on PSP (PlayStation Portable) via the Internet and DLNA transfer of media content also enabled London, 24 May 2007 ? Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) announced today availability of the latest version of the PLAYSTATION?3 (PS3?) firmware. Version 1.80 features upscaling of PlayStation? and PlayStation 2 games, and DVD movies up to full 1080p HD resolution when viewed on a compatible HD TV set.

The capability to upscale DVDs to HD quality is a feature normally only associated with top range DVD players, and its inclusion in the latest firmware upgrade now allows PS3 owners with an existing DVD collection to dramatically enhance the viewing pleasure of their DVD collection when viewed through a compatible HD TV set1. Not only can DVD movies be enhanced to full 1080p HD quality but so too will PlayStation 2 and PlayStation games be upscaled to provide much improved gaming pleasure.

In a comprehensive update to PS3?s already impressive capabilities, Version 1.80 also allows users to enjoy Remote Play on their PSP across the internet, allowing them to access their PS3 anywhere in the world where a broadband internet connection is available2.

Version 1.80 also allows users on a home network to seamlessly view and play rich media content such as images, music and video on their PS3, that is stored on their DLNA3 enabled devices such as PCs and laptops elsewhere in the house, reinforcing PS3?s credentials as a home entertainment hub that truly deserves pride of place in the Living Room.

A host of other enhancements include the ability to print photo images stored on PS3?s hard disk or inserted storage media to a selection of Epson printers.

PS3 owners will be able to upgrade their PS3 with the latest Version 1.80 firmware from 24th May 2007.
    Last edited by Bleeders; 23-05-2007, 14:02.

Still no XMB access in games, upscaling should be nice though, as well as accessing your PS3 from other places.

Comment

So, I'm wondering if I can stream stuff from the PC to the PS3 via my PC easy enough, without having to use something like TVersity?

Comment

Originally posted by Bleeders View Post
        So, I'm wondering if I can stream stuff from the PC to the PS3 via my PC easy enough, without having to use something like TVersity?
        I hope that's what this means.

"Version 1.80 also allows users on a home network to seamlessly view and play rich media content such as images, music and video on their PS3, that is stored on their DLNA3 enabled devices such as PCs and laptops elsewhere in the house, reinforcing PS3’s credentials as a home entertainment hub that truly deserves pride of place in the Living Room."

Comment

Awesome news, will update tonight and see if it has any effect on Okami.

Myth, the XMB access in games is rumoured for the big 2.0 update.

Comment

I would've thought they might've saved the upscaling thingy till number 2.0. Oh well, sooner the better, very interested to see how the upscaling works - does the PS3 have a scaler chip it can use?

Comment

Apparently (I'm sure I'll be corrected on this one) there is scaling functionality within the RSX.

Comment

Originally posted by Number45 View Post
                Apparently (I'm sure I'll be corrected on this one) there is scaling functionality within the RSX.
                Any GPU can scale, it just uses GPU resources.

VF5 internally upscales to 1080p on compatible screens.

The difference is the 360 has an external scaler which can do it without using resources, though in the case of DVD's and PS1/2 games, I can hardly see a problem with resourses.

Comment

Looking forward to trying out Shadow Of The Colossus in upscaled glory

Comment

Originally posted by Bleeders View Post
                    That's the dream. As for streaming videos, I wonder if they will have to be MP4? I am guessing so.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff D View Post
                      Looking forward to trying out Shadow Of The Colossus in upscaled glory
                      And ICO, and Outrun 2 SP, and well everything really. Even Ridge Racer 1 should be good.
                      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33 View Post
                        Any GPU can scale, it just uses GPU resources.
                        Makes sense, but I'm sure I read something about access to that part of the GPU having not been provided by the SDK yet? I would have thought that suggests specific hardware functionality?

Comment

Originally posted by Number45 View Post
                          Makes sense, but I'm sure I read something about access to that part of the GPU having not been provided by the SDK yet? I would have thought that suggests specific hardware functionality?
                          Nerdtastic. Why not just wait and see?
                          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Because he's a massive nerd.

1080p DMC3? Yes please.

Comment

Upscaled Odins Sphere? I think I may just mess my pants

Comment

Working...
                              X