No announcement yet.

Latest PS3 Firmware Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ray Tracers looks sweet! I had a sneaky hours blast before work. Not yet tried a PS2 game though. They haven't turned the EE off have they in JPN units?
    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Spatial101 View Post
      As Andrew said, if your TV's got a good scaler anyway this update won't make that much of a difference.

edit: Concept, I didn't try SotC just now but as the update's made no difference based on past playing of the game you won't see much difference at all I'm afraid.
      Thanks.

I was hoping with it being one of Sony's most critically acclaimed first-party games that they'd include some clever software trickery in the update and give it Halo 2-levels of new resolution sheen. The wait goes on then.

Comment

This page on the Neogaf thread has before and after shots of SOTC:

Post #1186

Comment

if your TV's got a good scaler anyway this update won't make that much of a difference.
          I don't follow. Do you mean with movies? PS1 titles look way, way better than before.
          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Can't say I'm impressed with the scaling option as it's made little difference for me. God of War II still looks an appalling jaggy, blurry mess (and still far worse than on my old CRT set where the game almost popped out of the screen at you for clarity and image).

As Andrew said, if your TV's got a good scaler anyway this update won't make that much of a difference.

edit: Concept, I didn't try SotC just now but as the update's made no difference based on past playing of the game you won't see much difference at all I'm afraid.
            Did you try the filtering option ?
            its ment to take the jaggies out

Comment

Now, I'm thrown into doubt again. That does look be a significant improvement in a game which easily pixelises on a PS2. Don't know if it's just because the camera shooter's television scaler is crap on its own though.

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                I don't follow. Do you mean with movies? PS1 titles look way, way better than before.
                Nah I'm just talking about games - haven't tried movies.

Originally posted by dvdmike
                Did you try the filtering option ?
                its ment to take the jaggies out
                Yep, made no difference.

Originally posted by Concept
                Now, I'm thrown into doubt again. That does look be a significant improvement in a game which easily pixelises on a PS2. Don't know if it's just because the camera shooter's television scaler is crap on its own though.
                I'm trying SotC right now because of those pics. Give me a sec and I'll let you know what it looks like.

Comment

Nah I'm just talking about games - haven't tried movies.
                  PS1 games? I have noticed a vast improvement myself. Titles were extremely blocky before on my 50", now they look crispy kreme, I mean clear.
                  Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Concept View Post
                    It's the filtering that makes a difference, if your TV does a good job, the upscaling should make very little/no difference.

The filtering just makes the edges of things look soft - great for photos, but the aliasing / flickering is still there, it just looks distorted now.

I prefer it off, some people like it on. Might work ok with PSone games, but PS2 looks better off in my opinion.

Comment

The PC/PS3 link up works really well, it seems a lot simpler than with the 360 to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by Evolution-One View Post
                        The PC/PS3 link up works really well, it seems a lot simpler than with the 360 to be honest.
                        Could you give a quick step-by-step tutorial please?

Comment

Originally posted by Evolution-One View Post
                          How do you do it with the PS3, I'm gonna try that later on...

What video formats can it stream out of interest? Maybe Sony may allow XviD/DivX...that'd be a clever move because it'd make the PS3 my new home theatre hub.

Comment

It automatically detects my NAS running TwonkyMedia server 4.2Q, but videos refuse to play (even .mp4 that I know works on PS3) and music/picture browsing is rather slow compared to the 360.

Comment

My PS3 can see my PC, but refuses point blank to run anything.

Comment

The upscaling is making PS2 look better for me. Before the update my PS2 picture had what I can only describe as ghostly watermark style dots (really hope someone knows what I mean there ). Now they've gone. I've kept the fluffy filtering off...we don't like that.

Comment

Working...
                                X