Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wools View Post

That?s all part of racing though.
    Maybe so but pro drivers are paid to do it. I don't want to be sat there an hour in a race only to have my car totalled by something out of my control.

Comment

I guess what the online play really needs is ranking servers where people who race well and don't crash get more ranking points. So then you just match make to people at your ranking level.

Works for Street Fighter 4.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
        Maybe so but pro drivers are paid to do it. I don't want to be sat there an hour in a race only to have my car totalled by something out of my control.
        There's also no physical risk in videogames. It's not a good idea to brake late when just behind someone as in real racing it's bloody dangerous, let alone it might spoil your chances in the race. The risk of ramming someone in most games is that you get a slight dent in your front wing and the car might handle slightly off.

Conversely, the problem with getting rammed is that you lose control and can smack into the barrier at speed, ending up with a smashed up heap that has to crawl around the rest of race whilst the others lap you.

Comment

The last time I played Gran Turismo the most effective way of getting round corners was just using opponents' cars as a buffer and bouncing round effectively. At least damage will discourage that I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
            It probably says something about what I get out of driving that I enjoy Time Trial where it's just you, the car and the track than any other mode!

I can safely say that despite owning all major racing games on the Xbox 360, I have probably played under 20 hours online in total. Part of that is because I enjoy pushing myself in the car more than competition with other drivers, however I have enjoyed what I have played online. PGR4 was my favourite, yet it was full of the worst and dirtiest racers I've ever come across. They would turn into you on the grid, ram into you on the first corner and turn in to finish the hat trick when you are attempting to overtake them.

Despite this, I could be rammed into last position on the opening lap, but calmly rejoin the race and be on the podium or take the win at the end of the 3 laps. It was bloody good fun jostling for position and rely on them employing dirty tactics as you come to pass. On the other end of the spectrum, Race Pro players were some of the most refined and exemplary I've fought against online so either it would be a tense race or be settled within a few minutes.

This can also be applied to Single Player AI where an hour into your endurance race, a blithering AI driver car rams into your side knackering the steering. Is it fun to realise you're screwed and will either have to complete the lap a few minutes down and pit to fix the damage, or you'll have to end your race? Well no it's not and it was interesting to see Turn 10's answer to that problem with the time rewind function. Having that almost made damage seem meaningless but I would rather total a car on a 4 minute rally stage and start again where the alternative on a GT based game is to re-start a 30 minute race from the beginning. Polyphony has made no mention of such a system in GT so it looks like this will be like Race Pro in regards to difficulty!

There's no simple answer to account for what everyone could stomach, but I'm at least glad of the possibility of major cosmetic damage, even if that means I'll have to re-enter a Spec A & B Endurance race or two!

Comment

Which version of the game will you all be getting? Japanese or U.S release?

Comment

UK for me, I'm now deciding which edition I'll be getting!

Anyone getting the Signature Edition?

Comment

Standard edition all the way. Not bothered with all the overpriced stuff in the uber editions and DLC for this game is pointless for me as I'll never collect all the stuff that's in it as it is

Comment

I'd buy the tesco value edition if it existed. A bare disc in a card sleeve with a PDF for a manual and I'm good to go!

Comment

Originally posted by Wools View Post
                      UK for me, I'm now deciding which edition I'll be getting!

Anyone getting the Signature Edition?
                      Mine's on pre-order.

(I've also got Halo Reach Legendary Edition being shipped and COD Black Ops Prestige Edition on pre-order). Cheap couple of months gaming coming up then!

Comment

Originally posted by Super Grover View Post
                        Mine's on pre-order.

(I've also got Halo Reach Legendary Edition being shipped and COD Black Ops Prestige Edition on pre-order). Cheap couple of months gaming coming up then!
                        You need to kick the SE habit. There a waste of time and money. Buying at least 4 normal editions gives you enough money to buy another game, rather than stuff you look at once and shelve.

Comment

Wrong forum to be arguing against special editions

Comment

Originally posted by englishbob View Post
                            You need to kick the SE habit. There a waste of time and money. Buying at least 4 normal editions gives you enough money to buy another game, rather than stuff you look at once and shelve.
                            Agree totally.

However I find SE/LE/CE of some games rather more appealing than 'vanilla' versions.

A hefty bit of overtime at work will ease the pain of my credit card!

Comment

Find in-depth gaming news and hands-on reviews of the latest video games, video consoles and accessories.

More features!

At this year's TGS, it's "Gran Turismo Anywhere," a new web portal for the racing sim. Features of GTA – actually, let's just call it Gran Turismo Anywhere – include My Home, which includes message boards, photo sharing, and the like, as well as Remote Races, which isn't real-time racing over the web, but rather a racing team management simulation.
                              Loving the poll on that page.

Comment

You want more?

Gran Turismo brainbox Kazunori Yamauchi has revealed some of the new tracks and cars you'll find in the fifth instalmen…

"You might expect to drive off course into the lake, but that won't make it for the launch of GT5,"

Comment

Working...
                                X