No announcement yet.

Gran Turismo 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surely as of 2008, it had cost $60M? He didn't say the original GT cost that much, he said GT5 had.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
      "In an April 2008 interview, Yamauchi revealed that 150 people had worked on Gran Turismo 5 for four years, with all of Polyphony Digital's 120 employees working on GT5, and the game costing 50 times more to develop than 1997's Gran Turismo, with Yamauchi later disclosing that Gran Turismo 5 had cost $60 million to develop" (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gran_Turismo_5)

So as of 2008, it had cost $3,000,000,000 to develop (4 years worth). So add on another $2,000,000,000 for the 3 years since then. That's a total of $5bn to develop.

Original GT sold 10.85 million copies, so maybe this will sell that many. So to break even, this will have to retail at $500 a copy. Even if every PS3 owner on the planet (35m) buys one, to break even, it will have to retail at $142 a copy (presuming manufacture costs are negligable compared to the bonkers dev cost).

Either Yamauchi is a big fat liar, or this is the biggest balls up in the history of massive balls ups in balls up land.

There's also another alternative. That I've got my outrageous sums wrong.
      Yes you indeed have got your outrageous sums wrong. He meant the entire game has cost $60m to develop and that amounts to all costs over the entire 4 year period. And Believe me it doesn't matter how much the game gets delayed when its finally released they are going to make a fortune on GT5.

Comment

Oh come on, $5billion! LMAO

Comment

Originally posted by Sam The Man View Post
          And Believe me it doesn't matter how much the game gets delayed when its finally released they are going to make a fortune on GT5.
          Just like Duke Nukem Forever then.

Comment

Charles, you really should work for the Daily Mail with that whole using some of the words they used but removing others thing that you have going on there!

Gran Turismo 5 had a $60 million budget which included the development of the 5 million copies of Grant Turismo 5 Prologue that were sold up to June this year. Also, the interview was with Autoweek on the 5th November 2009 which by most people's reckoning isn't anywhere near 2008.

Comment

But John, you're forgetting about the 200 Quangos that helped with game development as well....

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                Just like Duke Nukem Forever then.
                Well yeah im sure that will sell Well but no where near GT5 levels as i think the general gaming public are aware that GT5 will be a higher quality game as its not just the development time of the game but the quality of the team that works on the game.

Comment

In related news, I saw a 60 plate SLS AMG today. It was next to a Ferrari (Don't know the model, I think it was a limited edition 430) and it made the Ferrari look rather poorly in comparison.

Comment

See, what they should have done is make a deal where they take a couple of the teams that churn out the Call Of Duty games twice a month and put them on to Gran Turismo. Had they done that on the day GT4 came out (can't remember the date as we were on the Julian calendar back then), we would be on at least GT27 by now. And everyone would be happy.

If anyone needs help with their multi-national corporation, my services are available.

Comment

That's 23 more GT games that I would have bought and not played, and they'd all have been the same as the previous one. This way saves me cash.

A new GT always feels like an event.

Comment

Details of Red Bull's Adrian Newey designed X1 Prototype have been released today.

Engine: Gas turbine, 1483bhp at 15,000 RPM. 527lb ft at 12,000 RPM
                        Transmission: Continuously variable rear-wheel drive
                        Top Speed: 249mph
                        Weight: 545kg
                        Length: 4750mm
                        Width: 2180mm
                        Height: 980mm
                        Suzuka Lap Time: 1:11.540 (Sebastian Vettel?s 2009 F1 lap time of 1:30.833)
                        Special Features: Enclosed wheels with ?fan element? to increase low and medium-speed downforce

Comment

1483bhp? That's ridiculous. People on GT planet are saying it would take something like 0.6 seconds to get from 0-60mph.

Some More pictures:

It looks more like a Wipeout spaceship than a racing car.
                          Last edited by Malc; 19-10-2010, 10:49.

Comment

That's beautiful, and closely resembles a more refined and well made Capro T1.

I hope I'll be able to drive it in GT5 as if it's 100% completion like previous GT's, then I doubt I'll get nowhere near it!

Comment

Originally posted by Roddie View Post
                              Surely as of 2008, it had cost $60M? He didn't say the original GT cost that much, he said GT5 had.
                              Yeah, I'm a complete div. "Yamauchi later disclosing that Gran Turismo 5 had cost $60 million to develop"

I read it wrong. I read it over and over but somehow my brain just didn't see that 5. Every time. Must be getting old. Next day I can see it.

Comment

It's a very different type of car but it's F1 heritage is fairly obvious in the design.

It reminds me somewhat of the GT by Citro?n although I think the X1 Prototype is a far easier car to like as I needed a bit of time to get used to the GT by Citro?n.

Comment

Working...
                                X