No announcement yet.

Gran Turismo 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brats, I think you are being a little unfair to the history. GT had a groundbreaking structure and was far from dull. I would say that elements of the sequel have been a little frustrating - too many cars and too many prizes made it more into a collectathon. But i love the series and always enjoy them. I hope it gets an overhaul with this - in a way the extra time to model may make them less numbers happy cos there is little to encourage you to tune the cars and get the feel right in the older structures.

Yoshimax, does it really bother you that much that people think this game looks good? I know you will claim there is some vitriol aimed at any points against a PS3 game but frankly you can believe what you want. Initially the graphics are not that good and now they are so good that they must be CG. Yes, the trailer looks introesque - its a trailer and it is quite a cool little bit of visual flair for the trailer (imo), shorthand showcasing of the different aspects.
    It IS a trailer after all. I think its a good trailer and am genuinely impressed and so it gives me hope it will be a good game. The jockeying for position in the trailer was also nice to see.

Comment

The fact is that the original two GT games, at the time, were seen as stunning achievements on the 32bit PS1.

People seem to forget how impressive GT3 was back in 2001. I remember playing it on my first big widescreen tv, and being totally immersed in its beautiful racing world.

GT4 was never going to blow people away; the PS2 hardware just didn't have enough juice left. I feel that Polyphony felt this too, and didn't have the total commitment or enthusiasm for the game, as they would have with new hardware.

With all this in mind, I think Polyphony are probably really enjoying the power of the PS3, and are aiming to set a new benchmark for visuals and overall racing game standards.

There is no doubt the PS3 is a great piece of tech, and I have a strong belief that GT5 will make Forza2 look very weak. If it doesn't turn-out like that, I'll be very surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoshimax View Post
        The video looks like every CGi intro to GT ever made - the clue is the camera spinning round the car before the "footage".

Where can I get my hands on some of this **** you're all smoking ? Can somebody confirm that it has been confirmed that is 100% in-game realtime rendered footage ?
        Did you catch this movie on page 10 mate? That's the one with real in game graphics footage and the image of the dodgy 2D tree.

Edit: Going by your desciption you are on about that movie. Ignore me. But even looking at the car that spins at the start, you can tell it's a real time in game car model with effect thrown onto it for the purpose of the movie, because of the slightly blocky wing mirror.

It's funny how we all pick out the bad parts of graphics to work out if it's in game graphics or CG.

I've watch that movie loads now, and on the US PS network, looks fantastic.
        Last edited by MarioMark; 23-07-2007, 23:44.

Comment

Taken from here (Japanese)

Looks like it's the first realtime shot of the incar view.

Comment

Looking very good, it's a shame the photo isn't better quality though!

It confirms up to 16 cars in some races too...

Comment

Looks great. Bumper-cam for me though

Comment

wow, superb, not that I expected anything else!

Comment

Originally posted by saif View Post
                  Brats, I think you are being a little unfair to the history. GT had a groundbreaking structure and was far from dull. I would say that elements of the sequel have been a little frustrating - too many cars and too many prizes made it more into a collectathon. But i love the series and always enjoy them. I hope it gets an overhaul with this - in a way the extra time to model may make them less numbers happy cos there is little to encourage you to tune the cars and get the feel right in the older structures.
                  You're right, I am being a bit unfair. The original GT was amazing and I loved playing through the entire game and 100% it.

By GT3 though I was done with the structure. It was also at this time that I lost nearby friends to play multiplayer with so the lack of online has really hurt the series for me. Forza suffers in the same way (although it has made some changes to make this better) but it has the very strong online side to fall back on.

Comment

This is the problem for me though. The structure was groundbreaking, but it was groundbreaking back in 1998. It annoys me that the same problems that were present in the original 10 year old ps versions are still apparent 2 console generations on.

The 1st one was the best thing ever!

I just wish they would stop wasting their time with these crappy cash in prologue titles. I would much rather they devoted their time to the full GT5 and actually add some features people want!

Comment

Originally posted by MarioMark View Post
                      Did you catch this movie on page 10 mate? That's the one with real in game graphics footage and the image of the dodgy 2D tree. .
                      Yeah that one - I dinnae believe it but looking again at page 10 you're very sure of it - Why ? Where does it say it's 100% in-game footage rendered by the same engine GT5 Prologue will run on ?

@ neostar : If you go by the fantasy talk on here you'll be able to just walk up to the track and be a spectator in the crowd - how good'll that be !!!!

Comment

you'll be able to just walk up to the track and be a spectator in the crowd - how good'll that be !!!!
                        Seriously!?

*pre-orders*

In all honesty, I think thats what the game will look like, they've always release either in game or replay footage of it and the replay footage is miles away from the in game visuals so I wouldnt be surprised if it looks like this mate!

Comment

Yeah that one - I dinnae believe it but looking again at page 10 you're very sure of it - Why ? Where does it say it's 100% in-game footage rendered by the same engine GT5 Prologue will run on?
                          Yeah, they've never said it's officially in game graphics, but having said that when they show CG they never say it's CG, I think they just expect us to know. I was just assuming it was in game graphics because I'd have thought it would look a lot better than it does if it was CG.

I think the final game will end up looking like it does in that movie, but with the odd jagged edge here and there, as they always slap on anti aliasing on these promo movies to make it look a bit better, I noticed this with the early PGR 3 footage, it looked a lot more grainy on the final product.
                          Last edited by MarioMark; 24-07-2007, 14:41. Reason: Major typo's, probably loads more left too...

Comment

all this talking just about the graphics... I'm far more interested if they finally have a decent physics engine, better AI and more important, some decent online options for GT5

Originally posted by Brats View Post
                            You're right, I am being a bit unfair. The original GT was amazing and I loved playing through the entire game and 100% it.
                            By GT3 though I was done with the structure.
                            I have the same feeling, I totally loved GT1, I played it A LOT, but GT3 and 4 had just way to many VERY boring races (20 laps test course with a slow car...) and the endurance races were getting insane also.

Forza2 has IMO also too many races to do in single player, but still not as crazy as the ones in GT3 and GT4,
                            And in Forza2 the online play is so damn great, for me that's were the fun really starts. The online leaderboards are also a great thing.

I have nothing against GT, just IMO I think Forza took the lead as being the better console racing game.... still I'm quite curious to see what they can do with GT5, the inside cam looks very promesing so far.

Comment

Originally posted by TheForce View Post
                              all this talking just about the graphics... I'm far more interested if they finally have a decent physics engine, better AI and more important, some decent online options for GT5.
                              OK good point, GT's have always looked good. I'm also looking for better A.I and Online play, which is what we're already getting on Forza 2, so this game needs to deliver.

Comment

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Online Details (Famitsu)

The latest issue of Weekly Famitsu magazine features an interview with Gran Turismo series producer Kazunori Yamauchi. Here he talks about some of the new features for the upcoming Gran Turismo 5 Prologue.

• PlayStation Home icon on the top menu screen: within the Home universe, there will be something like a "Gran Turismo World" galaxy. You can then enter the top menu of the game from Home, or vice-versa by selecting the respective icons.
                                • My Page: When the game starts, a My Page screen will also appear. In the final version, Yamauchi hopes to include a friends list as well. There will be several background images for the My Page screen such as Tokyo and other cities, but will also include sceneries of both outdoors and indoors. There is also a weather forecast displayed so that other players will know which geographic location you are in and how the weather is there.
                                • Chat features: Prologue will include 2 online modes, one which includes the chat features and the other which excludes this feature.
                                • Number of cars and course selection: about 40 cars and 4 courses with 8 different layouts. There will also be new courses which was briefly shown in the E3 trailer.
                                • Prologue will not have cars and course downloadables.
                                • Prologue falls somewhere in between the GT and Arcade mode. Players can earn reward money from each race and purchase new cars. There will be normal cars and tuned cars, but players cannot tune their own cars in this version. The save data from Prologue (such as money earned and cars purchased) can be carried over to Gran Turismo 5.
                                • 16 cars during races for offline mode. This may drop to 12 cars in online mode.
                                • Game control features "Normal Mode" based on simulation engine and "Professional Mode" based on actual car behavior and physics.
                                • Yamauchi hopes to include B-spec mode but it is still not decided at this point.
                                Gran Turismo 5: Prologue is scheduled for an October release in Japan.

Comment

Working...
                                X