Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John Parry View Post
    Originally posted by charlesr View Post
    In that fiat 500 vid above (hilarious), there's a less funny bit where it take 50 seconds to load the track. Is it installing it at the same time?
    I did the install at the beginning so I've only seen it done that way but Eurogamer have run them side by side and they have a video showing how much of difference it makes. They have it down as 40 seconds difference but some people are saying that it gets quicker again the more you play it so maybe the hdd is being optimised as you play the game.

Certainly not noticed any issues with loading tracks but as I said I did the one off install.
    Had a quick go at loading the track in that video timing it on my iPhone and it took somewhere between 22 to 24 seconds depending on how accurate I was with pressing both at the same time.

We have a 500GB drive with about 200GB free at the moment, it has the same 8mb cache and 5400rpm of the original PS3 hdd so I'm not sure if that would make much of a difference.

Comment

My GT5 hasn't arrived yet from Shopto, despite preordering last Tuesday. I might get that £3 credit thing, won't I?

Not too keen on this one hour install but I'm one episode behind with Eastenders anyway so I can watch two episodes tomorrow while it installs. Assuming it arrives tomorrow. If it's Friday, then replace 'two' with 'three', and so on.

God knows why it should take an hour to install 10GB worth of data, unless it's a bunch of RAR files or something. MGS4 did 5GB in around 10-15 minutes I think.

Not long now, hopefully.

Has anyone tried the Top Gear track, or do you have to unlock it?

Comment

Originally posted by billy_dimashq View Post
        God knows why it should take an hour to install 10GB worth of data, unless it's a bunch of RAR files or something. MGS4 did 5GB in around 10-15 minutes I think.
        I don't get why it takes that long at all, installing a 360 game takes about 10 minutes tops I think, no matter how big it is.

Comment

Mine took about 1hr 10m to install the data. I've not loaded much up yet but when I do and the track/screen is loading it does flash up briefly to say it's installing data again so it's possible that once the player has been through a few tracks it'll speed up a bit on loading... unless it never ends installing...

Comment

Originally posted by billy_dimashq View Post
            That's the general consensus I think, there can't be any other explanation for it.

Comment

Maybe it's an in-joke about how long we've been waiting? What's an extra hour etc etc. It's like the time we discovered the 'true HD' console came with a composite cable.

Ahh, Sony. Such comedians

Comment

What's another 50 minutes after years worth of delays?

Comment

What annoys me far more than the install at the start is having to wait like 5 minutes on the main menu and also within other menus while it tries to get stuff off the internet.

Comment

Sony are basically saying 'yeah, our servers can't cope' and are recommending you pull your network cable if you're playing single player.

If you're trying to play Gran Turismo 5 at the moment and wondering why everything is stalling and running so slowly - even in your singleplayer games - you can thank "extreme online traffic congestion".

Comment

They didn't actually do any beta testing of this at all, did they? Surely if it accesses the internet at all times even when navigating menus, then that is a large part of the CAUSE of the congestion? Sounds really daft.

Comment

Seems to me that online just isn't finished. Probably why PD wanted to delay the game.

It has no leaderboards. Anyone in the lobby can start the race. No credits given. Not enough server capacity. Just unfinished and likely not tested at all. Here's hoping for a Spec III like update.
                        Last edited by saturn-gamer; 25-11-2010, 08:32.

Comment

due to these long game installs is there anyone lucky enough to be using a ssd in their ps3 as that would surely speed up things ?

Comment

Originally posted by wod View Post
                            due to these long game installs is there anyone lucky enough to be using a ssd in their ps3 as that would surely speed up things ?
                            Digital Foundry being Digital Foundry, have an article just for you... http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...ion-blog-entry

Comment

Originally posted by wod View Post
                              People who use SSDs in their PS3 say that write speeds are only very slightly reduced but the real benefits are when loading.

If you've installed everything the loading really doesn't take long anyway so there wouldn't be much with this in terms of speed. It can take anywhere between 15 to 25 seconds on the tracks I've noted so far which seems fine to me.

I haven't tried La Sarthe or the Nurburgring so I'm not sure about the larger tracks.

Kotaku did run a video comparison of loading times on the Nurburgring some time ago and GT5 was by far the slowest. Unfortunately they'd somehow forgotten that they'd slowed the GT5 video down until people reminded them, they then updated it with it actually being quicker than most of the direct competition.

Comment

Another patch on the way this weekend then...

An update for gargantuan simulation racer Gran Turismo 5 will be released on Saturday 27th November, creator Kazunori Y…

And am I reading this right, they have a game that requires regular contact with the servers in single player, yet they catered for only 500,000 connections at any one time?

That's shockingly short sighted...

Comment

Working...
                                X