No announcement yet.

Gran Turismo 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's kind of refreshing to see some steady scoring that isn't knee jerk 10's like there's been in the past. GT5 was alwasy going to be a good game but it's wildly apparent how badly Sony has handled its development. There sure as hell isn't 6 years worth of dev time apparent in it. It's doubtful, but hopefully, for GT6 they'll have a massive sort out at Polyphony

Comment

Originally posted by crazytaxinext View Post
      There sure as hell isn't 6 years worth of dev time apparent in it.
      Based on? That they choose to use their time to improve on some areas more than others doesn't automatically devalue the work they've done. It's a GT game, for better or worse, and ALL of the reviews basically state it does GT close to perfection.

EDIT: I should however point out that apparently there's no leaderboard for TT modes. 1/10.
      Last edited by Number45; 24-11-2010, 09:39.

Comment

I was expecting more 9's than 8's though...

Metacritic aggregates music, game, tv, and movie reviews from the leading critics. Only Metacritic.com uses METASCORES, which let you know at a glance how each item was reviewed.

Comment

Originally posted by Number45 View Post
          Based on? That they choose to use their time to improve on some areas more than others doesn't automatically devalue the work they've done. It's a GT game, for better or worse, and ALL of the reviews basically state it does GT close to perfection.

EDIT: I should however point out that apparently there's no leaderboard for TT modes. 1/10.
          The game does feel unfinished at times. I really think that Sony was being fed up at some point, and persuaded Yamauchi to just release it here and now.

I consider this to be an awesome game, but I think this wasn't Yamauchi's true vision. Compared to older GT's, this one feels less streamlined yet it got the longest development time. The package feels really sloppy and unbalanced at times.

Not only 800 cars are GT4 upgrades, but some tracks are clearly GT4 HD upgrades too. And the track total is a bit underwhelming to begin with. Some things look unfinished and rough, other things look brilliant. Some tracks have weather, others don't. Nascar, cool and all, but only for 12 cars. The game is trying a freaking lot, but nothing's really completely fleshed out. Thats legit criticism imo. After this time, a forty bucks demo, and everything, one might expect a better polished product and rightfully so.

Does it do GT to perfection? Depends on what you're looking for. Do you want GT to go along with time and thus offering a vast online multiplayer structure among other things then this package might disappoint you.
          Last edited by saturn-gamer; 24-11-2010, 10:05.

Comment

ZXE355 tells it how it is on Metacritic's user reviews:

Originally posted by ZXE355
            game pice of rash game noy have physics game is arcade few car damages if you have money do not buy this buy need fot speed forza3 not all cars have saloon graphics are worst online too The lack of modifications & premium models really ruined the replayability of this title for me. The fact that most of our favorite cars are either not in the game (2006+) or older standard models PD was too lazy to allow mods on. I mean we can't even change the wheels on standard cars. PD and Kaz clearly were in the bubble too long drinking the Koolaid to notice the genre passing them by. The game smelt of moth balls last release, unfortunately this one was no different. Sony fanboys are some of the worst and GT fanboys are the cream of the crop.. I imagine they are in disbelief right now even as they play this game for themselves. It's hard to believe how a game almost six years in production could feel rushed. The game is a 7.8-8.2 just out of respect for PD.. I however would like to give it a 6.. I chose a 7 as a happy medium
            I'm surprised he knew how to put the disc in the console quite frankly. All it needs are some 'innits' and 'bruvs'!

Comment

I like the sound of saloon graphics, wild west style.

Comment

Its badly written, but he does hit a few valid points imo... You could change wheels in GT4 afaik so yeah.. Also, where are the brake upgrades? Its always the second thing I upgrade
                Last edited by saturn-gamer; 24-11-2010, 10:25.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                  I like the sound of saloon graphics, wild west style.
                  Wickey-wa-wa-west I hope!

Comment

It's like saturn-gamer pointed out, the amount of content in GT5 that is taken from GT4 is quite telling. The photo shots popping up for the premium models are impressive but a lot of the detail they're going into with those models is unneccesary and if it's spending time on those details that's held it back in new content and release then that's bad news bears.

It's not a slight against the games quality, for me it's even less of an issue as I haven't put any serious time into GT since GT3 so most of the GT4 content will be new for me anyway, but 6 years development to achieve what GT5 has doesn't add up. It's Polyphony that clearly has internal issues rather than GT

Comment

So then, a quick question. GT5 with just the 200 premium cars - better, or worse?

I still feel that trivialising the amount of effort Polyphony have put into this game is unfair, particularly when a great deal of it goes to achieve one thing only - 'racing simulation' - that will only ever appear as a single bullet point but outweighs almost all others by an insane amount in terms of importance to the game.

Comment

For me, the fact I have a 1000 cars, which handle and sound almost like they should, along with GT5 racing physics, mostly beautiful HD graphics, lots of tracks, A-Spec and special events, the excellent drifting mode, all wrapped up in the CarPG GT style gameplay I love, is well worth my money!

I play with roof/bonnet camera view, so premium cars are hardly seen from here . They're nice to have though.

Well happy. G27 for xmas!
                        Last edited by hudson; 24-11-2010, 11:37.

Comment

So then, a quick question. GT5 with just the 200 premium cars - better, or worse?

I still feel that trivialising the amount of effort Polyphony have put into this game is unfair, particularly when a great deal of it goes to achieve one thing only - 'racing simulation' - that will only ever appear as a single bullet point but outweighs almost all others by an insane amount in terms of importance to the game.
                          Overall, likely neither 200 is still far more than any player is likely to use. I'd much rather they spent the dev time working on the handling model and the tracks rather than rendering cars for collectings sake. It's not as if the simulated experience they're working towards is in any way accurate to actually driving a car anyway no matter what set up your using, driving my car in game is phenomenally removed from driving it in real life.

It's nothing worth detracting from the final game itself though as far as opinion goes and like you say, it's commendable that the devs are willing to put so much effort into the game and are keen on what they're doing. It's still a bad way to run a business though and is allowing the likes of Forza to gain ground rapidly.

Comment

Nice one. Playing this with a heavily tuned NA RX7 atm and I'm loving it. :3

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                              Nice one. Playing this with a heavily tuned NA RX7 atm and I'm loving it. :3
                              NA RX7? Old model?

Anyway by the sounds of all the feedback I am glad I didn't get a PS3 for this. It seems the Polyphony, while clearly loving the genre and making a huge amount of effort, stretched themselves miles too far for this game. I cannot believe you cannot modify the brakes or change the wheels on standard cars, that is basic stuff from the PS1 days.

Comment

Well, naturally aspirated. As in, not turbo charged.

Comment

Working...
                                X