Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What has everyone been playing this week?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got Tiger Woods 08 the other day and have been playing that. I think it's the perfect gentle online experience. I have been a playing a round against my brother in the evenings and I am still blown away about the whole Live experience, having a chat about stuff and a bit of banter along the way.
    I also tried the phot face thing and it looks nowt like me so I will get our lass to take a decent photo of me tonight and will try again.

Comment

I used to love tiger woods 2004 on the xbox, but the ones after that I tried seemed to be missing something. I have been hankering to get back into a decent golf game. I may be tempted to get 09 if it seems decent.

Comment

Been playing Crisis Core. Nice little game although the "Infiltration" mission is a complete joke. How can you infiltrate somewhere when you can't move the camera to look around!?

Comment

Originally posted by Skull Commander View Post
          I used to love tiger woods 2004 on the xbox, but the ones after that I tried seemed to be missing something. I have been hankering to get back into a decent golf game. I may be tempted to get 09 if it seems decent.
          Not sure if you have the ability, but the TW games on the PC are light years ahead of the console versions (At least when I was playing them a few years back). So much more depth (And fewer gimmicks!) it's as if they're two different games. In fact I think they might be handled by totally different studios.

Comment

Bizzarely, I've been playing the original Metal Gear Solid this week because.... I've not really played them much *embarassed*.

Completed the original now though. Opted for the PC version, because it runs at 60fps (the PS1 version is 30fps even on emu). Onto MGS2 next.

Comment

I don't have a gaming pc, so thats unfortunatly not an option for me. I don't know what it was about 04, but it just seemed right.

Comment

Originally posted by Skull Commander View Post
                I have the wii version but got this for xbox live. Before that the last one I had was 03 for the gamecube. The series has moved on loads since then, being able to change the angle of the club for extra loft, the putting is a lot harder and the analogue swing is less forgiving. Great game.

Comment

I've just started Chase The Express for the first time; one of my 25+ still unplayed PS(One) games.

It's not looking very good though - a standard anti-terrorist action/adventure set on a train but lumbered with a sub PS(One) RE style graphics engine, controls, menu and combat system. The voice acting and script are at least as good too

Worst thing though is that in replacing zombies/dinos with terrorists they haven't really thought the gameplay out at all well. They were clearly trying for a realistic action thriller type thing yet they expected to get away with just a crude enemy type substitution.

It just doesn't work.

I'll stick with it a bit longer and see if it hooks me but I've played any number of games I know are far better than this mediocre stuff. From the same era and similar school of thought the 3 Syphon Filters are good examples which just about hold up to scrutiny even now.

Age is no excuse for weak gameplay so, rare as it is for me to do this, I can see my almost pristine Chase The Express being sold on unfinished. Shame really after sitting factory sealed in my collection for so many years.
                  Last edited by fallenangle; 29-07-2008, 10:25.

Comment

STILL playing a bit of Minna no Golf 5. That is all so far this week and most likely will be until my NTSC-J 360 turns up, at which point I'll be trying out Love FOOTBALL and Smash Court 3.

Comment

Got myself a PS3 at last (free from the Carphone Warehouse natch), so have been playing Burnout Paradise.

It is soo eye-bleedingly fast, that's it's quite confusing at first and the view point is a tad too low to pick out certain features but I will get used to it I'm sure.

It's my first high-def console experience and it's pretty whizzy graphically, in fact the whole PS3 experience is dazzling. The XMB, the store, all of it.

Well impressed I have to say. I'm connected to the kitchen telly (1080i) at the moment, but once I finish XBOX Vice City (should be tonight as I'm on the last mission), the PS3 is moving into the lounge for some 40" 1080p goodness and full surround

Comment

Originally posted by djjimbob View Post
                        Got myself a PS3 at last (free from the Carphone Warehouse natch), so have been playing Burnout Paradise.

It is soo eye-bleedingly fast, that's it's quite confusing at first and the view point is a tad too low to pick out certain features but I will get used to it I'm sure.

the PS3 is moving into the lounge for some 40" 1080p goodness and full surround
                        Once you get used to it and know your way around the city, you'll find all the jumps, boards and stuffs that make chaining together over a 15X multiplier on Stunt Run a real rush.

Awesome game and one I must have put over 90+ hours into on both PS3 and 360.

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
                          I've just started Chase The Express for the first time; one of my 25+ still unplayed PS(One) games.

It's not looking very good though - a standard anti-terrorist action/adventure set on a train but lumbered with a sub PS(One) RE style graphics engine, controls, menu and combat system. The voice acting and script are at least as good too

Worst thing though is that in replacing zombies/dinos with terrorists they haven't really thought the gameplay out at all well. They were clearly trying for a realistic action thriller type thing yet they expected to get away with just a crude enemy type substitution.

It just doesn't work.

I'll stick with it a bit longer and see if it hooks me but I've played any number of games I know are far better than this mediocre stuff. From the same era and similar school of thought the 3 Syphon Filters are good examples which just about hold up to scrutiny even now.

Age is no excuse for weak gameplay so, rare as it is for me to do this, I can see my almost pristine Chase The Express being sold on unfinished. Shame really after sitting factory sealed in my collection for so many years.
                          You're better off saving your precious time. It doesn't get any better. I had CTE back in 2000 and it was wack even then (though I tried really hard to like it). A lot of those PS1 Resi-type games really show their age these days - Galerians, Chaos Break, even Dino Crisis. Best off revisiting Dino Crisis 2 - a genius game, still totally addictive.

Anyway, I'm playing Neo Contra on PS2 and loving it. It feels very short, and I wouldn't put it in the 'classic' category that Contra 3 occupies, but I much prefer it to Shattered Soldier because that game is basically all about learning the levels, puzzle-style, but this has more leeway for error so is much less stressful to play. It plays more like a sci-fi version of Mercs, and everything is super-slick, detailed and FUN, with some brilliantly animated bosses and enemies. I'll probably clock it tonight and never touch it again, but it's massively entertaining stuff, with lots of class.

Comment

I loved Dino Crisis principally because the game was puzzle heavy and anyway I've always preferred dinos to zombies. But I agree about Dino Crisis 2, it took the RE type controls and produced a more action orientated game which actually worked. It had a particularly good underwater section I recall.

Disappointed about your comments on Gallerians - that too is sitting in my collection awaiting play. I was hoping it would be a sort of early Psi-Ops type under-rated gem. But the reviews were luke warm even back then.

Chaos Break - heavens, I never expected to find anyone here who'd even heard of it let alone played the thing. I did unfortunately - it had flashes of cleverness (some of the puzzles were very good). But the rest was chronically unoriginal and/or badly done. If you failed a particular task halfway through the game, a big jump in the general difficulty, the game literally petered out to one, of I suspect, several endings. Traded it in very quickly.
                            Last edited by fallenangle; 29-07-2008, 20:30.

Comment

Been playing Portal (I'm utterly stumped on room 18) and starting from scratch with Half-Life 2. I also realised today that I have FFT on the PSP that I've not even started, so decided to start that... I'm lost even before the end of the ridiculously in-depth tutorial.

Comment

Playing through Ocarina of Time, trying to get 100%. Just finished Shadow Temple, need 4 more heart pieces, and about 50 skulltula tokens.

Comment

Working...
                                X