Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My mother-in-law got a Wii ages ago. I was convinced she'd never use it. Found out this weekend that she uses it every day for yoga and stuff on the WiiFit....

If the pad has a decent resolution (x768?) and it has a decent browser, then I can see people buying it as a cheap alternative to the iPad.

Comment

any info on the HD capabilities, namely screen resolution of gamepad and console?

Comment

Pikmin is 720p. Output supported up to 1080p for hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
          Pikmin is 720p. Output supported up to 1080p for hardware.
          Really? That's quite a disappointment really considering the game is hardly going to be pushing the machine. Was hoping at least some of the games would run 1080p natively. Oh well still better than 480p crapovision I guess.

Comment

I expect as the Wii U power wise is on par with the PS3 & 360 that most games will be 720p or there abouts. Full 1080p natively will be very rare.

Comment

Originally posted by originalbadboy View Post
              Really? That's quite a disappointment really considering the game is hardly going to be pushing the machine.
              Can I ask how you can make this statement? What do you know of the poly-count or texture memory usage? And unlike most other games, the Pikmin series isn't streaming graphics on the fly. Everything in the level - all enemies, objects, Pikmin - is all rendered at the same time. That's how you can actually jump from one end of the map to another in an instant, because everything is always loaded. Unlike more visually "extreme" games where the game has smaller, more concise areas to render at any given time.

Personally though, I'm satisfied with 720p at the visual fidelity displayed in the trailers, especially as all the big console titles these days run at sub-hd resolutions. So this should actually scale better to 1080 than most games. Knowing Nintendo, I also assume the game also runs at a rock solid 60fps without framedrops.

Comment

Originally posted by originalbadboy View Post
                I am kinda hoping that there will be an external HDD option, so you can load the games from there. There is internal flash in the WiiU but as yet nobody knows how much it will be.

Again complete lack of information from Nintendo is not helping.
                4 USB2.0 ports and external mass storage support was confirmed when Nintendo released these specs the other day: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/...12/120606.html
                Which is also where Andriasang got their info from.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex WS View Post
                  Can I ask how you can make this statement? What do you know of the poly-count or texture memory usage?.
                  Easy , it was just a general musing on whether games will run at 1080p ....

Simply put generally the first game out on a system (or one of the first games) doesn't usually push the system to the limits in any way shape or form. Given that I was just wondering what res it was running in. 720p is perfectly acceptable given the Wii's meager 480p.

Originally posted by Kryss View Post
                  4 USB2.0 ports and external mass storage support was confirmed when Nintendo released these specs the other day: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/...12/120606.html
                  Which is also where Andriasang got their info from.
                  Thanks, I missed that ... We still don't know whether games can be loaded from HDD though.

Comment

Preorder now at shopto

Comment

Originally posted by koopatroopa90 View Post
                      Preorder now at shopto
                      ?280 ... I assume that's a place holder or you get at least a game with that! Tempting though just in case it gets sold out (unlikely).

Will wait for a firm release date first .. If Ninty stitch up the EU again then its a no sale from me

Comment

Heh yeah its just plucked from the sky I think - hence why their "pre order price promise" doesn't apply, and kind of why I put a winky face!

Perhaps I'm seeing too much into this but they don't have Nintendo Land up for preorder separately which might well mean it is a bundled title?

Comment

ShopTo estimates the Wii U price will be £280 and games will cost £40. Product pages for the black Wii U and the white …

Nintendo says fans will be 'pleasantly surprised' by the value of the system. They cite the same approach they used to Wii. Launching at a mid-range price that holds long term rather than launching at a high price tag and progressively price dropping. I'm going to guesstimate ?229.99

Comment

I kind of assumed Nintendo Land would be bundled in with the console like Wii Sports was with the original Wii.
                            Doubt it will be as appealing to the casual crowd as much as Sports was mind, that game was simplicity at its best and these party games require a bit more attention.

Comment

Originally posted by crazytaxinext View Post
                              http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...u-price-at-280

Nintendo says fans will be 'pleasantly surprised' by the value of the system. They cite the same approach they used to Wii. Launching at a mid-range price that holds long term rather than launching at a high price tag and progressively price dropping. I'm going to guesstimate ?229.99
                              Maybe we should do a 'whats the price gonig to be' compo ...

Comment

Sains have it on their website with a release date of 26th Oct...

I recon early Dec like the Wii is more likely personally.

Edit: In fact, Amazon.co.uk have it down for a December 2012 release.

Comment

Working...
                                X