Nintendo Switch 2: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nintendo Switch 2: Thread 01

The original thread for the Switch launched a full three years before the system would, such was the long trail of speculation that overrode much of the WiiU's existence. This time though I've held off a long time despite regular news updates largely because of two things. The first was that Nintendo was clearly not going to move on a successor anywhere near as fast as they did last time and the second was that the entire Switch Pro debacle showcased the scale of BS that surrounds unconfirmed Nintendo hardware.

It is, however, 2023. The Switch is weeks away now from entering its seventh year on the market and whilst its a lock that it will continue into its eighth as well, we have undoubtedly entered the period where the reality of at least fairly concrete news on a new successor system is practically inevitable.

Said to be more of an opinion piece but this Nikkei report leans to Nintendo Switch 2, or whatever its final name is, arriving in Late 2024.

What are your thoughts on the changes you would like to see made for Nintendo's eighth generation console and on the games that should be there in the launch window?

Oh no NI has fallen to the Switch Pro plague.

Comment

Well, it says ‘at the earliest’ in late 2024 and that ‘the industry expects’. So it’s far from concrete although I’d agree with the general sentiment. Feels like it won’t be before then and could still be 2025. Depends how many Switches they keep moving.

Comment

Yep, we're reaching the threshold where Game Boy aside, Nintendo even replaced their hugely successful handhelds so firm details on the system will definitely start emerging as the year goes on.

I'll be glad to see Tears of the Kingdom pass by just to not see the constant online hand wringing over it being a Switch Pro/Switch 2 release finally end as though a game based on a WiiU engine was ever in dire need of another more powerful system to play well.

I know Mario is well overdue again but in terms of software the one I would want to see at launch or at least very early on is the most overdue one - Mario Kart 9

Comment

In answer to the question posed in the OP...

Nonny recently posted about a Chinese handheld that incorporates MMWave technology in an included HDMI dongle, enabling the lagless streaming of games from a nearby PC.

I do think it's plausible that the Switch 2 could offer a version of this in reverse using the same technology, with the Switch 2 including a small puck that plugs into the TV's HDMI and is powered by a USB-C port, which the handheld then wirelessly streams games to.

It would be an interesting and obvious point of differentiation with the current hardware.

In terms of games, Mario, and Mario Kart. These are the games I'm really keen to see. I would love to see Mario Kart have a greatly expanded online offering and for it to become a live ongoing service. There is such a huge opportunity for that.

Comment

Whatever they do Nintendo have their work cut out following up something like the Switch. I'm sure they've learned some important lessons with the previous gens so the likelihood of getting another Wii-U is pretty slim. But as a Switch owner I still don't feel there's any desperate need for a replacement. I can't be the only one. But in a new system (and assuming the format will remain the same) I'd like them to put the same amount of thought into the docked/tv experience as they did with the OLED/portable experience. A new Super Mario Odyssey game in full 4K HDR would be a proper treat for the eyes. But that's a given in whatever they do next anyway ... so that's pretty boring. Just keep doing what you're doing I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
              I would love to see Mario Kart have a greatly expanded online offering and for it to become a live ongoing service. There is such a huge opportunity for that.
              Erm. No thanks. I'm hard pressed to think of anything worse.

We already have F2P Mario Kart. It's called Mario Kart Tour. People who want this can have that. I really don't want to see Nintendo expand this concept to the mainline series on flagship hardware.

Nintendo...PLEASE just do what should've been done at the very first time of asking in 2017.

Please. Just. Make. Mario. Kart. 9.

Comment

Doesn't need to be free to play to be a live service (although I'd argue there are plenty of very good free to play games - look at Fortnite, the stuff they do with that game is incredible).

The core gameplay of Mario Kart 8 is brilliant, but the fact is that unless you have people to play with regularly IRL, the multiplayer is sadly dull. I used to enjoy it back in 2014 on the WiiU, but nearly a decade later and expectations for what an online game should deliver have shifted significantly. Even in 2014 the MK8 online functionality felt lacklustre, to be honest.

Even the bare minimum would massively uplift it - playlists of different race types with different rules that are updated weekly, daily challenges, an ongoing flow of new unlockables added, quarterly updates with new tracks and mode variants.

I'd love to have a reason to play MK weekly, or even daily. It'd be so much fun.

Out of interest - when you say 'Just make Mario Kart 9', would you prefer them to keep the online functionality as it is now?

Comment

I think they need to at least acknowledge new hardware this year and dare I dream the impossible by having it bw compatible . Saying that I’m still happy with Switch but it’s time for a refresh

Comment

Its nintendo can we trust them not too **** it up and call it the "Nintendo Switch-UP" or some other stupid name and confuse the **** out of the target audience.

They need to call it The Nintendo switch 2, Use the same cartridges with Bc comaptiblity and make it so the controllers are more reliable. Just beefing it up the current tech so it can match the current gen just at a lower resolution is all they really need to do and all most people are asking for. You don't need 4k on a screen that small. They could if they wanted offer a choice of docks a standard one to output games at 1080p for those who don't care about the tv use or are happy with 1080p. But also offer a power dock that houses a complimentary chip set to output its games at higher resolutions on your tv, almost like what we got with dual graphic card set ups. They have shown that two versions of the same system can live happily together in the switch and the switch lite, so i cant see why they couldn't do this.

Comment

With more and more games ballooning in size I wonder whether Nintendo will either do something slightly different regarding the cartridges this time out or, more likely, use the same cartridges and basically leave it to affected third party's to simply not bring their games to the system

Also - abandon the flat design of the Joycons - a complete redesign that is much more robust and comfortable in the hands
                      Last edited by Neon Ignition; 19-01-2023, 14:12.

Comment

I agree. I'd like to see radically redesigned Joycons. The concept is genius but they're finicky little bastards to actually use.

Originally posted by Neon Ignition
                        With more and more games ballooning in size I wonder whether Nintendo will either do something slightly different regarding the cartridges this time out or, more likely, use the same cartridges and basically leave it to affected third party's to simply not bring their games to the system

1000% it'll be the latter and larger games will offer that BS where you have to download most of it.

Comment

For any game that pulls that crap I avoid even if it was dirt cheap, no excuse at all. It’s like buying a book and the publisher saying they couldn’t print the last 50 pages as it was too big so you have to download and print them off yourself. It’s astounding the amount of crap they can get away with in gaming just glad boxes are clearly marked when they pull that.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                            I do think it's plausible that the Switch 2 could offer a version of this in reverse using the same technology, with the Switch 2 including a small puck that plugs into the TV's HDMI and is powered by a USB-C port, which the handheld then wirelessly streams games to.
                            That sounds like a really boring unNintendo way of doing things. Plus, what if you want to charge it at the same time? Also, doesn't the Switch OC itself when docked to push the higher resolutions?

I can't see a standalone handheld being able to stream PS4 Pro levels of power with a HDMI dongle, which is the absolute bare minimum a system coming out in 2024/2025 (and having to last for six years at the least) is going to need.

The existing concept is perfect. I just want some kind of super dock. Or even three options if they could nail the messaging: A 100% portable low-res unit (like the Switch Lite), a standard hybrid portable that OCs when docked (Switch/OLED), and maybe a non-portable standard console without a screen, but comes with a Pro Controller as standard (it could be tiny, and cheap).

Comment

I don't agree that it's necessarily boring or un-Nintendo at all. I think it could be really cool being able to zap your game instantly onto the TV. You could even link multiple units for Four Swords type games, or use a TV+Switch screen setup for Mario Chase type multiplayer. There would be a lot of fun gameplay possibilities beyond the simple streaming factor.

As for charging, well, if you need to charge, you plug it in. Either you hold it and use it while it's plugged in, or you can put it off to one side and use the JoyCons or a Pro pad wirelessly - which is exactly the same system we have now.

As to the technical possibilities, I'm no expert. But the MMwave HDMI dongles I've seen are very small, so it seems logical to me that this could be sufficiently miniaturised in a couple of years to fit inside the body of a Switch. But as I say, I'm no expert on that side of things, so I'm just supposing.

I actually think the idea of a dock that makes it more powerful is a much more un-Nintendo idea, since it doesn't really add to the fun and interactivity but simply beefs up the specs - something which we can already see many Switch buyers aren't too bothered about, undeterred as they are by shelling out £300 for such dated hardware.

Paying more to increase framerate and resolution already proved less than overwhelmingly popular with even the more 'core gaming' PS/Xbox audience with the One X and PS4 Pro, and I think it's even less likely to resonate with the majority of Switch buyers.
                              Last edited by wakka; 19-01-2023, 19:47.

Comment

Working...
                              X