Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post everytime you get ANYTHING retro. We want to know (^v^)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm gonna be running Saturn/PlayStation/Mega Drive into it. But yeah, I'm just being silly. I've considered one of those but straight RGB will do me for now until I can either find a nice 15khz monitor (Philips CM8833), a nice Trinitron or a PVM near me.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
      Ha! There's not much in it, not enough to fath about with old CRTs.

WOT NO SCANLINES?

Seriously though, although VGA upscalers and scanline generators are bloody fantastic, you still cannot beat the genuine CRT look.

Comment

That's what I'm talking about.

Comment

I reallly really really love my scaler with scanlines. But when I'm testing something out upstairs in the spare room with a portable CRT, it does still look so much better. wish I never had to part with the 28" 4.3 CRT. I think I miss the curve of the tube also (don't some emulators try to do this now also?)

Comment

I must admit, I'm not a fan of curvature on CRTs at all, we forget that it was something that manufacturers were constantly trying to reduce. Hence, CRTs became flatter as we entered the 80s, and then 90s.

Scanlines however, were accepted as unavoidable, hence game developers utilised them with in-game special effects, effects that tend to look odd on LCDs without using scanline generators.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33 View Post
              I must admit, I'm not a fan of curvature on CRTs at all, we forget that it was something that manufacturers were constantly trying to reduce. Hence, CRTs became flatter as we entered the 80s, and then 90s.

Scanlines however, were accepted as unavoidable, hence game developers utilised them with in-game special effects, effects that tend to look odd on LCDs without using scanline generators.

Comment

Originally posted by Duddyroar View Post
                WOT NO SCANLINES?

Seriously though, although VGA upscalers and scanline generators are bloody fantastic, you still cannot beat the genuine CRT look.

Dude, are those your underpants on the radiator?

Comment

Scanlines are something that I never really liked so I don't miss them

Comment

Originally posted by tokyochojin View Post
                    haha

Comment

Originally posted by tokyochojin View Post
                      They're my 3yr old son's vests! Not guilty!

My shreddies are well out of shot...

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33 View Post
                        Can you give an example?

Comment

Originally posted by monomaniacpat View Post
                          Can you give an example?
                          I don't think they intentionally used effects, the fact of the matter is that low-resolution graphics (where you can pick out individual pixels) tend to look better when scanlines are applied.

It's just one of those things, like toast always falling butter-side down and night following day.

Comment

Baffles me that someone can not like CRT screens.

The ONLY thing I like about LCDs is the geometry control.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                              Baffles me that someone can not like CRT screens.

The ONLY thing I like about LCDs is the geometry control.
                              True, dat.

Comment

Where can I get a CM8833. ;_;

Comment

Working...
                                X