No announcement yet.

New Series of Doctor Who

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd also really hope to see the introduction of a new companion in the Christmas episode, as I'm really sick of Amy. Rory I quite enjoy, but presumably he's not going to appear without Amy. Like a lot of people, my vote would go to Craig for new companion, but I guess he has a baby now, so probably not. Do we need to use spoiler tags? It's a thread for discussing the new series, so pretty much every single post will need to have tags in it, which seems ridiculous. My philosophy is if you're afraid of spoilers, and you go into a thread discussing an episode you haven't seen, you're a blockhead, and other people shouldn't have to be disadvantaged catering for you.

Comment

I enjoyed it. Wrapped things up nicely. I guessed the

Tesselecta trick right from the "previously" bit at the start though.

That was unusually obvious for Moffat.

My favourite moment was

Amy finally showing some anger at missing out on her baby growing up.

My biggest gripe with this series was

Amy and Rory brushing off losing their baby and settling for her being a school friend

Comment

Agree 100% with that. I had no idea that Let's Kill Hitler was intended to have wrapped that up for good, and their swift return to normality slightly ruined the next few episodes for me.

Comment

I put spoiler tags in at first but then didn't but I wouldn't dare come into this thread if I hadn't seen it!

I'd completely forgotten everything that happened in Let's Kill Hitler so luckily it was still available to watch again last night, I'd forgotten everything about River growing up with Amy and Rory and the Tesselecta and what they do so that answered some questions I had.

I like Amy, she is 2nd to Donna for me since 2005. Rory was meh and had to grow on me a bit but is still the sort of guy I wonder why girls settle for. I'd HATE Craig to be the next companion but I don't like Cordon much. I'm interested in seeing how/when the Doctor comes back into Amy and Rory's lives, the Christmas ep will probably be a random throw away one not featuring them much. I'd also like to see some less "The Doctor is massive and everyone knows who he is" episodes with him more in the shadows.

Comment

Originally posted by stainboy View Post
            Rory was meh and had to grow on me a bit but is still the sort of guy I wonder why girls settle for.
            What an odd statement.

Anyway I thought it was excellent. Exciting enough for sci fi fans and casual viewers alike. Would look to see the series take a more understated tone too. Too much focus has been put on friendships and humans this series. Would like to see more alien style adventures with some real danger.

Comment

I liked the Van Gogh episode from last year and would like more of that, but only if a. they don't feel the need to add some alien bull**** just to sci-fi it up a notch (which drags Vincent and the Doctor down if you ask me), and b. they have a writer as good as Richard Curtis handle it. I didn't enjoy the Charles Dickens episode from series one at all (although I did love his cameo last night).

Also, more episodes set in mundane Earth locations would be fantastic. I think The Lodger is my favourite Matt Smith episode. When he was working in telesales or whatever, I was cracking up. "Can you hold, I have to eat a biscuit". I think Matt Smith really shines in those scenarios.

Comment

Hmmm, a reminder of VG and Lodger makes me remember how much I liked those two. That said I also liked episodes like The Beast Below, much less focus on people and more in tension. Understated and Alien danger were perhaps the wrong choices in a sentence!

Comment

Originally posted by StuM82 View Post
                  Are people not going to use spoiler tags in this thread for people who haven't seen it yet? Bit late now I suppose.

The fake death didn't make sense, how was the 'regeneration' before he was shot a second time supposed to have happened given the explanation of what it was?

I'd like to see some darker, quieter, under the radar type adventures that you suggest in the next series, noobish.

The Tesselecta can impersonate someone by changing its outside structure to match, as seen with Amy in "Let's Kill Hitler", and obviously cloning the Doctor. Who is to say that it couldn't also faux pretend to regenerate as well? And given the real Doctor was aboard, there would be none of the lapses that the fake Amy had that the Doctor spotted that she wasn't real.

Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                    What an odd statement.
                    Rory's fairly dull and boring and Amy isn't, she's basicly settled for the boy she grew up with. That kind of coupling irritates me.

Comment

Rory's fairly dull and boring and Amy isn't, she's basicly settled for the boy she grew up with. That kind of coupling irritates me.
                      There is a wonderful piece of dialogue from Amy in episode 10, 'The Girl Who Waited', that addresses this. It's nice to think personality really is what counts. Or maybe that's an unrealistically romantic view.

Anyway, enjoyed this series a lot. I avoided all discussions online, didn't watch the trailers and experienced the whole thing spoiler-free, and it was truly fab. Not sure about splitting the series in two: both halves seemed to zoom by before I could get used to having Doctor Who back, but then there's always the DVD set to take my time with.

The stuff the blue guy said about the fall of the Eleventh sounds like Matt Smith might be leaving us next series. It'll be a shame if he does. He's just so watchable and there's loads more he could do with the role. He and Steven Moffat totally saved the series, for me. I wish they'd both stick around forever.

Comment

Of course it is madness to think that someone could love someone they are best friends with.

Comment

Rory isn't the fieriest of characters but he's likeable, funny and I like how he does epically brave stuff when Amy's life is in danger. Amy on the other hand is dull as hell.

Overall I liked it though it was a (perhaps unavoidable) return to the messy structure of the opening episodes. The 'get out' clause was really poor as was the pretty wasted merged timeline stuff. The reveal of the question was pretty rubbish too, it creates another strand that is sure to lead Series 7 to be as unnecessarily baggaged as S5 and S6 have been and will once again disappoint as whatever the outcome the answer will never be revealed to the viewers as it would ruin much of the mystery and appeal of the character. Like last years episode, it was decent overall but because Moffat tries to cram too much the pacing is always off and the emotional punches miss. He’s a brilliant writer but I don’t think finale’s are his thing. Overall it was alright but sits as average out of this years run. A shame next years scheduling is a mess again as well.

Comment

I really enjoyed it, far better than the mid-series ep which I hated. Reveal didn't feel like a cop-out since in the end the fixed events happened as they were suppose too. Last years was better, but that's going to be hard to beat.

That library episode is even better now you know all about River Song.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                              Of course it is madness to think that someone could love someone they are best friends with.
                              The previous regen of River was her best friend, Rory was a kid she just kinda got stuck with.

To stay on topic I better mention the show itself, I liked the end, unless I've not noticed it you don't often hear people actually say "Doctor Who". At first I didn't like that this series was in 2 halves but the gap between seemed to fly by. I'm glad it's a UK show so can actually have a plan and leave clues during the episodes, imagine a made up as it went along 22 episode US version. I love some US shows but the thought of that is ew.

Comment

The previous regen of River was her best friend, Rory was a kid she just kinda got stuck with.
                                They still became best friends. The girl even nodded to Rory but Amy thought he was gay. Then she noticed she had feelings for him.
                                It is not relevant that Rory is not a muscle man or whatever crazy idea you have about who people should 'settle' for.

Comment

Working...
                                X