No announcement yet.

Total Recall (remake)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

as much as we'd like it to remain, the violence and swearing doesnt really add or take anything to the plot other than show the effects of being on MArs without oxygen (Im referring to the eye popping scene)

This, DH5 and T5 just shouldnt have got the green light tbh . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by bash View Post
      the violence and swearing doesnt really add or take anything to the plot other than show the effects of being on MArs without oxygen (Im referring to the eye popping scene).
      I'm sorry but that is the biggest load of bollucks ever.

Have you forgotten the scene where Quaid takes out his work buddy and co? Or where he uses innocent citizens as human shields against Uzi-wielding bad-guys?

Comment

You've not explained how its "the biggest load of bollucks ever" What have I forgotten exactly about those scenes that changes things?

The plot doesn't need to be Quaid to be overly violent. He could have taken his work buddy down James Bond stealth Stylee. It doesnt change the plot if he cracks the guy in the neck or chucks a metal pole in someone else's face.

Dont get me wrong, I love all that stuff about the original but the method of killing or incidents are hardly mentioned in the dialog nor do they effect the outcome of the story.

Comment

Bash - Depends on whether we are treating Quaid as the labourer he was or the spy of the recall "dream". Being a construction worker he is more likely to be less stealthy and get things done more messily.
          Besides with the original the gore was always going to happen with Verhoeven directing, look at his record: Total Recall, Robocop, Starship Troopers & Hollow Man. All great stuff!
          Kind of tricky to explain but anyway I like how in the original movie it isn't spelled out for you whether it was all real or not...I can see them making it more obvious for the audience of today.

Comment

I agree, i think they will turn this film into a no brainer, rather then go the other way and make it a thinking mans film.
            I don't have high hopes for this film really. I think you could do a much better version of the story then the Arnold version...however, i don't think they will. I'm tasting distinct flavors of poo-poo with this.

Comment

Fader, dont get me wrong, I LOVE the original (In fact I love all Paul Verhoevens sci fi ****!) and will always watch TR when it comes on TV plus own the DVD and Blu ray. My point was that the violence doesnt ADD or NEEDED in order for the plot to continue.

Comment

The fact that Total Recall is violent is part of what makes it the film it is, if it wasnt violent then it wouldnt be the same film, so I disagree that its not needed. I also think that it adds to the plot, the film is set in a very violent world, that is a huge part of the plot.

Arnie already made a PG 13 version of Total Recall, it was called The 6th day, and it was terrible.

Comment

still cant find the full uncut one anywhere - tried and tried, apparently it was released in OZ - but the Australian HD-DVD was cut

absolutely love this film - just amazing

just give me the original with beckinsale, Biel and Stone from around the same time

would be nice to see some of the original cast doing cameo's or something
                  Last edited by buster_broon; 04-08-2011, 18:28.

Comment

I was excited about this at first, but then I heard two words: 'Colin Farrell'.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
                      The fact that Total Recall is violent is part of what makes it the film it is, if it wasnt violent then it wouldnt be the same film, so I disagree that its not needed. I also think that it adds to the plot, the film is set in a very violent world, that is a huge part of the plot.

Arnie already made a PG 13 version of Total Recall, it was called The 6th day, and it was terrible.
                      If you watched an cut version of Total Recall with amazing edits that cover up the violence so well that you couldn't tell the difference, are you telling me you still wouldn't enjoy that movie?

For me the story was very well told but the violence was just an added bonus, typical of the time where cinema goers expected this sort of thing from their summer blockbuster.

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon View Post
                        still cant find the full uncut one anywhere - tried and tried, apparently it was released in OZ - but the Australian HD-DVD was cut

absolutely love this film - just amazing

just give me the original with beckinsale, Biel and Stone from around the same time

would be nice to see some of the original cast doing cameo's or something

Are any of the original Pal or NTSC dvd releases uncut? I had no idea about any cuts. Please help on this question. Was the original UK release always cut?

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
                          Are any of the original Pal or NTSC dvd releases uncut? I had no idea about any cuts. Please help on this question. Was the original UK release always cut?
                          I have a UK dvd, think its the second release of the film which was by Momentum, and its not cut. But I actualy think the original version was uncut as well, it was just a very poor dvd.

Originally posted by bash View Post
                          If you watched an cut version of Total Recall with amazing edits that cover up the violence so well that you couldn't tell the difference, are you telling me you still wouldn't enjoy that movie?

For me the story was very well told but the violence was just an added bonus, typical of the time where cinema goers expected this sort of thing from their summer blockbuster.
                          i wouldnt enjoy it half as much no. Total Recall is a violent film, like I said part of what makes it the film it is, is the violence. If all the violence was removed with "amazing edits" the story probabaly wouldnt make much sense becuase Im not sure how you cover up violence exactly without not showing it, and if you didnt show it then you wouldnt know what the hell was going on.

If they did somehow manage to do it and the film still made sense, it would still be lacking, simply becuase the impact of half the film would be dulled.

On top of that the violence in Total Recall is just alot of fun, so not having it would make the film less enjoyable by default anyway.
                          Last edited by rmoxon; 07-08-2011, 09:47.

Comment

There is just more violence in a couple of scenes if that was possible, without checking on the net it involves the man being used as a human shield and the underground scene where quad meets his co workers

I thought the only uncut version of it on DVD was the Australian release

Edit
                            Seems the Finnish version might also be good but it also seems there was a full version that the director cut before release so the only way to see it all would be a directors cut but I'm sure I saw a version years ago where the parking lot was more brutal

Film was initially given an X-rating by the MPAA. The following are the scenes that were trimmed to receive a R-rating:
                            Benny's death is optically cropped to remove the exiting drill erupting from his stomach.
                            The innocent bystander used as a shield was bloodier before trimming.
                            The stabbing of Helm in the bar had the bowie knife slicing up his stomach. Stills of this were actually featured in Fangoria magazine at the time of the film's release.
                            Several shots of the scientists being killed by Quaid after he breaks free from the implant-machine were shortened.
                            The scene of Richter's arms being severed was shortened.
                            Last edited by buster_broon; 07-08-2011, 10:28.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post

Exactly. It's not even an argument.

Comment

The 6th Day is one of the few Arnie movies I've not seen. Maybe one day....

Comment

Working...
                                X