Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Films Have You Watched This Week - The Sequel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watched Wall Street last night. Charlie Sheen's acting is funny because he's the exact same as he is on Hot Shots but it's still a great movie.

Comment

Watched a strange selection today

The Flight of the Navigator
      Childhood favourite, was still very watchable and as equally as traumatic.

The Phantom
      with Billy Zane. Like a Low rent Indianna jones, quite enjoyed it, despite being a bit crummy.

The Illusionist
      Charming animated film set in Edinburgh. Super French and lovely.

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug : Extended edition.
      Definitely the best of the 3, they don't appear to have extended it very much.

Comment

Contrasting films:

The Jungle Book
        Not seen since childhood, I still enjoyed it though

The Raid 2
        Overall better than the first even if it's moved on from the title scenario. Action felt less staged than the first sometimes felt which helped, could have benefitted from more focus on the lead and 45m trimmed from the run time though

Comment

I sometimes wonder about my taste in films. I watched something last night that I really, really enjoyed. Doesn't happen very often, and after I see something I like I have a habit of looking at the reviews to see if it was well received. In this case no, it got absolutely panned in the reviews I read as being utter ****e!

Anyway, the film in question was Unlikely Hero (think it's also known as Paperman). It's a slightly oddball one I suppose, but I just thought it was a lovely little film. I don't think you can really go wrong when the cast includes Emma Stone and Jeff Daniels, though the critics obviously disagreed. Definitely one I'd watch again.

Comment

Just re-watched one of my all time fave films from my childhood UHF Made in 1989 starring Weird Al Yankovic and made in the Naked Gun/Airplane style of extreme gags its basically about Weird Al's character beign a daydreamer, moving from job to job until he stumbles upon a managing position at a dead TV station, channel 62. He manages to bring it from the brink of bankruptcy to a hit thus becoming a nuisance to the main Network station, channel 8. The main gags are the madcap shows and adverts that feature on the station, like Spatula City, Ghandi II, Conan the Librarian and Wheel of Fish.

Comment

Unlikely Hero will be a holiday watch Colin, like the sound of that.

Anyway it's that time of year so I've been a total Cotton headed ninny muggins and watched Elf, Scrooged and the Polar Express. I'm saving the Daddy of Christmas films until Christmas Eve- National Lampoons Christmas Vacation.

'****ters Full'

Comment

I downloaded The Interview for $17.99

It was alright but like The Watch, a dumb laugh that needs to be seen in a cinema full of others also laughing at the dumbness. Just didn't translate to a small screen at home. Actually The Watch was more clever.

That's how I felt anyway. 5/10

Originally posted by PaTaito View Post
                I agree that the character is rather horrid(more accurately pitiful and cold), and that its rather seedy, but i honestly fail to see how this makes for a bad movie...its kinda the whole point of this movie.

Sociopaths are generally not likeable folk lol.

Aside from differences in personal taste, I think sociopath/ psychopath studies can be done well. But when the film itself also, like the sociopath it studies, revels in cruelty and ugliness I'm out. I think many others were put off as well, the film tanked.

Just thinking about this film makes me feel disgusted (like Only God Forgives, which was probably even seedier and stupider)
                Last edited by usman; 25-12-2014, 10:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil View Post
                  Unlikely Hero will be a holiday watch Colin, like the sound of that.

Anyway it's that time of year so I've been a total Cotton headed ninny muggins and watched Elf, Scrooged and the Polar Express. I'm saving the Daddy of Christmas films until Christmas Eve- National Lampoons Christmas Vacation.

'****ters Full'

It that free on Google Play over there too?

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                    It that free on Google Play over there too?
                    Got them all on Blu Ray Kryss

Comment

Just watched sky fall and now watching the raid Indonesian film with English subs.

It's rather good with loads of violence.

Comment

Originally posted by id-republix View Post
                        I downloaded The Interview for $17.99

It was alright but like The Watch, a dumb laugh that needs to be seen in a cinema full of others also laughing at the dumbness. Just didn't translate to a small screen at home. Actually The Watch was more clever.

That's how I felt anyway. 5/10

Aside from differences in personal taste, I think sociopath/ psychopath studies can be done well. But when the film itself also, like the sociopath it studies, revels in cruelty and ugliness I'm out. I think many others were put off as well, the film tanked.

Just thinking about this film makes me feel disgusted (like Only God Forgives, which was probably even seedier and stupider)
                        Unfortunately good films tank all the time...but this seemed a rather low key release anyway.

As for the film itself reveling in cruelty, i have to say, is there any other way to portray such a character? I mean imagine how much less effective patrick bateman would have been minus the brutality and ugliness.

JG's performance certainly elicited a rather heavy reaction from yourself, and being as that reaction is the point of the character, i'd say he did rather well.
                        Last edited by PaTaito; 26-12-2014, 00:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil View Post
                          Got them all on Blu Ray Kryss
                          Only Christmas stuff I have on BR is Ice Age 3D Christmas and Arthur Christmas 3D.
                          Speaking of which, I think it'll be the Ice Age Christmas tonight with dinner.

Comment

Watched Total recall (2012). 2/10.
                            Last edited by usman; 26-12-2014, 02:05. Reason: poitnless drivel

Comment

Watched Leon: The Professional for the first time in years and it's i.m.o one of the best movies of the 90's. Natalie Portman was amazing in it and she and Jean Reno work off each other so well. I remember me & a mate rented it out when it first came out on VHS, we were only 11 or 12 so my friends mum had to get it for us and i remember at the end of the film we both looked at each other and commented on how good the little girl was and checked the credits to find out what her name was. I think to this day it's her best performance and im a big fan of hers and think she has done many great individual performances even if some of the movies havn't been all that great. Luc Besson hasn't directed anything as good since either.
                              Last edited by Sam The Man; 26-12-2014, 02:19.

Comment

Luc Besson always seems to be re-making it to some degree. He has an obsession with killer women assassins

Comment

Working...
                                X