No announcement yet.

Battlestar Galactica........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The most disappointing thing for me was...

the truth behind the opera house. It turned out to be just the CIC! In the original vision it looked like Baltar and the 6 were stealing Hira away from Roslin/her mother for some nefarious purpose.. but they weren't, they were doing the same thing as the other two - just trying to protect her.

Quite why they bothered to have the lame last minute truce (this was the part I considered weak) only for it to then accidentally kick off into a nuclear holocaust is a bit of a mystery.. they could have just upped the drama and kept the battle going.

I did like that the Chief finally got payback though.

I'm also very sad, best TV show in a loooooong time.

I believe you are right in your estimations, the real Baltar seemed to be the one with the answers. Although It seems that

there were three angels, going by Starbuck's unexpected disappearance.

Last edited by Darwock; 21-03-2009, 15:31.

Comment

Real Baltar?! I haven't watched it yet!

Comment

That's not a spoiler, the imaginary Baltar has been kicking about since series 3 if I remember right.

Comment

What the hell was that thing on Lee Adama's head? I was waiting for him to say "Smoke me a kipper...."

And yes the dubbing near the end was particularly bad.

Too much

fate and mysticism

in the end and not enough

Comment

Hmmmm

I can kind of understand the mysticism behind it all, effectively the colonist's could be perceived as the progenitors of religion and subsequentely passed it all down to their ancestors. What I don't understand is the complete lack of any evidence of their existance except a few bones. I can understand them wanting to leave their technolgy behind but not their heritage. It was almost as if they were ashamed of who they were. Then again I guess that could be the case with them developing the Cylons and all that.

Also

the Starbuck explanation wasn't well explained. I came away thinking that she did die but came back as an angel that everyone could see. She didn't know who she was until her journey was complete. If the end scene showed her speaking with head Baltar and head Six then I would have been satisfied.

Comment

agree with most points on here. im happy with the ending - though wish starbucks situation was explained better.

the assault was amazing - good to see them flexing the CGI muscles again for space combat.

liked how they

put the original music in when they flew into the sun...

so were all the survivors tracked and had contact, or was it 'bye then, nice fighting with you'?

2 points i wont miss - 'oh my godS' and the bloody iggy pop advert...

Comment

sort of ties things up but a bit mystical for my liking

this is useful to test/assist your understanding

Aboard Galactica, final preparations are made for the mission...

Comment

Originally posted by Arashikage View Post
                  Hmmmm

What I don't understand is the complete lack of any evidence of their existance except a few bones. I can understand them wanting to leave their technolgy behind but not their heritage.

I guess

the legacy we are supposed to have been left with is in the zodiac and the names of all the greek gods

Comment

this hints at more twisty turniness to come

Comment

Considering the convoluted and often pointless messes they wrote, while ignoring some obvious points, I thought the end worked remarkably well. I don't think there was any way they could have explained

Starbuck

without it being a bit crappy so I thought getting it over with quickly was the best way to go. In the other hand, the realisation of

Baltar and his head visions

was made trickier for me by his rather forced speech - it took me out of the show long enough to think his revelation was a bit too convenient.

And I could have done without the very end being so on the nose. The images and Hendrix were fine and the implication would have been clear without the two of them explaining what I was looking at.

Generally, it required a few leaps. The whole

real Earth and new Earth

was a complete cheat for example. And

Lee just suggesting they drop all technology and everyone going for it didn't ring true at all

But as a conclusion, certainly with regards to the characters, I found it satisfying. The music, as always, was fantastic and it was great to hear some older themes coming back. I don't think the end would have had half the impact without the music but then that's probably true for much television and film. I was pretty happy with the ending.

I'm glad it's over. I've seen people on the internet arguing about how it fares compared with Lost. I don't watch Lost any more but the very fact that the two shows are seen as comparible illustrates where Battlestar went wrong and, for me, made it very tough to enjoy. Imagine trying to compare the first season of Battlestar with Lost? Just wouldn't work. And, for me, the show it was in the first season and definitely in the beginning of the second (which was stunning television) was when the show was great.

But I stuck with it and I'm happy with the ending. Goodbye Battlestar.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                        Considering the convoluted and often pointless messes they wrote, while ignoring some obvious points, I thought the end worked remarkably well. I don't think there was any way they could have explained

Starbuck

without it being a bit crappy so I thought getting it over with quickly was the best way to go. In the other hand, the realisation of

Baltar and his head visions

was made trickier for me by his rather forced speech - it took me out of the show long enough to think his revelation was a bit too convenient.

And I could have done without the very end being so on the nose. The images and Hendrix were fine and the implication would have been clear without the two of them explaining what I was looking at.

Generally, it required a few leaps. The whole

real Earth and new Earth

was a complete cheat for example. And

Lee just suggesting they drop all technology and everyone going for it didn't ring true at all

But as a conclusion, certainly with regards to the characters, I found it satisfying. The music, as always, was fantastic and it was great to hear some older themes coming back. I don't think the end would have had half the impact without the music but then that's probably true for much television and film. I was pretty happy with the ending.

I'm glad it's over. I've seen people on the internet arguing about how it fares compared with Lost. I don't watch Lost any more but the very fact that the two shows are seen as comparible illustrates where Battlestar went wrong and, for me, made it very tough to enjoy. Imagine trying to compare the first season of Battlestar with Lost? Just wouldn't work. And, for me, the show it was in the first season and definitely in the beginning of the second (which was stunning television) was when the show was great.

But I stuck with it and I'm happy with the ending. Goodbye Battlestar.
                        yeah, nicely done Dogg.
                        i think my favorite era was the new caprica bit - dark as hell, and very tense. that and the season 1 with all the space combat sequences etc.

be interesting to see The Plan later this year, but does anyone else think BSG should be left alone now?

Comment

I thought it was fraking brilliant. After a series of confused characters, unnecessary waffle and filler it had everything you could hope for and wrapped things up nicely.

OK, so

the missiles that finished off the colony were a bit silly, the opera house wasn't as important as it should've been and mankind were quick to accept a rather recluse lifestyle (not to mention their whole influence on our development being a bit far fetched)

but I can live with that because they totally nailed everything else and gave us an episode full of tied up loose ends, neat little nods, stunning action and even a few surprises.

I always hoped that

Earth would somehow be our Earth and I thought that anticlimactic ship had sailed. I was giddy when I saw a knackered Galactica pass over the moon. I love how were now part of the whole cycle of violence that requires judgement day as guided by angels, and I like how you're somewhat left to draw your own conclusions where they are concerned, and with some of the symbolism surrounding them.

The biggest compliment I can pay though is after weeks of being a bit disappointed, I was left feeling genuinely gutted that its all over Despite its faults, the greatest sci-fi series I've ever seen.

Comment

So it's finally all over. On the one hand I was a little bit disappointed with the way it finished but I think that was more to do with the direction the series took over the last couple of years rather than specifically the last episode being bad. The first hour or so (i.e. the last battle) was excellent and reminded me why I loved Battlestar Galactica to begin with. The last hour left me feeling a little deflated and wondering what might have been.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the first two series of BSG were some of the finest TV I've seen. Being chased by the Cylons, trying to figure out who the Cylon infiltrators were, and the Pegasus storyline were all first-rate. Sadly, I felt the turning point was the New Caprica storyline. In isolation I didn't think it was that bad - what I didn't like was how the show just jumped ahead 18 months (or however long it was into the future) and then we had to play catch-up, and how the dynamics of the show completely changed afterwards. I can understand why they did it as they were probably worried carrying on as the first two seasons was going to get a little stale and they needed a good shake-up, but it was never the same after New Caprica. Sure, parts of Season 3 were good (Baltar's trial, the reveal of the four Cylons), but generally the show was too different and too much had happened that we hadn't seen on New Caprica.

Then of course, we get into the whole spiritual / religious / metaphysical aspects of the show, which came to a head in the finale. You're watching a sci-fi show, so of course you have to hold some suspension of disbelief, but to literally have
                            and explain most things as

being the work of God (who doesn't like to be called that!)...

it just didn't work for me I'm afraid. I preferred my BSG to be straight-up humans vs. cylons thank you.

So, the finale itself. First, the bad.

So... Starbuck. Er... what? An angel? You've got to be kidding me. And how was she the harbinger of death? Okay, it's interpretation but that didn't go anything like how I expected it would.

The truce. Literally decided in 5 seconds. Would it not have been easier if they'd decided that months ago instead of going to war with each other?

The Cylon colony being destroyed. A couple of nukes accidentally fired and that's it. Lame.

No technology. As if they'd give it all up! And for Lee to suggest it, not in character at all. Oh and as for his hair... look at my avatar!

Angels and God. Oh dear.

The good.

Flashbacks. A good link to the days before the fall.

The opera house. I wasn't keen that it wasn't really that important but at least they didn't just completely forget about it and worked it in.

Laura's death. Poignant and nearly brought a tear to my eye.

Our earth. I kind of guessed this was going to happen ages ago but I thought it was a good idea.

The battle. BSG like it used to be in the good old days.

There's more but I can't think of it right now. Reading back through this it sounds like I hate the show! I don't, I loved it, but I was just disappointed with the direction it took. I feel like it promised a lot more than it delivered on but that's just me. I know others like the direction they ended up going in. I've seen a trailer for the new series, Caprica, and it doesn't look great. I'll watch it but I don't have high hopes.

Goodbye BSG, we'll frakkin' miss you!

Comment

Originally posted by mr_rich View Post
                              i think my favorite era was the new caprica bit - dark as hell, and very tense. that and the season 1 with all the space combat sequences etc.
                              Oh yeah, when Galactica came back to liberate the people on the surface, that was a definite high point of all four series!

Comment

A well thourght out send off to my favorite tv program in quite a few years. Im happy with how it all ended, it could of been a complete whole ridden mess, but it was all wrapped up nicely i though

Ill miss you BSG
                                Last edited by fishbowlhead; 26-03-2009, 13:34.

Comment

Working...
                                X