New and current FS anime Topic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watched the first batch of new stuff now

Kami-sama Hajimema****a - Homeless high school girl becomes unwitting Deity, feels like it will be a mix of Natsume and Maid-Kaichou from a few seasons back, sadly without the animation or art style Nastume making it feel cheap(like Maid Kaichou was). Be interesting to see where they take it, if she'll have to go on quest to solve the peoples prayers or will it just be her trying to get by now living with the knowledge of demons and spirits. Willing to give it a couple of episodes.

[K] - filtered in instagram .... with some fantastic animation and effects, just to bad none of the characters seem likable and we got nothing on what this world is about, which at least that means it has me interested enough to want to find out. Setup seems to be amnesia boy might be a bad guy, getting chased by all manor of super powered humans. keeper for now.

Busou Shinki - pretty much infinite stratos on with mini robot girls, while the CGI was pretty decent and what seems alot of rotorscoped animation on everything else which made it look good, but it just felt sooo souless like a the worst kind of nerd pandering ****... i watched many similar shows like IS and strike witches but none of them felt as overly cashed in and "me to" as this. dropped

Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga ****a - this season moe retard girl harem show, though it seems to be keeping all the crazy into one character so far and the straightman MC so some great chemistry with her, if you like everything else KA does or Denpa Onna from last year then it'll be right up your street, and in this case mine to , it did get quite a few laughs from me. keeper.

JoJo - not much to be said, not a good 1st episode but its JoJo and the art style and over the top self narration making it charming enough.

Magi - probably the top adventure show for this season, very much a One Piece/FMA(brotherhood)-vibe.. not much goes on in the first ep just some introductions and world building. I've not read the manga so im hoping this will be good.

Sukitte Ii na yo - another josei show like Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, and seems to be just as good, though the MC bloke seems to fit the mr.perfect mold more traditionally than TnKK. This time the MC girl is a complete loner, betrayed to many times in her past to want to make friends, while the MC guy is interested in her due her treating him like everyone else. I like it, keeper.

BTOOOM! - Battle Royal meets bomberman, its that simple. I'm expecting alot of the cast to go the Gantz way out. Keeper.

Hayate s3 - new art style, with SHAFT hair for the girls. More of the same.

Ixion Saga - sega's latest anime/game cross over, like that awful Shining Force from earlier this year or World Destruction a while back. Video gamer is sucked into another world, so the set up is stranger in a strange land getting by hap-hazardly.. i do have to say wasn't to plused with it till the end which made me laugh hard and want to watch the next episode,

Kicking the enemy boss inthe nuts while he was powering up and stealing his uber sword really tickled me

Zetsuen no Tempest - Mages battling monsters and other mages, in the end of the modern world plot, seems pretty dark and we can expect the casualty list to hit high numbers. Really good animation and decent art, enjoyed the shotgun vs magic fight.

Code Breaker - like [k] but without fine art or budget, decent enough emo-kids fighting with special powers. MC comes off as a bit of a nutter killing anyone that gets in the way of his mission, while spouting "fighting evil with evil" alot.

Little Busters - seems to be high school slice of live with a bunch of weirdo's doing random stuff in the name of fun and something to do.. i thought it was harem show from the promo art but it seems to be nothing like that (so far), no sign of any plot so far outside of making a baseball team because "why not", kinder bored me about half way in.

Shinsekai Yori - very sinister/dark show, seems the modern world ended a 1000 years ago and now we're seeing the last of humanity. Follows a new bunch of kids growing up as the latest class in Sage school a place for humans with telekinesis powers, it pretty much as it all, disappearances, control of the people, slavery of strange creatures, spirts/demons, and occasionally throwing in flashbacks to the last 1000 years of history. Makes me think of Princess Mononoke. Keeper.

Comment

No To Love-Ru Darkness?

After catching up to the manga it was nice to see the characters animated. Momo is great.

Comment

Finally finishing up some of the summer season shows:

Binbougami ga - this was probably my biggest change of heart after the intiial first episode. I thought it improved as it went along (or maybe I just got used to it). The main character was a bitch and revelled in it, but she did get some development over the course of the series which was nice to see. The side characters were great and my personal favourites (particularly Bobby). The comedy worked for me and I liked the parodies and references used. I hope it gets another season.

Tari Tari - again the first ep didn't quite do it for me but in general I liked the group and their interactions. The emotional payoffs weren't always so great and I wasn't always really invested in some of the storylines (the choir plot at the start). I thought it was interesting how they didn't really play up the romance angles (minus the Taichi stuff in the last episode, which...well, good for him) as that's usually typical for this sort of show. It was mostly just a bunch of friends hanging out together. It did improve but as mentioned on the previous page, the ending did peter out. Think they could have done a lot more with Wien as well because he had the potential to be this show's Noe (oddball chicken girl from TT). Not as good as True Tears which is the only other show I've finished from this studio. I do plan to finish others like HanaIro.

Yuru Yuri - more of the same as the first season which for me meant it was very good. The highlights were definitely the introduction of the other siblings. Most notably Akane who stole every scene she was in. Hope there's another season somewhere down the line.

Natsuyuki Rendezvous - the last few episodes had me flip-flopping like mad. I did empathize with Shimao at some points but the show almost pushed him too far into the twat camp. Particularly the last two episodes. I did also wonder about Rokka

as she almost too happy to have Shimao "back" that she seemed to forget about Hazuki amidst all of that. Thankfully the show did address that satisfactorily. I did also like the brief snippets we saw of their life together in those photographs. There was a happy ending of sorts so yay for that.

. Conflicting emotions throughout mostly stemming from Shimao. Did make for some good drama though and it did end well I thought.

Still need to finish off a few other older shows but I think I'll switch gears to some of the new stuff for now. I'm looking forward to trying out Magi, I've seen people raving about the manga to the extent I've seen things like "as good as One Piece". I'm always up for some new shounen-esque action adventure.

BTOOOM! I've already read the manga up to a point where the scanlations stopped, so I'll probably be skipping through the episodes until they hopefully get to that point and beyond so I can see where the rest of the story goes. The plotlines and things are pretty typical though. You know the sort of paranoia and fear that they play up in survival games/stranded on an island scenarios.

Comment

I could never get into To Love-Ru, the original anime just put me off, didn't like it at all have avoided everything to do with it and the new season of it will be the same.

Hanasaku Iroha is Tari Tari with a Budget and quality writer, although we don't get quite the finish we(i) wanted, the characters develope enough over the show for the stopping point to be ok, specially if they ever follow it up with a OVA or 2.

Comment

2 more shows.

Girls and Panzers - about as mental as strike witches or Upotte, and as much logic. Art and animation is about average, plot seems to be the womens tank world cup is coming to Japan and the goverment have approved every school for tank lessons (seems as though there regular tanks schools for whatever reasons not explained) to up the chances for wining more gold medals i assume... anyway cue a cliche cast of idolmaster'esk girls in mutli colour world war I/II tanks.. about the most interesting thing was the reveal at the end. Will stick with it for now for hope of it turning interesting, could be another tactical roar but with tanks instead of boats (i hope). Don't get the commie release, its absolute ****.

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo - another high school show featuring a cast of mistfits and social retards this time corralled together into a dorm, ahella of lot more lewd than similar show this season Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga ****a. Keeper for now.

Comment

Iroha's getting a movie as I recall although I'm unsure whether it's a retelling or a continuation. I liked the idea of the show but the end of the first episode depressed me immensely for some reason and I've never followed it up even though I know there's a worthwhile pay-off.

Many thanks as always for the recommendations Tobal; I know I can always rely on your opinions!

Possibly redundant but Zapp, if you've never read it, I can highly recommend JoJo for a shounen-esque series even though I've yet to see the actual episode. If it sticks with the source material well enough, it should be something amazing.

Once again yet to actually watch anything. Wheeee. Although I have the anime weekender in Edinburgh next week so if nothing else, Hosoda's Wolf Children should convince me to stop being lazy.

Comment

Kokoro Connect - tied things up quite neatly. I know the final episode count is supposed to be 17 episodes so I'm guessing/hoping they will address the main love triangle which is about the only thing left to be resolved. One of my favourite shows from the summer.

Sukitte Ii na yo - Kimi ni todoke but less sparkly, fluffy and heartwarming seems to be an apt description of the first episode. That might seem like a poor thing on paper but in reality it works well. Who knows? The heartwarming might come later. Remains to be seen where it goes from here but so far is ticking all the right boxes. Exactly the kind of thing I like.

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun - Haru is a bit weird and an almost unbelievable character. He ranks first in the year and he's a delinquent that always seems to be rushing in with his fists. You'd think he might have figured out by now that that's what gets him into trouble. Not to mention he's a whole other level of socially inept compared to Shizuku (who seems to have problems of her own). He does seem to have learned his lesson by the end of the episode. Good episode though and the rapid fire nature of the comedy kept things lighter here and more lively than they were in SukiNayo. As above, this is my kind of thing. Definitely keeping up with it.

Chuunibyou - that was fun. Really enjoyed that. It's KyoAni so it's got a lot more leeway than most shows, nevertheless there were a few twists thrown in that made the setup more interesting. Definitely a keeper. Some real LOL moments in there as well. One of my favourite first episodes so far.

K - It has potential. Good production values and animation. Wanted to see more of the fights, particularly the main face off at the beginning. The school stuff just wasn't as interesting to me. Still not 100% committed but I'll be watching a few more episodes at the very least. Could do with less of the JPN VAs mangling English though.

Zetsuen no Tempest - Bones. Supernatural mystery with some well animated action. Good production values all round. Keeping up with this for sure.

Magi - Good first episode with enough action to keep me interested. Main character (I'm assuming it is) also showing some backbone this early on was nice. It certainly does seem like it will fit that adventure vibe. I'd already been convinced this was a keeper beforehand and the actual episode didn't dampen my expectations any. Just on the right side of silly too. I can see myself really enjoying this. I'll be onboard for the foreseeable future. May even check out the manga.

Jojo - watched it straight after Magi and it totally ruined my mood. Laughably OTT at times and not always in a good way. I've not read the manga (I know! It's one of the glaring omissions in my reading to date which will probably be rectified in the next couple of months) so came into this totally fresh beyond knowing it's one of the iconic manga and passing familiarity with some character designs. Honestly, if it were any other show pulling some of the stuff this was, I might have dropped it after Dio's introduction, out of sheer frustration. Little did I know that there was worse to come. It felt rushed and consequently the way the story unfolds stretched the believability of the whole scenario. There was some satisfaction

with Jojo not breaking, and also giving Dio a beating in their scuffle near the end of the episode, but not enough to counterbalance all the stupidity.

This sums up my thoughts: WTF DIIIIIIIIIIOOOOOOOOOOO *shakes fists*. I have to keep telling myself that stuff like One Piece took a while for me to really get into it, but even that didn't leave me frustrated the way this episode did. I also have to keep telling myself that Dio will get his comeuppance eventually or so I hope. Still hasn't deterred me from checking out the manga eventually. Who knows? maybe I'll have calmed down by the next episode.

All in all, the fall shows I've watched have left me satisfied (mostly). Not come across a truly dud show yet of the ones I've watched, and I still have at least 2-3 more shows that I'm interested in like Psycho Pass, Robotics;notes and Shin sekai yori to check out.

Comment

The only shows i was expecting getting anything out of going into this season was KA's show, Robots;notes, Jormungand, Initial D and Seitokai no Ichizon (which ain't a great show but i got attached the characters 1st time round), but the two josei/romance shows and Magi have really upped the qaulity of the season.

Speaking of Jormungand, the 2nd seasons sub are out, hopefully we'll get less reality breaking scene's it tends to lapse into now and then during the action bits. Not much happens outside setting up snippets of Koko's big world changing plan and her next big bad.

Bakuman s3 and "Onii-chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankei yo ne" i'm not gonna bother with, trash!

Comment

I like Bakuman, but I should probably just read the manga.

Can't wait for Initial D though.

Comment

Psyhco-Pass - feels very much a relic of the past when anime use to have shows about sci-fi and edgy darkness, i can think of a hundred shows it apes like GitS, Patlabor, Judge Dredd and Bladerunner. Setup is, computers can now read your mental health and should it rise above a certain point by anyone of many recording devices around then sends out the police to bring you in for re-education, and should you be to far gone they send out a special unit to get them which this show follows. I really liked it, and theres been nothing with this budget, like this for a long time.
                      Last edited by Tobal; 11-10-2012, 23:33.

Comment

Ixion saga DT - Production values aren't really there but I found the whole thing entertaining enough. It errs more on the silly side than anything (see the finishing move for the battle at the end of the episode and the source of the hero's willpower). It's inoffensive and raised a few chuckles, enough to get a few episodes out of me. I can see it filling the same sort of niche as Estetica and Dog Days before it. It'll be worth it for moments like the end of episode 1 I should imagine. Guilty pleasure watch.

Sakurasou - high school ecchi romance comedy about sums it up. Pretty sure the subs I watched said it was taking place at a university, but to all intents and purposes it's another school-like setting. More of the focus seems to be on the inhabitants of a particular dormitory, which I do like. That kind of setting seems perfect for all sorts of hijinks (as seen in H&C), and they don't need to make up silly reasons for parents not being there etc. About the same level as Ixion for me. It had its moments. Potential for some interesting/funny meta-commentary with some of the residents being involved in Anime production. Guilty pleasure.

Comment

i've seen the first couple of episodes of a few things now too.

K
                          i have no idea what this is about, but its still good (apart from when japanese people try to speak english) nice animation is pretty much all you can say, as the bigger story seems to be a mystery right now. but the battles look nice, and i'm intrigued enough to carry on.

Btoooom
                          people who play on an online death match style game get whisked away to an island and forced to play for real. this was quite interesting too, with the second episode being quite messed up. interested to see how this plays out too, so i'll stick with this as well for now. i suspect everybody we meet will have a particularly ****ed up back story.

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
                          this is great. high school comedy romance. a delinquent with no friends falls in love with a girl in his class and starts actually going to school. i really liked this, with the guy's rather straight forward no nonsense approach to everything creating most of the comedy. definitely sticking with this.

Shin Sekai Yori
                          in the future everyone has psychic powers, and school children are doing something. god knows what, as it seems to be rather vague. the second episode concentrated on a game they were playing, then a voice over at the end informed us of a guy going missing, and some other stuff that probably would have been more interesting than what we actually saw. is it supposed to be scarey? its odd. if the next episode isnt really great i'll dump it.

Comment

Ixion Saga DT ep2 - definitely fits in the estetica mold of playing on the shounen adventure MC mold, ep2 continues this theme... oh god when he woke up in hospital and they gave the news... and then the smashing out come of the 2nd fight they

might well be turning him in a women

, also those ending credits... beggers belief.

Shinsekai Yori - watch ep3 now, its started slow so far but looks to be promising to gives us the answers in ep4 now they've found a source of information, and i assume ep5 will be there decision act on that information going on the pacing.. it still like it.

Little Busters ep2 - episode one didn't do much for me, but this was a step up right away and continued to be enjoyable throughout, even dropped hints not everything rosey this world which is where i drama comes from as the VN has a lots of fans.

Sukitte Ii na yo ep2 - things be moving pretty fast already,

though im not sure about her dropping her guard so easily after life-time of avoiding people, it just made her look really desperate. I can understand the motives at least, if someones paying attention to you and their a looker why not give it a go. Remains to be seen now if the story goes fully misunderstanding, them just dating or a mix of both...

Comment

Jojo ep 2 - Okay, after this episode I think I'm just not going to think too hard on some of the finer details of the plot. How anyone can think Dio is such "a great guy!" given that Jojo remembers the events of seven years ago shortly afterwards, beggars belief... Stupidity aside at least Jojo has levelled up and become even more awesome. I do like the names and the flamboyance. I mean Speedwagon. Jesus.

Magi ep 2 - decent ep with a bit more worldbuilding, and some background on Alibaba being teased out. Not much more to say really. It did feel like they skimped out on a lot of the dungeon crawl though.

Tonari no Kaibutsu ep 2 and 3 - More good stuff. Expanding the cast a bit and the new addition seems to fit right in with the others. Loved the

"you probably noticed how cute I actually am" in episode 2. She's a girl after my own heart "you can find anything on the internet"

. Things seem to be moving quite quickly as well.

I guess the guy at the end of ep 3 will probably play into Haru's realization that he does like Shizuku in the same way she likes him. That's the way it usually works i.e. he sees her with another guy --> jealous shenanigans

Chuunibyou - Enjoying this. Love the disparity between the delusions and what goes on in real life (e.g. park battle in episode 2 and clubroom battle in episode 3) right down to the made-up terminology that they invariably shout as they ready their weapons or perform special moves. Some really nice animation involved.

Seems Yuuta also has a gun fetish lol. I would love it if Nibutani ends up being the most delusional of the lot.

Last edited by Zapp$ter; 20-10-2012, 16:51.

Comment

Without doing yet more cross posting, I've been at the Scotch loves Anime weekend and saw 6 films which I feel compelled to rant about:
                                Berserk 1: Great, looks a bit ropey, nicely adapted.
                                Berserk 2: Improved on the looks, still nicely adapted.
                                Afterschool Midnighters: CG ahoy, great fun to watch, some lovely humour.
                                Nerawareta Gakuen: World premiere! Stunning backgrounds, lens flare everywhere, great characters, jumps the ****ing shark at the end.
                                Anime Mirai Project: 2 out of 4 really enjoyable, 1 short terrifying due to spiders and 1 short more of a kids information film
                                Wolf Children: Amazing. Best out of the 3 (well-known) Hosoda films.

Comment

Working...
                                X