No announcement yet.

New and current FS anime Topic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've completely missed everything this year including the releases this fall. Just wondering if you guys can name the ones i should have watched or should be watching now?

Comment

this year...

early 2012 gave us
      Daily Lives of High School Boys - skit comedy with some relationship progression - top show
      Another - anime version of final destination, quite good with some nasty deaths.
      Ano Natsu de Matteru - a knock off of Ongai teacher/twins shows featuring similar characters/art/setup
      Nisemonogatari - continuation of Bakemonogatari = automatically great (and it was)
      Natsume s4 - more slice of life dealings with the supernatural - fantastic.
      Steins;gate - fantastic time traveling show featuring grim-dark and conspiracy theories.

Average fan only shows -
      Rinne no Lagrange - super robot+girls+great music
      Aquarion EVOL - 3rd season super robot show losely tying aquarion together over 24,000 years
      Mouretsu Pirates - girls+commerial pirates+simi-realistic hard-sci-fi
      Symphogear - Super Sentai with "quality" animation and lot of themes stolen from other shows, uses moves clearly ripped from shows like gundam and has kind of a dark edge to it, i strangely enjoyed it.
      Louise the Zero 3 - final season, i thought it was complete ****.

Middle of the 2012
      Sakmichi no Apollon - high school slice of life/romance, featuring jazz, 1960's and some injection of intelligence in its theme's for once.
      Fate/Zero - prequel to Fate/Stay Night, has a much more likeable cast and couple of amazing fights.
      Hyouka - kyoani big show about high school slice of life "detectives", 4 likeable MC's and some great interactions - must watch.
      Eureka Seven A0- just finished, sequel to e7 while not as good as the original there it not much much like it the macross/Eva mold.
      Jormungand - Black Lagoon but world wide and about arms dealers.
      Accel World - vitural MMO fighter where losing all your points means a memory wipe and lose of real life "hax", starts badly with a god awful MC that manages to pull it together to a likable guy mid point using classic shounen teeth gritting violence.
      Space brothers - still going, hard sci-fi set in 2025 with JAXA hiring a couple of jap astronauts for a mission to mars, feature a 30 yearold has been getting a second chance while feature a werid amount of football knowledge.
      Mysterious Girlfriend X - MC gets a strange girlfriend after tasting her sliva, show is pretty much about them dealing with eaching other.
      Lupin 3rd - new series, not in to it myself, but alot of people liked it.
      Yuru Yuri 2 - more lesbo antic's
      Natsuyuki Rendezvous - adult theme'd romance show, bloke makes advances on his manager who's dead husband still lingers on.
      Kokoro Connect - drama/romance - 5 high schooler get put through the wringer on a aliens whim, but it seems to sort out their personal problems they hide from each other as they go, relationship build as it has the greatest female character this year in it.
      Horizon 2 - more of same this time homeless Japan takes on Victorian England and helps in the fight against Spain.

Average fan only shows -
      Medaka box - follow's the manga exactly as a commentary on Shounen manga, doesn't turn all fighty till last couple of episode, S2 going on right now which is nothing but fights. Really well animated show from Ganiax.
      Saint Seiya Omega - sequel to saint seiya saga(s) without saint seiya, cue MC getting mauled to hell and back but asspulling there way to victory thanks to GUTS! - love it, even has the **** animation original seiya had
      Tsuritama - Fishing with aliens to save the world
      AKB0048 - insane show about AKB48 in the future fighting the anti-entertainment group with robots and dead eyed, souless girls.
      Nyaruko - Cthulhu deity's get moe'd in romance comedy, starts well enough but i found it boring after 5eps, others liked it.
      Upotte - Guns that materialise as girls, cue war games and high school high jinx with FAL, SIG, SA80 and M16.
      Binbougami ga - Lucky big titted selfish girl is hounded by the goddess of misfortune to balance the world out, pretty decent fluff show.
      Moyashimon returns - more moyashimon but the doesn't advance the story one sadly.
      Hagure Yuusha no Estetica - Manly MC takes on all comers be it typical shounen rivels or girls underwear.

Right now
      Sword Arts Online - loved by many, good art and animation, fills that western fantasy itch and creates flame wars everywhere. Vitural reality headset game SAO goes live, then turns into a game where players can't log off till they clear the final dungeon and death means death in real life, story follows Beta player soloer.
      Muv-Luv ATE - with aliens wining the war, humanity brings with best and brighest together to test new mecha/weapons for combat. Lots of death and nobodies save from the axe.
      Chuunibyou - Kyoani new high school show, boy has to deal with a girl wrapped up in believing inthe dark arts, which often reminds him of how he use to act in middle school bringing much embrassment.
      Magi - latest shounen show if you like your naruto's and one piece's
      Robotics;notes - a not direct sequel to steins;gate, kids try to build a super robot.. seems to featuring conspiracy theories about the end of world.
      Girls and Panzer - girls, tanks and tank tournaments. very nice.
      Tonari no Kaibutsu - decent high school romance/comedy
      Sukite ti nayo - decent high school romance (no comedy)
      Btooom - battle royal meets bomberman.
      Sakurasou no pet na kanojo - good high school comedy/romance
      Last edited by Tobal; 03-12-2012, 19:14.

Comment

Thanks for the massive list Tobal. Tremendous work!!!
        Keep hearing good things about Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Thinking of buying the bluray set, is it worth an investment?

Comment

Steins Gate, Sword Art Online and Btooom are stand out series' for me.. thoroughly enjoying SOA & Btooom at the moment..

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBeatBoy View Post
            Thanks for the massive list Tobal. Tremendous work!!!
            Keep hearing good things about Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Thinking of buying the bluray set, is it worth an investment?
            Probably, it's not as good as you hear but it's still pretty great.

Comment

Ahh man Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day had me in a right state.

Well worth the purchase.
              Last edited by PaTaito; 04-12-2012, 17:22.

Comment

Madoka i thought was fantastic as it was airing last year, and not much has changed on that opinion. If you like what Eva did for Super Robot Shows, Madoka does that for Magic Girls, though some might point Nanoha and Utena doing it 1st. So if you like the latter two then Madoka is for you.

edit -- forgot about Anohana, i remember enjoying it at the time but i think not wrapping the show up with "what they next" after the goodbyes made it more forgettable than it should have been.
                Last edited by Tobal; 04-12-2012, 17:24.

Comment

Jormungand ep21 - i mentioned before i feel this show making me in rooting for bad guys to win as Koko's going off the rails to complete her secret plan, attacking the "unlawful good" the show paints america as kinder pisses me off and i don't hold any sort of candle for america.

Chuunibyou ep10 - It has been a while since a Kyoani show had relationships advance, Hyouka ultimately disappointed earlier this year but this was great see something happen(and so god darn cute with a few good laughs) and some "growing up" character development(if they stick in last few eps) made for a great episode.

Comment

Fallen behind on a couple of the shows (Sukitte, Tonari, SAO) but I have kept up with Magi and surprisingly Jojo. I've enjoyed Magi since the start and the new characters that have been introduced are excellent additions. The worldbuilding is starting to take shape as the scope of the series expands. I think we've also entered the arc that manga fans say is the one where the series really gets going. Looking forward to it. If I'm being nitpicky I'd like to see some more interesting fights and action (the Mor-centric episode is an example but maybe with some more substantial enemies) but I do wonder if that isn't where the series focus lies. It's still early days I suppose. Do we even have an episode count for it?

Jojo - got more invested in this once Zepelli was introduced and I put the opening few episodes firmly out of my mind. Jonathan was the star for me, kept me watching where I might have otherwise stopped. I did find the cartoonishness of some things hilarious such as

when Dire's decapitated head is still alive enough to throw a rose at Dio.

which may not have been intentional. The OP really grew on me too. First anime-related song in a while to do that. I do like the structure of the series especially if there are going to be more

timeskips featuring other Joestar family members

. The potential scope...and the ensuing possibilities that come from that... As for part 2... well I'm liking Joseph already. He's different enough from Jonathan to make it interesting while still having that noble side that generally makes shounen anime protagonists appealing. Thankfully nothing quite as silly as the first few episode of part 1 yet.

Comment

the start of Jojo part2 was great, and the ending... i nearly spat my tea out

when he whipped out that tommy gun

, fantastic. Though the stupidity is still there, that whole plan/terrorist bit was insane. Not watching Chuuni zap? i think its just edged out Hyouka for the best of kyoani's recent efforts.

Shingeki no Kyojin getting anime adaption and it looks ****ing rad, they got the art down, they have the speed and agility down (puts the spiderman films to shame) and not a single CGI titan. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKtVFMgvcIc

dropped K and Code:Breaker recently to, both going nowhere for along time with nothing else to keep me hooked in, little Busters is getting very close to being dropped, half the cast are complete **** and the story has gone nowhere yet, but it every other episode dangles that carrot of the "hidden secret of the world" plot, which is just enough to want to know whats going to happen.
                      Last edited by Tobal; 11-12-2012, 17:39.

Comment

Forgot to mention Chuunibyou actually. I'm still watching. Don't think I've dropped a KyoAni show to date. They usually have a couple of elements that I enjoy enough to keep up with in the worst case. Just a few episodes behind with it is all.

Comment

Jojo (Part2) ep11 - oh man i just love this show, its completely off the rails and Joseph is a fantastic lead, the whole

grenade scene had me laughing hard

. Also the new opening continues the the good work done by the previous one. MORE!

Comment

Just finished watching Madoka. So dark, intelligent and wonderful. All in one. Such a shame its all over. Got Angel Beats to delve in next, its got no chance in topping my previous watch.

EDIT: Also just checked out that Attack on Titan trailer. Looks solid, just like the manga. Don't know whether the anime will be in for the long haul as the manga is still ongoing.
                            Last edited by SuperBeatBoy; 25-12-2012, 22:13.

Comment

Lots of people love Angel Beats so it may give it a run for it's money.

Personally I don't really rate it all that well, but it's a fair watch.

Comment

Glad you enjoyed Madoka, it was definitely a stand out show when it was airing, as for angel beats its main problem is running out of eps to tell a story, especially the goodbyes, but at least those they kept in where pretty good.

now on to some shows ending.

Chuuni ep 12 - last episode, and for once kyoani did a decent ending.

I like the reveal that Rikka copied Yuuta's Chuuni'ism to helped to hide the pain of losing her father and that the resolution to not us it a crutch but to accept to move on. Yuuta and Rikka reunion was great to,

would say to definitely watch the 5 or 6 Lite episodes as one of them pops up in this episode to.

Sword Arts Online ep25 - and so it ends, sure it got damned stupid at times and didn't explain alot of the mechanics/side stories but it didn't stop it being enjoyable. They gave the epilogue half the episode which was great,

the villian comuppance was good, it was nice to secondary characters meeting up afterwards, and them merging SAO into ALO

. It won't be long before we get another season i bet.

JoJo part continues to be great and i started catching up on Seitokai no Ichizon S2, which left me cold the first 2 episodes as i felt the characters weren't acting how there are in season one, but it gets right back on track with ep3.

Comment

Working...
                                X