No announcement yet.

The Boxing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prescott has a record of 19 fights, 19 won, 17 by KO.

Comment

What have Amir Khan and TB got in common?

One jab and it's all over.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidHolliss View Post
        Read it was his new trainer that chose this opponent
        Apparently he clapped when he was knocked him out as well.

Prescott will give him a rematch.

After blowing out UK superstar Amir Khan in less than a minute of the first-round in Manchester, Colombian puncher Breidis Prescott (20-0, 18KOs) has world title dreams on his mind. He made good on his promise to knock Khan out, but even Prescott was surprised with how quick the fight was over.

Comment

Not sure if anyones heard it yet but Roy Jones Jnr has made a new Rap song for and about his upcoming fight with Joe Calzaghe, its not bad.

Can be downloaded at http://fightbeat.com/news_details.php?NW=21832

A bit of Michael Buffer in there too and some JC at the end.

Also Mosley v Mayorga tonight on Sky Sports 1.
          Last edited by mikewl; 27-09-2008, 23:08.

Comment

BBC, Sport, BBC Sport, bbc.co.uk, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Boxer retiring after 300 fights ... and 256 defeats.

Are there are big fights coming up?, not seen any boxing for far too long.

Comment

Calzaghe v Jones

Comment

that would have been a big fight a few years ago but Calzaghe swerved him until he thought he was over the hill enough to get the name on his record without fighting the guy in his prime.

know I've been on here before about Calzaghe but can't stand him or his puffed up record.

Comment

Captain glass hands vs. the king of showboating.

Should be a classic.

Comment

Originally posted by merf View Post
                    that would have been a big fight a few years ago but Calzaghe swerved him until he thought he was over the hill enough to get the name on his record without fighting the guy in his prime.

know I've been on here before about Calzaghe but can't stand him or his puffed up record.
                    According to some people including Roy Jones himself it's Frank Warren that was holding him back. Ricky Hatton left Warren for this very reason.

Comment

Frank Warren is very skilled at puffing up british fighters records and matching them well (obviously messed up a bit with Khan).

Its pretty easy now to sit there blaming your manager for who you've fought. Calazaghe seems like a pretty shrewd chap and if he believed it was Warren he'd have done something about it, he was quite happy defending his WBO title against second rate opponents.

Don't recall Warren holding back all the other fighters he had in the 80s 90s, and wasn't Warren Hatton's manager when he fought Kosta Tsou (not sure on the spelling of that one) who was considered one of the best pound for poiund in the world at the time.

Blaming Warren is a cheap defence. Calzaghe has fought for money and a 0 loss record, I've no probs with that but just don't go round claiming you are an all time legend.

Comment

Frank Warren is very skilled at puffing up british fighters records and matching them well (obviously messed up a bit with Khan).

Its pretty easy now to sit there blaming your manager for who you've fought. Calazaghe seems like a pretty shrewd chap and if he believed it was Warren he'd have done something about it, he was quite happy defending his WBO title against second rate opponents.

Don't recall Warren holding back all the other fighters he had in the 80s 90s, and wasn't Warren Hatton's manager when he fought Kosta Tsou (not sure on the spelling of that one) who was considered one of the best pound for poiund in the world at the time.

Blaming Warren is a cheap defence. Calzaghe has fought for money and a 0 loss record, I've no probs with that but just don't go round claiming you are an all time legend.
                        Two fantastic posts - I couldn't agree more, merf!

I would personally love nothing more than to see Roy Jones, Jr. turn the clock back 10 or even 5 years on Saturday night and dismantle Calzaghe, but it probably won't happen. Calzaghe at his best could never, ever have lived with Jones at his.

You're right - Warren did manage Hatton when he fought Kosta Tszyu, but even then Tszyu had basically come out of retirement for that fight (inactive for two or three years, iirc). Hatton dumped Warren and almost instantly landed a superfight with Floyd Mayweather Jr. The hardcore Calzaghe lovers have to take their blinders off for a second and ask themselves just why their man (who held a world title for ten years and had some bargaining power) didn't do the same.

Comment

Hatton criticized Warren for not getting him the big fights in his book. He would makes promises then make excuses and pit him against a nobody, that's why he eventually ditched him. Warren is well known for doing this sort of thing and he has links with the WBO who seem to allow him to pick his own mandatories.

Collins and Hopkins both pulled out of fights with Calzaghe years ago. Jermain Taylor wanted $10 million after the Hopkins wins, and then went on to fight smaller light middleweights when the deal couldn't be made. Who is there for Calzaghe to fight now if he beats Jones? Chad Dawson? Arthur Abraham at a catch weight?

I'd like to know why Eubank and Benn never fought Hopkins, Roy Jones or James Toney. Eubank did admit in his book that he wanted to avoid Jones and Jones claimed Benn turned him down. Did anyone see the confrontation between James Toney and Eubank and Benn on TV? He seriously insulted them and Eubank was speechless.

Didn't Roy Jones test positive for a banned drug at his peak?
                          Last edited by Shoju; 03-11-2008, 17:32.

Comment

I really don't want to believe Benn turned anyone down, after fighting Iran 'The Blade' Berkley in the states and taking on the fearsome McLeland I always had the impression he took on all mandatory challenges and never swerved anybody.

Benn is my boxing hero, right up there with Hagler, both real warriors.

Say it aint so.

Comment

met michael watson while shopping in cambridge a couple of weeks back!
                              I shook his hand and physically and mentally he seemed quite well, really pleasant guy, very friendly and down to earth.

Comment

Some interesting videos:

2:20
                                A celebrity audience join Chris Eubank & Nigel Benn before their rematch

About 6 minutes in
                                Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

22/7/95 Post fight interview after stopping Vincenzo Nardiello.

Comment

Working...
                                X