No announcement yet.

The Boxing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow that first knockdown was brutal, perfect punches.

What I hated about the build up was Khan being hyped way too much, standing in front of the pictures of Hatton, Bruno, Tyson etc, it was far too premature and along with the PPV treatment alot of boxing fans were quite pleased to see this happen, he was yet to even prove he could compete on a world level.

Glad I didn't part with my money on this one.

Also managed to get my boxing fix last night on the Diaz v Katsidis fight on a free stream, always good to have the US stream for fights with Lennox commentating.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
      There was a post-fight phone-in on BBC R5 Live and you wouldn't believe how many "armchair boxing experts" have crawled out of the woodwork to slate Khan for this, and that's not even mentioning various forums in and around the Internet. Talk about the classic British "build 'em up, knock 'em down" cliché. Disgraceful. He doesn't deserve that, and I'm saying this as somebody who wouldn't pay £15 PPV to watch the fight last night - that decision has to go down as another one of a series of incredibly poor management decisions from Warren and the Khan camp. Expect heads to roll over this.

Kahn deserves everything he gets as far as I’m concerned.

He got rocked by Willie Limond (a guy who has to bulk up to get to lightweight) and he’s ranked above a ton of fighters who’ve fought far more credible opponents - he was even ranked above Prescott.

that result been coming for a few fights, I've said it before but he was far too sloppy and believed his own hype.

I'm a bit of an old school fight fan, its fine to be flash when you have a few world title defences under your belt but when you shout your gob off like him having achieved very little, then actually believe it, its a recipe for disaster.
      Totally agree.

You don’t talk about fighting Floyd Mayweather and moving to middleweight before you're the champ.
      Last edited by Kit; 07-09-2008, 18:44.

Comment

Having rewatched the knockdown a couple of times, Khan gets clipped on the temple before the real heavy blows that put him on his arse. Now that part of the head, if you get hit with force it can really disorientate you. I believe this is why his defence was more than suspect just afterwards, in fact you can see him stumble after this initial clipping blow. No doubt about it, that Columbian can really punch though and you can see why he has the record he has.
        Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Khans defence has always been really suspect, nowt to do with getting clipped, he's also looked a bit weak in the whiskers from the second he stepped up from club fighters

UFC on Setanta was brilliant, think I'm preferring this to boxing, you are gteed some good action and its more varied. Can see UFC taking over from all but the biggest of title match ups.

Comment

Originally posted by Kit View Post

Kahn deserves everything he gets as far as I?m concerned.

He got rocked by Willie Limond (a guy who has to bulk up to get to lightweight) and he?s ranked above a ton of fighters who?ve fought far more credible opponents - he was even ranked above Prescott.
            So he deserves to get slated on forums and phone-ins all over the country by two-faced, bitter and hypocritical no-marks who probably don't have the courage to say these things to his face just because he's been on the good end of some old-fashioned boxing politics? Sorry Kit, but that's a load of absolute nonsense. I think that you'll find that he's not the first boxer to have been promoted in a such a way and neither will he be the last.

By all means criticize him for not having learned enough defensive skills from encounters against guys like Willie Limond and showing complete naivety against Prescott, but for people to completely write the guy off after 1 (admittedly bad) defeat and just launch what's verging on personal abuse against him is just a disgrace. Why can't we support our sportsmen/women when they're going through tough times?

Originally posted by Kit View Post

You don?t talk about fighting Floyd Mayweather and moving to middleweight before you're the champ.
            Er, you may not be aware of this, but Boxing has always consisted of guys who have shouted their mouths off about what they can do against other people and so on, before getting into rings with said people. Is it ideal? Perhaps not. Will it happen again with other fighters? Yes.

Comment

Kahn deserves everything he gets as far as I’m concerned
              of course he does , Lets face it he was beaten soundly by a nobody , a boxer than next to no one had heard off , and nowhere near in the top 10 in the world. Its sheer nonsense to blame the promoter or camp for taking on this fight , If Kahan couldn't beat this guy then a world champ in waiting he is not .

Another arrogant sod , found wanting when facing a half decent up coming fighter , rather than a boxer well past his best

Comment

I'm just wondering what odds you would have got on Khan being KO'd in the first round, wouldn't have minded a tenner on that.

Comment

I don't follow boxing past a casual interest but the problem seems to stem from both poor discipline (the way he rushed in leaving himself exposed ) and poor selection of oponents. He needed fights against up rising talents but he should've started against ones who don't look as if they're soaring up the rankings until he developed his form.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                    Lets face it he was beaten soundly by a nobody
                    I don't want to defend him, but everybody is a nobody at some point. What's to say this guy doesn't go on to be the undisputed champion at this weight?

I don't think Khan has been helped by his management team, personally. By and large his opponents have been truly awful, which might initially be good for the CV but after too many opponents just leads to apathy, and of course it won't really have helped him develop as a boxer.

It's a little suspicious that his first real fight is the first fight that's aired as PPV, don't you think? Warren's been waiting for the 'right time'... or the 'right money'?

Hopefully he'll bounce back. I haven't seen the fight yet though... we're not talking Herol Graham levels of glass-ness to the chin, are we?

Comment

Fire up youtube, the other guy is a great puncher but Khan does (understandably) go down like a sack of the preverbial. Read it was his new trainer that chose this opponent. Ouch.

Sure he'll bounce back, but the world and his wife will be aiming for that chin in the future.

Comment

Just watched it, you're right that's worrying. He did get caught very cleanly, I guess if he can shore up the defence then he has a chance at least of being successful, but I don't see world domination incoming (Which is something we immediately plaster our 'successful' Olympians with. ).

Comment

I've seen all his recent fights and I think his chin is extremely suspect, some fighters who have a rep for being chinny aren't, take Bruno, he didn't get cleanly taken out but would freeze and then succumb to a barrage of blows, Kahn seems to go down as soon as a decent shot gets landed on him.

This isn't career terminal, he could re-invent himself as a Benn style tear up merchant who either knocks out or gets knocked out.

Unless he learns some serious defensive skills though that chin will stop him getting out of even the higher levels of euro class opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                            of course he does , Lets face it he was beaten soundly by a nobody , a boxer than next to no one had heard off , and nowhere near in the top 10 in the world. Its sheer nonsense to blame the promoter or camp for taking on this fight , If Kahan couldn't beat this guy then a world champ in waiting he is not .

Another arrogant sod , found wanting when facing a half decent up coming fighter , rather than a boxer well past his best
                            Is Prescott "a nobody" or "a half decent up coming fighter"?

Make up your mind, for feck's sake!

Comment

Serves him right for changing to Sky. PPV and restricted access has done boxing more harm than good.

Comment

Originally posted by Number45 View Post
                                I don't want to defend him, but everybody is a nobody at some point. What's to say this guy doesn't go on to be the undisputed champion at this weight?
                                He may do , Khan isn't that much is for sure . Another arrogant Prince want to be , Only at least hamed had a decent chin and a good punch, but again he was found wanting the moment he faced a decent fighter .

Is Prescott "a nobody" or "a half decent up coming fighter"?
                                You ever heard of him before , nowhere near the top 10 , and kicked Khan ass, a guy that said he was going to be the youngest Brisths champ, he couldn't even do that .

A boxer in the class Honeyghan , Eubank, Calzaghe he is not . Even the Hitman was found wanting when he faced the best that the USA had to throw at him, never mind the Mexicans

Comment

Working...
                                X