Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Jill Dando murder shocked me more than anything celebrity wise. Pretty much all the rest you could see coming, Winehouse, MJ and even Pricess Di but Dando was just a presenter.

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
      That's just an extreme example.

To add more grey to the choice: your best friend or the coach of kids? Your favourite teacher? Your pet dog? A coach carrying the team you support crashing? A coach carrying 5 more people but they're all middle aged?
      I think you are missing my point, we don't know any of these people involved - Amy Winehouse nor the 90 Norwegians.

Comment

Originally posted by Fader209 View Post
        I think you are missing my point, we don't know any of these people involved - Amy Winehouse nor the 90 Norwegians.
        I bet you can tell me more about Amy Winehouse than everyone that died in Norway combined.

Comment

The Norway events undoubtedly had a far worse impact on me, it's rare a piece of news genuinely makes me sad but that acheived it.

I don't begrudge anyone if they feel her death has a bigger impact for them though. She was a genuine talent and had potential to become a once in a generation type of megastar before she threw it all away.

Comment

I agree with Fader, far more upset by a bunch of innocent strangers being killed for no decent reason than seeing just another self inflicted druggy ODing. Always irks me when drug addicts are painted as victims of the drugs, the industry they finance is one of the most destructive and violent on the planet.

Comment

Originally posted by averybluemonkey View Post
              I agree with Fader, far more upset by a bunch of innocent strangers being killed for no decent reason than seeing just another self inflicted druggy ODing. Always irks me when drug addicts are painted as victims of the drugs, the industry they finance is one of the most destructive and violent on the planet.
              Neither of us has ever been addicted to drugs, but people seem to think of it as "all her fault" as if she could just wake up one morning and say "no more drugs" and all of a sudden everything would be fine. That's not how addiction works. Maybe she could have done more, it's impossible to say because we've never been in that situation and we've never lived life as she has.

And it's not really a matter of "agreeing with Fader." Different things affect different people to different degrees and nobody is wrong for being affected by one or the other. It's not a competition and people shouldn't be made to feel like they're terrible people just because they're more affected by Amy Winehouse dying than the kids in Norway. It should never have been brought up in the first place as a comparison.

Comment

I'm not saying quiting an addiction is easy, it requires willpower.

However, someone's personal weaknesses does not give them a clear ride for financing activities involved in violence, murder, trafficking and so on. I have drunks in the family they always use their weakness as an excuse, doesn't change the fact that other people have got over the exact same addictions as them and if these people can't it's their failing.

And I do think it's a problem if people are affected more by this as was brought up earlier, I think it's a very serious problem with our culture. And as long as that attitude persists the injustices going on outside of the Western world will continue, as we continue to see foreigners as worth less than us.

Comment

Let's just leave it there.

Comment

I agree with you all.

Comment

I love you all. Lets all be happy!

Comment

RIP Amy, you sang some great songs!

Comment

I blame her Dad! - she wouldn't go to rehab, she didn't have the time, her daddy thought she was fine, it's always the parents

Comment

Someone told me Amy Winehouse was dead, I didn't bat an eyelid and said 'she was killing herself slowly, it had to happen eventually'.

Lets hope the kids take note and see drugs are not cool, clever and all that glitters is not gold.

I can't believe the death of 1 person who killed herself is being compared to 80+ kids being murdered.

Strange world we live in.

Comment

Another celebrity in the "dead at 27" hall of fame!

Comment

You can only help a person so much.

They (Winehouse in this case) need to want to 'recover', otherwise its going to only end one way. I daresay her parents and management tried their best to get her the correct care, but she always appeared to me to be on a straight path to self destruction.

Comment

Working...
                                X