No announcement yet.

iPhone thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...Anyhoo, is there any serious reason for an iPhone 4 owner to update to iOS 6?

There doesn't seem to be any real significant gain, to be fair.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
      Without wanting to "do a Shozuki", I'm not having that at all.

The Galaxy S2 never looks slicker than the iPhone 5 - Sorry, it just doesn't.

The iPhone 4 and 4S look slicker than the cheap, all-plastic feel of the S2.
      If you did not own an iPhone 4 you would not say that.

Guaranteed.

There's really not that much in it, the S2 hardly feels cheap at all. Although I haven't used one at length.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
        If you did not own an iPhone 4 you would not say that.

Guaranteed.

There's really not that much in it, the S2 hardly feels cheap at all. Although I haven't used one at length.
        Wrong.

It's got nothing at all to do with owning an iPhone 4. You don't need to own an iPhone 4 to know that it looks and feels better than a Galaxy S2.

Not knocking the S2 as it was the best Android phone around at one point (and it's certainly not as cheap-looking/feeling as the original Galaxy S), but for hardware quality and build there is no contest. iPhone 4 /4S is superior. And so is the iPhone 5 in that regard, gen-ahead or not.

(Saying this as somebody who was tempted by an S2 and used one fairly extensively, btw).

Comment

Having just gone from a 4 to an S2, I much prefer the all black, thin profile of the S2 and that grid effect on the back. That said I'd agree the iPhone does have a more quality feel being made from glass and metal, but I've had 3 out of 3 go wrong on me so the internal build quality clearly ain't brilliant!

Comment

Wrong.

It's got nothing at all to do with owning an iPhone 4. You don't need to own an iPhone 4 to know that it looks and feels better than a Galaxy S2.

Not knocking the S2 as it was the best Android phone around at one point (and it's certainly not as cheap-looking/feeling as the original Galaxy S), but for hardware quality and build there is no contest. iPhone 4 /4S is superior. And so is the iPhone 5 in that regard, gen-ahead or not.

(Saying this as somebody who was tempted by an S2 and used one fairly extensively, btw).
            Love the way you already know the ip5 is a step ahead without even seeing it
            (I was drunk for the rest of the rant)
            Last edited by ETC; 20-09-2012, 18:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex WS View Post
              Just installed iOS6. So, outside of Passbook (which seems to have almost no use here in Norway) and new maps, there is nothing new to get excited about? And after testing it, I agree with Boris; the new maps suck. The place where I live is only in black and white, and most of the pictures are obstructed by clouds.
              Same here ish

We had a new swing park built about two months ago and it's not on the maps - but at least my house is now there, previously it was just a field

Comment

Originally posted by evilthecatuk View Post
                Love the way you already know the ip5 is a step ahead without even seeing it.. And this is from someone that does own a 4s, reign in the fanboy-ism. And before you rip in to me I will be in Newcastle at 5am to queue to pick up my IP5. Everyone is allowed to like what they like you know be it a IP5, Galaxy S2,3, Lumia or even a classy Nokia 3300.
                Who's being a fanboy? And when did I say that people weren't allowed to like what they want? Have you even seen any of my other posts over the last few pages of this thread?

Reign in your trolling.
                Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 20-09-2012, 06:50.

Comment

It's obviously going to be down to personal preference but my missus has the iPhone 4 and its a brick. It feels more solid than the S2 because it's so weighty but the S2 proves that Apple doesn't streamline the form as much as they could. With only the single face button they're really hampering the functionality of the iPhone as well. It was all well and good when they wanted to mass market the products to the unfamiliar but those days are long gone and these days it's simply clunky and a tad condescending. My missus swore by her iPhone 3/4 for years but we took the S2 on our hol as a camera and 2 weeks of mucking about with it and she hates her iPhone now. The iPhone 5 should, in theory, be easier to use as the screen is a bit bigger and hopefully more responsive than the 4's is... but that's poor to only just be getting to a point the S2 was already better at.

Comment

...Anyhoo, is there any serious reason for an iPhone 4 owner to update to iOS 6?

There doesn't seem to be any real significant gain, to be fair.
                    My family and I use iMessages a lot, so the update which now means any messages sent to your phone number also appear on your Mac and iPad (which is really how it should have been in the first place) is a really useful upgrade for me. Start conversation on iPhone, get home and carry on conversation on iPad, etc.. Very nice. Probably not a killer feature for most people but it's great if it's something you make use of.

Aside from that though there's nothing that I've found (yet) that make it a must have upgrade. Although unless you love Google Maps to death (and I expect Google will release a standalone app of their own soon enough) there's no real downside to upgrading anyway.

Comment

There's a decent review of iOS6 at Ars Technica.

Comment

Thanks for the link. Add shared photostreams and iCloud tabs for Safari (which I should have remembered as I used that feature last night!) to the list of things I will definitely make use of post upgrade. Not revolutionary stuff but iOS6 has definitely improved my iPhone 4.

Comment

those who have preordered the 5, which colour you mostly gone for ?

My 4 is black and 32gb but think i will get a white 5 and just 16gb this time ?

Comment

The new app store in iOS6... specifically reviews, how to find them and how to leave them... WTF...?
                            Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                              The new app store in iOS6... specifically reviews, how to find them and how to leave them... WTF...?
                              You just click on the app then click on reviews (the middle of three options at the top of the screen). Seems straightforward, unless I'm missing something

Comment

Originally posted by HumanEnergy
                                My family and I use iMessages a lot, so the update which now means any messages sent to your phone number also appear on your Mac and iPad (which is really how it should have been in the first place) is a really useful upgrade for me. Start conversation on iPhone, get home and carry on conversation on iPad, etc.. Very nice. Probably not a killer feature for most people but it's great if it's something you make use of.

If you used your email address instead of your phone number on your iPhone, you've been able to do this since iOS 5 came out. I pick up messages across all 3 products all the time

EDIT: Oh and the people saying the Galaxy S2 looks better than the iPhone 5...lol

Comment

Working...
                                X