No announcement yet.

iPhone thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a question about the GPS feature.

Sometimes when using GPS it seems to be wildly inaccurate and somewhat dumb. Other times it seems fine.
    Does this happen with other people's iphone? What is the general accuracy within the nearest metre you get usually? Sometimes mine is a good couple hundred metres out.

Comment

I'm having issues with GPS as well because I dropped my phone. Before I dropped it it was like 100% accurate, but now it isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by El Leone View Post
        I'm having issues with GPS as well because I dropped my phone. Before I dropped it it was like 100% accurate, but now it isn't.
        That doesn't sound good.. I don't think I've dropped mine though.

Comment

I get the same.. could be because I have GPS turned off most of the time but when I want to use it sometimes it just doesn't come anywhere close to pinpointing the correct location even after giving it a good few minutes to get a lock.

Even when I do get an accurate reading the compass is invariably off and shows the figure 8 instructions.

Comment

I still have insurance, so I may take it into O2 or an Apple shop and complain like.

Comment

GPS on my iPhone is absolutely fantastic to be honest so I would take it back if it's not accurate anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Supergoal View Post
                I have a question about the GPS feature.

Sometimes when using GPS it seems to be wildly inaccurate and somewhat dumb. Other times it seems fine.
                Does this happen with other people's iphone? What is the general accuracy within the nearest metre you get usually? Sometimes mine is a good couple hundred metres out.
                The GPS in the Iphone is pretty flimsy, it uses several different things availiable to it in order to get your location and if one of those things isn't providing the right information it can go realy wrong.

Comment

The GPS is a bag of **** to code for imho. It's been the bane of my app development. It never bloody works, and the simulator is hard coded to apple HQ. "Awesome".

Comment

Another annoying problem has come up with my phone.

I uploaded some more music from some CD albums. Put the Cd into the computer, itunes converts the tracks and places them into the music folder. I then synchronized my iphone to put all the new tracks into it. However, when I search through the ipod section of the iphone it seems the album I put in has duplicated itself about 20 times with each duplication having the same title, but a different artist listed instead. When I click into all these duplications, all the tracks are there as they should be, but I can't think why this has happened...

In itunes there isn't any duplicated albums, so it's a problem of the iphone and not itunes.

Also I should have added that, the album is a compilation of various artists. Perhaps this is confusing itunes/iphone?
                    Last edited by Supergoal; 22-10-2009, 02:08.

Comment

Supergoal. I logged that as a bug with Apple, and was told that's how it's supposed to be. Go figure. It was mentioned in another thread (the iPod one I think...). There's a solution, but not sure what it is I think you have to set the Album Artist to be the same? Or the Grouping?

Comment

I uploaded some more music from some CD albums. Put the Cd into the computer, itunes converts the tracks and places them into the music folder. I then synchronized my iphone to put all the new tracks into it. However, when I search through the ipod section of the iphone it seems the album I put in has duplicated itself about 20 times with each duplication having the same title, but a different artist listed instead. When I click into all these duplications, all the tracks are there as they should be, but I can't think why this has happened...

In itunes there isn't any duplicated albums, so it's a problem of the iphone and not itunes.

Also I should have added that, the album is a compilation of various artists. Perhaps this is confusing itunes/iphone?
                        Sounds like you're viewing the songs "By Artist" in which case it's not a problem, the iPhone is doing the correct thing, as they're different artists on the compilation, aren't they? What happens when you tilt the phone and scan through the covers? Are they all in one cover?

You could edit the names in iTunes if you want and change them all to "Various Artists" or something.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisField View Post
                          Supergoal. I logged that as a bug with Apple, and was told that's how it's supposed to be. Go figure. It was mentioned in another thread (the iPod one I think...). There's a solution, but not sure what it is I think you have to set the Album Artist to be the same? Or the Grouping?
                          You logged that as a bug and you're coding your own iPhone apps?

Comment

I'm not quite sure what you mean? Even if I tilt the phone to the album cover view it still comes up with all the duplicate albums.

So basically you're saying that if I want to have an album that has various artists as a compilation I need to manually change the artist names in iTunes to stop duplicate album listings on the phone? That's a pain in the arse if I've ever heard of one...
                            Surely can't the software detect that, yes there are various artists on the cd and album, but yes, it is just one album of the same name! So don't divide and duplicate it! So again basically, iTunes and the iPhone can't detect that then?

Comment

Yeah compilations generally screw up my lovely organised itunes

select all the tracks/artists that are on the compilation, then right click a nd choose 'get info' then there is an option to flag them all as a compilation and that shall sort things out a little bit.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                                Yeah compilations generally screw up my lovely organised itunes

select all the tracks/artists that are on the compilation, then right click a nd choose 'get info' then there is an option to flag them all as a compilation and that shall sort things out a little bit.
                                You're a legend! Cheers dude.

Comment

Working...
                                X